USAF member request A.R. advice between two A/V Receivers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : USAF member request A.R. advice between two A/V Receivers?

D-MANN
09-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Whatsup AUDIO REVIEW...??

I am back again requesting your best advice as I am in the process of setting up my own home theater.

FYI: I own a 40 inch Samsung LCD HDTV
Speakers: Celestion F30 and F35c

MISSION: A/V RECEIVER

ONLY 2 OPTIONS:

-Pioneer (VSX-816-S) 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver

-Yamaha (HTR-5940BL) 6.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

These are my ONLY 2 options as I am making a purchase at my Military Base Exchange store.
I don't care too much for the 7.1 channel, it's not a big issue to me, but if you had to choose, which one and why?

What is your recommendation?

Looking to make a purchase ASAP!

Thanks

D-mann

kexodusc
09-26-2006, 04:42 AM
Mmmm...I'm guessing the Pioneer might be a bit cheaper....I'm a Yamaha fan (my current, and previous 2 receivers were Yammies), like a lot of their models, but that Pioneer unit is beefier, and offers more than the smaller Yamaha.
The only concern maybe "build quality" but I'm guessing you get by fine, there's no glaring bad reviews on these Pioneers. Chances are it's cheaper too, so maybe look into extended warranty if you're really worried (I wouldn't be).

That Pioneer would be more comparable to the HTR-5960 model, a few steps up. Don't worry about the name "Pioneer", in the last few years, they've been making excellent units. They're not the same crap like the entry level JVC, Sony, and Panasonic receivers...

I know you said only 2 options, but if you could ever find the VSX-1016 receiver, it is an absolute legend killer for the money...

Give them both a listen if you can, you might find sound quality of one more to your liking (personally I think they sound pretty much the same).

Good luck dude...pleasure to help, my old man's USAF, spent a lot of my youth at AFB Minot.

Cheers!

D-MANN
09-26-2006, 05:11 AM
Thanks kexodusc for the info...

This is a quick reply because I am heading to work right now, but thanks, I will replay again later.

D-Mann

Dusty Chalk
09-26-2006, 01:52 PM
From the information that I can find online, they look pretty similar, so I would take kexodusc's advice, since he's actually heard similar models. I have a feeling the sound'll be really close, though, and I don't think you could go wrong either way. If you can listen first, do so. Good luck!

D-MANN
09-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Ohh...FYI

PRICE is NOT a factor...

BOTH RECEIVER's are priced at $220.00(no TAX) at the Base Exchange.

D-MANN
09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks Dusty Chalk...

So far from what I read in several places, I feel that I cannot make a "wrong" decision here.....

Does any one else have any additional comments....I WELCOME THEM...???
I am sooo ready to make a purchase.

I guess I was wondering if their was a silver bullet that put one RECEIVER past the other.....?

paul_pci
09-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Silver bullets in this case are going to be something like features, user interface, and the remote control; otherwise, audio quality differences should be negligible. So, if you can discerns these types of differences between the models, noting of course that Yamaha rules the universe like no other can, then you might be swayed to one receiver over the other.

D-MANN
09-27-2006, 07:31 AM
THANKS AudioReview

I PURCHASED THE:

FEEDBACK TO COME;

THANKS AGAIN!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:9:

GMichael
09-27-2006, 07:44 AM
THANKS AudioReview

I PURCHASED THE:

FEEDBACK TO COME;

THANKS AGAIN!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:9:

No no no! Bring that piece of crap back and go get that Yammie. The Yamaha is better because, uhm, oh.. yeah, I'm just joking. The Pioneer is a fine unit that will bring you many hours of joy. Just couldn't resist a chance to be a @#%!

Enjoy the sounds. Nice system you put together there.

Defshep
09-27-2006, 11:23 AM
I think you'll love playing with the Pioneer. Let us know how you like it once you're all set up. Zoltar may be interested as well.

D-MANN
09-27-2006, 06:34 PM
No no no! Bring that piece of crap back and go get that Yammie. The Yamaha is better because, uhm, oh.. yeah, I'm just joking. The Pioneer is a fine unit that will bring you many hours of joy. Just couldn't resist a chance to be a @#%!

OMG...MY JAW DROPPED WHEN I READ THAT....

whewwww...:thumbsup:

D-MANN
09-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Let us know how you like it once you're all set up.

FOR SURE!!!

:2: