Analog Advice, por favor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Analog Advice, por favor

daviethek
09-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Its been 25 years since I had a turntable. My last player was a Thorens 101 something and I had a Shure cartridge on it. I sounded great. The Thorens could take a punch. Loved the way it played rock and Big band jazz. Well, that was a long time and several systems ago my friends. I finally have the inspiration to do this again. Why? because quite frankly, most of my CD's are poorly made stuff from the 80's and 90's and for many of them, I want to hear the way they should sound while I still have respectable hearing left. I also am starting to re-listen to the rock of my youth. (65 to 75). Since my system is kind of revealing, the poor quality of the CD's are fully .... revealed. I can't do very much to make them sound better except to change the source to something I know sounds better. Its a new world but I promise to take better care of my albumns this time, Mom.

Anyway, I kind of don't know where to start and I would appreciate some advice from you folks because I have seen some very thoughtful recommendations coming from these threads over the last couple of years. I have lost touch with what is new in turntables ( belt vs direct drive vs. nuclear steam driven etc.) and supporting gizmos.

This is what I need, I think

-Turntable,
-cartridge,
-some inexpensive devices to assist me in alligning the cartridge ( I never did that)
- a simple cleaning device recommendation,
- some way to reduce vibrations to the table ( wood floor, ancient house)
- a phono pre-amp. A simple tube circuit would be good I think because my SS gear is a
little bit edgy and foreward.

My budget for all this stuff would be around 1,200 to 1,400 us. so I am talking about respectable budget gear. I am open to used gear because i have bought lots of stuff that way and was seldom dissapointed.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your comments. dk

jrhymeammo
09-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Hello DK,

Did you build your Van Alstein from a kit?
If you did, maybe you can consider this.

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/seduction.htm

I think Bellari VP129 is less expensive, but this has dual-mono circuitry. Alot of good option on 6DJ8 tubes too.:thumbsup:

That'll leave you with more than $1000 on TT and a cartridge.
Other members will give you great advices on that. Do you prefer Automatic function on TT?

As for accessory, I'm extremely happy with Mobile Fidelity Brush and alignment tool from TurntableBasics.com I didnt have much success on DIY record fluid, but others have expressed great results.

I posted a link to a website that you can print up free alignment grid. That'll be great for emergency use, but not so sure for L/T usage.

Isolation device may be best to determine after which TT you are going with.
-JRA

JohnMichael
09-24-2006, 02:00 PM
-Turntable,
-cartridge,
-some inexpensive devices to assist me in alligning the cartridge ( I never did that)
- a simple cleaning device recommendation,
- some way to reduce vibrations to the table ( wood floor, ancient house)
- a phono pre-amp. A simple tube circuit would be good I think because my SS gear is a
little bit edgy and foreward.

For a turntable I would suggest the Rega P3. It is a proven design and will last you many years. It is in your budget. Phono cartridge will depend on your phono preamp but I like the Ortofon OM 20 and it works well in the Rega arms but others will work well. At only $50. the best alignment device is the MoFi Geo Disc. It will work with any table. Many suggest the Bellari phono preamp for $249. I have not heard it and I use a Rotel phono preamp. Cambridge Audio just came out with a phono preamp and if it is as smooth as its integrated amps you might enjoy it at a savings. A wall mount ttable platform screwed into the studs to avoid floor vibrations.

Rega P3 $700
Ortofon OM 20 $150
Geo Disc $ 50
Phono pre $250 or $180 for CA
Wall shelf $200

Total $1350 or $1280

Enjoy your shopping. For the phono preamp you might want to try used as they are fairly simple and not much to go wrong.

jrhymeammo
09-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Question to Rega arm owners.

What do yo guys do about VTA? Do you guys own about 3 TT mats for each cartridge? I have seen some tonearm base insert that'll allow some adjustment.

How about Music Hall MMF-7 on audiogon. You can get them for around $700 with Goldring Eroica H output MC cart about once a week. It has isolated motor assembly, aclyric platter, record clamp, and cone feet. That with Pro-Ject Tube Box mkII for $375.

Besides that, I'm not sure if you can get a tube based phono for under $1000 new.

JoeE SP9
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
I use a J.A. Mitchell VTA adjuster for my RB-300. $45 at www.needledoctor.com (http://www.needledoctor.com) :cool:

JohnMichael
09-25-2006, 08:09 AM
I use the Rega 2mm spacer with the Ortofon OM20 and remove the spacer when using the Grado Red or the Sumiko Blue Point 2. Since each change in VTA will cause your overhang and offset angle to change I find an average VTA. Then I work for more exact overhang and offset which to my ears is more important.

daviethek
09-26-2006, 03:41 PM
thanks Joe, JHRY , and JM Lots to consider. I got a suggestion to consider a Technics 1200 m something with a Shure M95 vintage cartridge. Is that more of a mid-fi set-up or am I shorting myself on quality compared to the REGA 3. ? Are there any decent performing Thorens tables in the same price range? The Rega is around 700. What kind of subtle improvements might I expect in that unit vs. a 500.00 unit? Starting to agonize like I did with the CD player choice.