Tower Records bankruptcy story. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tower Records bankruptcy story.

Finch Platte
02-05-2004, 06:48 PM
J, you're lagging.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040205/music_nm/music_tower_dc_1

fp

Dusty Chalk
02-05-2004, 08:58 PM
It's not my fault!

MindGoneHaywire
02-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Hey, give me a break. Actually there's been a lingering thread on the Velvet Rope for quite some time discussing the imminent filing, so it wasn't something that was completely new to me.

It's funny, I was in the main Tower here in NYC a couple of weeks ago, & I was appalled. I used to shop there fairly regularly not long after they opened some 20 years ago, on my NYC trips. It seemed like the greatest record store of all time. They had everything, it was a unique layout, the prices weren't bad, you could always find anything you were looking for, even stuff that indie stores didn't have. They opened up a 2nd location in Manhattan, & that place was pretty cool, too. But...music has changed so much since then that I guess it's become much more difficult to provide that kind of service, between fragmenting, & whatever negative effects the industry has actually felt from downloading (which is to say, I don't deny there has been an effect, just that I don't buy it's as bad as the RIAA says, especially given the way the economy has been the past few years). I had to pick something up for a friend & was appalled at the state the place was in. I wasn't surprised they were thatclose to bankruptcy. There was a monster line, one register open, a few security guys, but not one person that I saw on the floor--which consists of three levels--to help, and I actually needed help finding what I was looking for. It was sad, but also kind of a disgrace. The place was a mess, & there was nobody there to do anything about straightening it out. Unfortunate.