Reel to Reel Recordings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Reel to Reel Recordings

Kristos
09-24-2006, 08:24 PM
hello,

i just added a Teac 3340S to my system and i am curious if there are known sites or stores that trade or otherwise carry reel to reel recordings. there is a lot on ebay however i'm looking for something less auction-like and more store-front. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

~kd

SlumpBuster
09-25-2006, 06:38 AM
Nice addition. Reel to Reel can be alot of fun, I've dabbled in the past with garage sale machines but never took the plunge on a decent machine. You have to remember that for most RtoR hobbyists, it is the recording, whether mixes or amateur live, that attracts people. Playing prerecorded RtoR is a side branch for many, but it is the part I like the most. Its a little historical snapshot. Also, with tape supplies dwindling (I seem to recall an announcement from Ampeg recently that they were no longer making 1/4 inch tape), a lot of prerecorded stuff is canabalized if it isn't paticularly interesting.

Accordingly, your best bet to to hunt used record stores in your area. Many have boxes of RtoR sitting in the back. Just ask them. Its amazing how many newbies in a record store will be afraid to speak up, especially if the regulars are already engaged in coversation. Many used record stores buy large estate collections of records, many of which include some reels.

Also, check out audioasylum.com. Lots of vintage hobbyists over there. They may have better online store referrals.

Kristos
09-25-2006, 06:50 AM
thanks so much for the reply and the great info. last night i started a list of vintage vinyl shops in the DC area. should provide me with some foundation to start with. i am intrigued by the prerecorded stuff from the r2r hayday. there just seems to be a uniqueness about them and that is something i gravitate toward.

just got word from the merchant that my unit will ship tomorrow. the challenge now is to have something to play by the time it arrives.

thanks agian!

~kd

Resident Loser
09-25-2006, 08:02 AM
...you might not nave the paperwork/manuals, the 3340 is a discrete four-track, Simul-Sync uni-directional deck that uses 1/4" tape on 7 or 10 in. reels, with speeds of 7.5 and 15 ips...suited to semi-pro use and overdubs.

You have to be careful that any tapes you do finally purchase meet these operating parameters...Some tapes may be half-track stereo or quarter-track stereo (which will need to be flipped, you may also have to simply throw a few switches or lower output volume)...Vintage discrete Quad tapes would probably be cool to find...

jimHJJ(...my 3440 is still alive and kickin' after 20+ years...have fun...)

royphil345
09-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Don't know if I'd put any money into reel recordings these days... Sad truth is they're getting old and tape just doesn't hold up that well. They've been having problems with old master tapes stored under optimal conditions. Like I said, It's sad... Was the best sounding format out there, but thanks to "progress"...

squeegy200
09-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Don't know if I'd put any money into reel recordings these days... Sad truth is they're getting old and tape just doesn't hold up that well. They've been having problems with old master tapes stored under optimal conditions. Like I said, It's sad... Best sounding format out there, but thanks to "progress"...

Unfortunately true -- The magnetic media while stored in rolls, will eventually fade(Even under ideal storage conditions) compelling many archivists to transfer precious recordings to other media.

As someone mentioned, the enjoyment with R2R equipment is in the recording. I purchased a handful of fresh 7" reels from Quantegy only to be told, they were no longer going to produce anymore. I don't believe there are any other manufacturers of fresh R2R tape in 7" format.

Commercially made Prerecorded material ceased production many years ago. Any that you may find will likely have deteriorated or exhibit high degrees of fading by now.