Speaker recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recommendations

andrewh973
09-27-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for recommendations for speakers to accompany my Marantz PM7001 integrated amp and Marantz SA8001 CD Player.

They need to be bookshelf-size for a medium-sized living room, and be able to sound great at lower to moderate volume levels (the occassional blast is in order, too). Music ranges from modern jazz, prog rock, to classical music (orchestra and chamber).

I'd like to keep the budget under $1,000 for the pair (with good cables).

Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks.

Mark111867
09-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Hi. What is your budget?

bobsticks
09-27-2006, 06:55 AM
On the audition list should be the Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 SE and Von Schweikert Audio VR-1s. Both are 8 ohm loads and should be able to be driven by your receiver, although not perhaps to their ultimate potential. Very different sounding speakers and a detailed audition should hip you to some qualities for which to look further.
Some members on the forum are having very good luck with NHTs as well...

Happy hunting

Rock789
09-27-2006, 09:06 AM
x2 for the VR1 in your price range...
very nice sounding speaker...

braminator
09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
With your budget and quality components, I would suggest with the 2 above you check out the Usher line http://www.usherusa.net/ I tried and compared my X719 to Kefs, Klipsche, Focal, and Sonus Farber to name a few comparable speakers from each.

basite
09-27-2006, 11:25 AM
you can also look for wharfedales, they're good, and they'll easily fit in to your price range.

Defshep
09-27-2006, 11:31 AM
I've got a Klipsch Cinema package. The speakers are slightly smaller than bookshelves, but they have plenty of detail and a bit of punch for the size. They are primarily for movie watching, but listening to the way they handle music is a joy.

basite
09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
you can also buy b&w's, we have 604's and they simply rock.

bigfanga
09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Quad 11L or 12L.

Dusty Chalk
09-27-2006, 01:31 PM
I'll second the Quads and/or the Focals.

Woochifer
09-27-2006, 04:15 PM
The choice of speaker will depend a lot on whether you prefer a forward sounding speaker or something more laid back, or something in between. Aside from the choices that the others have mentioned, you should give Paradigm, Energy, PSB, Dynaudio, NHT, Definitive Technology, and Vandersteen a try. All of them have multiple options in your price range and should be fairly easy to find if you live close to a big city. The Def Techs and Vandys in particular will likely sound very different from other models. You might like them, you might not, but they're worth listening to. Magnepan also has the popular MMG model available by mail order, but you can try out some of their larger floorstanding models at a local dealer to see if you like that type of sound.

drseid
09-28-2006, 01:02 AM
The VR-1s already mentioned make sense from my perspective as well... Other options I can also recommend are the Opera Audio Eric-1s (that I bought for my office system and am very happy with) and the Linn Katans (excellent mini-monitors, but quite bass shy).

---Dave

Duds
09-28-2006, 05:38 AM
for the Von Schweikert VR-1's. excellent speaker, and you can get them well under your $1k price range.

I'm sure Topspeed with vote for them as well.

SCH
09-29-2006, 04:41 PM
I'd recommend you at least give a good listen to the Focal Chorus series or the Profile. Very nice clarity for fans of jazz and classical.

Rock789
09-30-2006, 07:04 AM
I'd recommend you at least give a good listen to the Focal Chorus series or the Profile. Very nice clarity for fans of jazz and classical.
how much are the profile bookshielfs?
I have a set of the Chorus 706 S and they are very nice speakers for ~$500, but imo, the VR1's are a lot better (and around 2x as much)

on the other note, if you want to look at floorstanders, the Chorus 716 S are very nice in the <$1000 price range...

RoyY51
10-01-2006, 09:39 AM
...the Monitor Audio Silver line. My MA Bronze 2's sounded great through the Marantz SR780 that I used before my current receiver, the Nad T763. In fact, the bass response was actually better through the Marantz than with the Nad. I have heard that, as good as the Bronze series is, the Silver series trumps it in all depts. I recall reading a review in one of the leading audio rags where the well-respected reviewer stated that the MA Silver under consideration was the best he'd ever heard in it's price range.

Happy Hunting!

jrhymeammo
10-01-2006, 09:12 PM
I've been wanting to audition VR-1 for awhile now, but no dealer within 250 miles. Am I in a hunt for another pair of bookshelf? Mmmmm...
If you or anyone is interested in Von Schweikert speakers, why not here instead of Audiogon?

http://www.higherfi.com/order_vsa.htm#vsavr2

They are all about 30% off.

PeeEast

-JRA

jrhymeammo
10-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Edit: Please checkl that site yourself to see how credible they are.

basite
10-02-2006, 01:01 AM
at the hifi show in brussels, i listened to the focals, the chorus series and they actually sounded really good, really clear and they weren't to expensive either.

try them.

cvc
10-04-2006, 12:04 PM
"I recall reading a review in one of the leading audio rags where the well-respected reviewer stated that the MA Silver under consideration was the best he'd ever heard in it's price range ."

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/

Monitor Audio speakers always receive fantastic reviews. Bookshelf and floorstanders. The only problem is finding a place to hear and buy them. If you here them, most likely you will buy them.

However, It's quite possible that the Monitor line might be sold at the new Magnolia Best Buy stores.

Here is the Monitor Audio website. Use the "locate a dealer" option for your area.http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/

Woochifer
10-04-2006, 01:49 PM
"I recall reading a review in one of the leading audio rags where the well-respected reviewer stated that the MA Silver under consideration was the best he'd ever heard in it's price range ."

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/

Monitor Audio speakers always receive fantastic reviews. Bookshelf and floorstanders. The only problem is finding a place to hear and buy them. If you here them, most likely you will buy them.

However, It's quite possible that the Monitor line might be sold at the new Magnolia Best Buy stores.

Here is the Monitor Audio website. Use the "locate a dealer" option for your area.http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/

Nope, not at the Magnolia Home Theater/Best Buy stores. The bookshelf speakers they carry in that price range are from Vienna Acoustics and Sonus Faber.

Monitor Audio is sold through some CompUSA stores, but the demo setups at their stores unfortunately are poorly situated.

jack201
10-06-2006, 07:07 AM
x5 on the VR-1s. I had 604s. They can and depending on your listening levels probably will push your amp to clipping real quick and fry your receiver, the hungry beasts. 602.5s or 603s are a better bet for you.

I'd also look at the Dali Ikon range, the new Dynaudio Focus range, Revel and Paradigm depending on your personal tastes.