Too late Tunesday [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Too late Tunesday

Davey
09-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Going round and round with that new Wovenhand CD this past week. Called Mosaic and really fine music. My favorite of the year so far. Also been spinning something from the other 2/3 alumni of Sixteen Horsepower, Lilium. They put out a very nice disc called Short Stories that was reissued last year in a 2-disc pack, CD and DVD-A. The DVD isn't really what I'd call a true DVD-A since it just has 16-bit / 48KHz tracks in 5.1 DTS/Dolby and LPCM Stereo, but still sounds very nice. Especially at only $5 from the amazon marketplace. Some great guests, including the reunion of 16 HP on one track.

Also been listening to a very nice thing from one of my buddies around here by the band The Bella Low. Called "Inside Closed Eyes". Some shoegaze mixed with a bit of early 80s goth sound. Pretty cool. Also scored a cheap copy of the latest from the High Violets, an offshoot of that now defunct Bella Low featuring the guitarist Clint Sargent, and a very good singer in Kaitlyn ni Donovan. Released the beginning of the year, it's called To Where You Are and has a lot of that swirly guitar, dreamy fem vocal shoegaze sound we all love. Or at least one or two of us. Maybe a bit too light and Cocteau Twins-like at times, but some very nice sounds when they crank it a bit :)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/highviolets2

And some Neko Case and some Canonball Adderley. But mostly a bunch of 16 HP branches.

Slosh
09-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Going round and round with that new Wovenhand CD this past week. Called Mosaic and really fine music. My favorite of the year so far. Also been spinning something from the other 2/3 alumni of Sixteen Horsepower, Lilium. They put out a very nice disc called Short Stories that was reissued last year in a 2-disc pack, CD and DVD-A. The DVD isn't really what I'd call a true DVD-A since it just has 16-bit / 48KHz tracks in 5.1 DTS/Dolby and LPCM Stereo, but still sounds very nice. Especially at only $5 from the amazon marketplace. Some great guests, including the reunion of 16 HP on one track.
Note to me:
Buy this while you are out picking up The Crane Wife and Dreamt For LightYears In The Belly Of A Mountain!! :)

Hey, whatever happened to All You Need To Sleep or whatever it's called? Is it out? :confused:

NP: Fugazi - Live In DC 7/01/02 (live music archive stuff)

BradH
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Stack for the week:

Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time - remastered
Hawkwind - Friday Rock Show Sessions - Lemmy shows up for the encore to show us what speed does to your body. Liner notes sez only Gong and Grateful Dead were equally impervious to changing fashion. That's some deep sh!t with those three bands.
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You - remastered
Frank Zappa - Imaginary Diseases - The latest official release. Recorded in '72 w/ the Petite Wazoo Band. Instantly goes in my top 5 Zappa titles and I've got about 38 of 'em.
Grateful Dead - Download Series: Family Dog at the Great Highway, (San Francisco 2-4-70) All of these GD Download Series sound great.
Brazil Classics 2: O Samba (compiled by David Byrne)
The Music Never Stopped: The Roots of the Grateful Dead - Cool cover by R. Crumb
Brooklyn Funk Essentials - Cool and Steady and Easy

A ton of boots: Pink Floyd (Amsterdam '69), Grateful Dead (Red Rocks '87, Berkeley '88) and the Amougies Festival from Dime a few months ago - which sounds like hell but is great fun with 1969 era Nice, Yes, Captain Beefheart and Soft Machine. Gong was there too but maybe the guy ran out of batteries. Still, you can get a llama load of mono FLAC files on one CDR.. It's almost 4 hours. If you're into that.

Jim Clark
09-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I've got the next to the last High Violets disc, this one came without me really knowing it was even around. Guess I should look into it. I've also been meaning to grab that Woven Hand disc, just haven't got around to it yet for some reason.

Enjoyed the Vox Trot EP, but it wasn't as great as I had hoped, especially given how long I waited for it show up back in stock for my special order. Oh well...

Been spinning some vinyl since getting the Dual back from the shop. Scrounging wasn't really revealed anything all that great but I'm early in my searches. Today played Mighty Lemon Drops' Happy Head and Modern Romans from The Call. Still just using the preamp section of the old Yamaha in the bedroom system. Maybe tomorrow I'll try moving it downstairs into the main room and use the QED Discsaver that Nobody mailed down to me. Thanks again for doing that, it was awesome of you.

Really like the new TV On The Radio, talk about a band that wouldn't exist without David Bowie's influence. As unusual as it is I like hearing some black guys that can rock but that's been secondary to the music. Looking like a pretty solid top 10 pick for me so far.

Gotta head off to work now that you all are just making your way back from the office. Take care.

jc

Dusty Chalk
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Pandora lately. I forgot my CD's one day last week, and have been hooked ever since. If anyone wants to try the station I listen to (warning -- it's extremely mellow -- think Yanni on ludes), here (http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh152865982078374261).

Jim, just picked up that Album Leaf, haven't listened to it yet.

Jim Clark
09-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Pandora lately. I forgot my CD's one day last week, and have been hooked ever since. If anyone wants to try the station I listen to (warning -- it's extremely mellow -- think Yanni on ludes), here (http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh152865982078374261).

Jim, just picked up that Album Leaf, haven't listened to it yet.

Lemme know what you think. I went to the store with the "Sub Pop" decal on the the door and asked for it. They kinda looked at me weird and said that all they really carry is Nirvana. The look I gave them back encouraged them to remove the decal from the door. I mean seriously, WTF?

Mike
09-27-2006, 04:32 AM
In spite of somebody’s recent post about the sh##ty music from the UK I’ve picked up a few goodies recently worth talking about.

Union of Knives – Violence and Birdsong
Nice debut from a Glasgow band full of dark swooping synths and pop melodies, it’s a real grower and I could see Jim C or Dusty liking this.

Alexi Murdoch – Time Without Consequence
Seems like anybody who is solo and plays acoustic guitar gets compared to Nick Drake these days. But this guy (another Scot) is closer than most, perhaps more so for his guitar style, but he has a good voice too. Production wise it has that old world sound to it which is appealing too.

Scott Matthews – Passing Stranger
Another mainly acoustic album in the folk vein with the Nick Drake/Jeff Buckley influence but this guy mixes it up a bit. Worth buying for the standout track ‘Elusive’ which must be the best song I’ve heard in years.

Plus some other stuff that came my way but not really had chance to digest it yet like…

Hot Chip – The Warning
Espers – Espers II
Yo La Tengo – I Am Not Afraid…

Cheers
Mike

Davey
09-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Note to me:
Buy this while you are out picking up The Crane Wife and Dreamt For LightYears In The Belly Of A Mountain!! :)

Which one? Keep me posted on the Sparklehorse. I've heard a couple people say that it's a slight letdown, and some of the songs have been previously released, but I think it's all new to me and I'm looking forward to it...

Hey, whatever happened to All You Need To Sleep or whatever it's called? Is it out? :confused:
No info on this end, but another that I'm highly interested in. The Hellsayers are apparently on tour now so the album must be in the can and soon to be released. Or so I hope. They just did a gig with the Long Winters last weekend ...
http://www.thegreyeagle.com/calendar/2006/09/24/the_long_winters_w_wayne_robbins_the_hellsayers.ph p

One of the singers on the Lilium disc I mentioned is a Denver lady by the name of Kal Cahoone. What a cool voice. Guess that whole scene is kind of incestuous in the musical sense, much like in Chicago with a lot of my favorite artists. Anyway, she's in a band named Tarantella. Might have to pick up their debut. Kind of a sleepy but exotic gypsy sound ... and what a cool voice :)

http://www.westword.com/Issues/2005-11-03/music/music.html

nobody
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
The Bowie thread got me going through a bunch of his stuff.

Oddly enough I had been listening to <b>Hunky Dory</b> the morning I saw the thread, but then came home and have listened to <b>Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars</b>, <b>Station to Station</b>, <b>Low</b>, and <b>Space Oddity</b>. Unfortunately, scratched the hell out of side 1 of Ziggy, so now need to immediately find a replacement...that's not one I'm willing to live without.

Played some Charlie Parker this morning. It’s a 2 CD compilation called <b>Yardbird Suite</b> and is really good. Would like to get more into Parker, but his discography is a bit intimidating.

Listened to <b>ISAN: Plans Drawn in Pencil</b> some more, really like that one.

Spun <b>The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers</b>, an excellent release, although not so sure I wouldn't rather just get another White Stripes record.

Picked up the <b>Groovie Ghoulies: Berry'd Alive</b>, a fun 10" orange vinyl record of all Chuck Berry covers done up all high octane style. They take mostly lesser known tracks except for carol, where I kinda think they may as well pick the bigger and often better tunes, not like they're unearthing some obscure artist here. Still, lots of fun.

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my <b>Darkel</b> record, but thing’s backordered so now I have to get all impatient. It’s from one of the fellas in Air, and what I’ve heard off it so far will please Air fans.

Slosh
09-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Which one?Oops, the Lilium, I mean. Speaking of hi-rez (which 16/48 is not, obviously) I was listening to some of my SACDs and DVD-As last weekend and it's a damn shame the record companies never got behind these formats in a meaningful way. Without exception every disc I own sounds better than the same album on CD, and with the SACDs at least, every bit as good as vinyl. Some are better than others of course but that has nothing to do with formats and everything to do with the original recording.

NP: Holopaw - s/t

Dusty Chalk
09-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I saw that Darkel record came out, and it's on my wishlist, but there are so many things to get right now, that I didn't get it.

Also, forgot to mention last week's LOTW: Supersystem, A Million Microphones. A really dig this band. This is their "difficult sophomoric release", and there's two approaches to that -- one is to keep doing what you're doing, the other is to try to do something completely different. And most bands do something between the two. Supersystem tended more towards the keep doing what you're doing thing, although they did experiment a little. It was kind of bizarre to hear a harp in what is basically a hip hoppy piece, and yet it worked. That sort of thing. Recommended if the description (Beastie Boys meets Remain in Light era Talking Heads) appeals to you. I'd be happy to play you a track on request. (Heck, try looking them up on Pandora.) And how can I not love lyrics like these:

"...The tower did what towers do, it reached a mobile into the sky,
The sky got tired of being blue, it turned black; the night had arrived."

superpanavision70mm
09-28-2006, 11:16 PM
One thing that struck me out of this...

I have heard a few disaster stories about those CD/DVD-A combo deals. In fact, I picked up The Flaming Lips THE SOFT BULLETIN, which came as a CD/DVD-A, which was a shear train wreck. The HDCD is just fine, but the DVD-A, which contains Dolby 5.1, stereo, and I think MLP 5.1 is just TERRIBLE! The mix sounds like a 2-year old was at the wheel on this one turning knobs, pressing faders, pulling the volume switch all over the place. It's absolutely worth listening to sometime just to see how bad something can be. This will serve as a great reference point for how NOT to do 5.1 remixes. Seriously if anyone else has heard this give a HOLLA.

Dusty Chalk
09-29-2006, 10:08 AM
I have that. I remember it being what is termed an "aggressive" surround mix, but you have to realize, Wayne & co. are...well...DUI. So the two-year-old analogy is probably apt.

That said, I enjoy aggressive surround mixes. If you want realism, go listen to some "audiophile" music.

Slosh
09-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Keep me posted on the Sparklehorse. I've heard a couple people say that it's a slight letdown, and some of the songs have been previously released, but I think it's all new to me and I'm looking forward to it...So far, so good. Virgin spin here but initially it sounds a bit more rawkin' than It's A Wonderful Life but it's too early for me to say it's more Good Morning Spider-ish just yet . . . one of the tracks reminded me of "Hundreds Of Sparrows" at first though. I believe the writing of many of these songs go back five or more years. Sounds pretty good too. Gotta put it on the big system and see if I still think the sonics are okay. Gimme a few days to get to know it.

Davey
09-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Gimme a few days to get to know it.
Thanks for the word. Ordered it myself yesterday. I mean, it is new Sparklehorse! The recent new and used ones I've picked up, besides the Woven Hand "Mosaic" and Neko Case "Fox Confessor", some already mentioned up above, and beyond ...

Lilium - Short Stories (CD/DVD-A, love love love this one, kind of an Americana tinged version that 4AD house band, This Mortal Coil, with some amazing guest vocals, and great musicianship all around, stunning work, even with the slight quibble that it's only presented in 16-bit/48KHz resolution 5.1 DTS/Dolby and stereo LPCM)

The High Violets - To Where You Are (some cool and dreamy 2006 shoegazing riding on the vocals of Kaitlyn ni Donovan and the guitars of Clint Sargent, rising up from the ashes of the great Bella Low, a cool band that I only recently discovered through the generosity of unleasHell)

Rodrigo: Concierto De Aranjuez/Concerto Serenade: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/Peters/Zabaleta/Behrend (an old favorite on LP, now a new favorite on CD, Behrend's guitar lights up Aranjuez like no other I've heard, and I've heard a bunch)

Woven Hand - Blush Music (the only one of the 4 Wovenhand discs I'm missing, a cinematic reworking of the debut by one of my favorite artists, and part of a very noteworthy family, be it the original 16 Horsepower and their Denver posse, or the branches of Lilium and Wovenhand)

Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain (a favorite ever since hearing those crazily distorted vocals and eerie music and fragmented lyric images that open the debut LP on "Homecoming Queen" back in '95, left me totally mesmerized, each album a new adventure, hard to believe he's been a major label artist from the start)

Carla Bozulich - Evangelista (that crazy lady from the Geraldine Fibbers connects with those psycho-ambient space shifters from Godspeed You Black Emperor, A Silver Mt. Zion, Gowns, Black Ox Orkestar and Mae-****heir for a harrowing adventure in the darkness, lost somewhere between the earth and my home, a catharsis of howls and drones, broken beauty)

TV on the Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain (I know, grab a hold and jump up on the bandwagon, but I did really like the debut too, so it's not like I'm blindly following the hype machine, is it? :))

Slosh
09-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Actually, the only previously released song here AFAIK is "Maxine" which was only available on the LP version of It's A Wonderful Life. Once through now and it's definitely not as mellow as that last one, but it's nothing unexpected or disappointing either. :)

NP: Spoon's 2004 Austin City Limits show (live archive music flac thingie) :cool:

Davey
09-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Actually, the only previously released song here AFAIK is "Maxine" which was only available on the LP version of It's A Wonderful Life.

I think "Morning Hollow" and "Ghost In The Sky" were bonus tracks on some versions of Wonderful Life (not my UK copy, but maybe the JPN or US version), and the previous version of the title track you mention was also on the Gold Day EP, and "Shade and Honey" was used in the Laurel Canyon movie and released on the soundtrack, although sung by Allesandro Nivela back then, and a couple others were released as singles prior to the album release, but that last one doesn't really count and wasn't what I was referring to, but like I said, it's all new to me so no biggie :)