Battle for gaming console supremacy begins [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Battle for gaming console supremacy begins

Lensman
09-23-2006, 06:00 AM
The first shots in the three-way battle between Sony's PlayStation 3, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii have been fired:

Sony cuts its PS3 price in Japan by 20%, makes HDMI standard on all US consoles:

Sony will cut the [Japanese] price of its basic PlayStation 3 model to 47,600 yen, or about $410, from an originally planned 59,800 yen, or $515. That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen, or $427."

"The PS3 won't get a price cut in the U.S., but the lower-end model will be getting an HDMI port, originally going to be left out of the cheaper system.

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/15727.html

Microsoft to sell add-on HD DVD player in Japan upgrade consoles to 1080p:

Microsoft Corp. said on Wednesday it would launch an HD DVD player for its Xbox 360 game console on November 22 in Japan for 20,790 yen ($177), matching rival Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 in high-definition DVD functions.

But the HD DVD launch isn't the only good news for 360 fans -- Microsoft has also announced a software update for later in the year that will enable 1080p output, says Engadget.

"Your rig will finally benefit by pushing the full 60 megapixels per second of visuals to your compatible HDTV. Sorry, no HDMI cable yet (or ever?), though, this is only over component and VGA. Users can expect 1080p upscaling immediately on current games and DVDs and native 1080p on compatible HD DVD titles, but Microsoft hasn't yet announced future games that will rock 1080p natively."

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/15667.html

Japanese industry watchers believe Nintendo's Wii could take top spot in Japan:

"It looks like Nintendo is giving everything they possibly can for the Wii console," said Hiroshi Kamide, director of the research department at KBC Securities Japan, who also spoke at the correspondents' club. "Nintendo hasn't had a successful machine for the last ten years, so for us analysts it's quite difficult to imagine a scenario where Nintendo is actually going to win. But for me right now, especially in Japan at least, Nintendo does seem to have the upper hand."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127224/article.html

Groundbeef
09-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Microsoft to sell add-on HD DVD player in Japan upgrade consoles to 1080p:

Microsoft Corp. said on Wednesday it would launch an HD DVD player for its Xbox 360 game console on November 22 in Japan for 20,790 yen ($177), matching rival Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 in high-definition DVD functions.

But the HD DVD launch isn't the only good news for 360 fans -- Microsoft has also announced a software update for later in the year that will enable 1080p output, says Engadget.

"Your rig will finally benefit by pushing the full 60 megapixels per second of visuals to your compatible HDTV. Sorry, no HDMI cable yet (or ever?), though, this is only over component and VGA. Users can expect 1080p upscaling immediately on current games and DVDs and native 1080p on compatible HD DVD titles, but Microsoft hasn't yet announced future games that will rock 1080p natively."

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/15667.html

Man, it must be killing you to have to admit that the 360 CAN push 1080p, after boasting that IT NEVER CAN. Oooops....ah well I've had to eat enough crow in my life.

Enjoy your slice.

kexodusc
09-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Great....now if they'd just knock another 33% off the price, I might buy one...

Groundbeef
09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Great....now if they'd just knock another 33% off the price, I might buy one...

Move to Japan. It appears that the collective....EEEEIIIIIII....has caused Sony to drop the PS3 price by 20%. This move was in direct reaction to the negative and relentless complaints that Sony was getting in regards to the higher price point. Sony has indicated that the US WILL NOT be getting any similar price break.

Industry analysts are predicting an additional 2-3 years for SONY to recoup costs on hardware. What a boondogle.

In other news, it has come to the forefront that the PS3 WILL NOT suppot online play for Tony Hawk 8, or Virtua Tennis. Why you may ask? From industry insiders at both development compainies, Sony has not provided enough dev kits, or direction on how to code for online play. It appears that Sony's "FREE" online play is developing into "NO" online play.

As discussed in earlier threads, if games are the same, people will be looking for something to draw them into 1 console vs another. This may be enough to draw PS3 Gamers over to the 360. Both mentioned games WILL be online enabled for the 360.

No decsion with regards as to the "Wii" controller lying on the floor to be used as a skateboard. :smile5:

nightflier
09-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Microsoft Corp. said on Wednesday it would launch an HD DVD player for its Xbox 360 game console on November 22 in Japan for 20,790 yen ($177), matching rival Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 in high-definition DVD functions. But the HD DVD launch isn't the only good news for 360 fans -- Microsoft has also announced a software update for later in the year that will enable 1080p output, says Engadget. "Your rig will finally benefit by pushing the full 60 megapixels per second of visuals to your compatible HDTV. Sorry, no HDMI cable yet (or ever?), though, this is only over component and VGA. Users can expect 1080p upscaling immediately on current games and DVDs and native 1080p on compatible HD DVD titles, but Microsoft hasn't yet announced future games that will rock 1080p natively."

So if I read this right, I can buy an x-box 360 that will do 1080p over component AND upconvert lower resolutions to 1080p, but I can't buy a DVD player that will do the same. That's #$%@^&%$!

Groundbeef
09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
So if I read this right, I can buy an x-box 360 that will do 1080p over component AND upconvert lower resolutions to 1080p, but I can't buy a DVD player that will do the same. That's #$%@^&%$!

I don't think that it is as straight forward as that. It seems to me that you need a VGA cable for the 1080p, but I cant remember where I read that. Also, currently only about 1% of households have 1080p enabled T.V. so I am not sure what bonus either 360 or PS3 will offer.

Woochifer
09-25-2006, 06:12 PM
I don't think that it is as straight forward as that. It seems to me that you need a VGA cable for the 1080p, but I cant remember where I read that. Also, currently only about 1% of households have 1080p enabled T.V. so I am not sure what bonus either 360 or PS3 will offer.

Uh, remember HDMI? That's the only standard out there right now that will definitely support 1080p, no matter how the copy protection gets standardized in the near future. Analog connection standards are constrained if AACS or ICT are present (as they are with both HD-DVD and Blu-ray), both of which are non-issues with HDMI. It's also debatable whether component vid has enough bandwidth to support 1080p in the first place, copy protection or not. Given that these next gen consoles will likely be around for at least the next five years, the market for 1080p TVs will be very different by the time these consoles get replaced.

Since all of the PS3 consoles will come with HDMI 1.3 out of the box, they're well situated to take advantage of all the new audio/video formats that will start taking hold by the start of next year (i.e., 48-bit color, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.). By this time next year, HDMI 1.3 and 1080p will be very commonplace among the new product offerings.

Woochifer
09-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Japanese industry watchers believe Nintendo's Wii could take top spot in Japan:

"It looks like Nintendo is giving everything they possibly can for the Wii console," said Hiroshi Kamide, director of the research department at KBC Securities Japan, who also spoke at the correspondents' club. "Nintendo hasn't had a successful machine for the last ten years, so for us analysts it's quite difficult to imagine a scenario where Nintendo is actually going to win. But for me right now, especially in Japan at least, Nintendo does seem to have the upper hand."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127224/article.html

This very well could come to fruition. Aside from the new controller, which may or may not enhance gameplay, and aside from the lower console price, an under-reported advantage with the Wii is its lower game development costs (and lower prices for the games themselves). This article is also focusing on the Japanese market, where the Xbox 360 has been a flop.

Several months ago, I read an article indicating how expensive developing games at HD resolution will be, and how some smaller game developers are intrigued by the Wii simply because the development costs are purportedly as low as 1/4 the cost of developing for the Xbox360 or PS3. It'll be very interesting to see how it all plays out once the Wii and PS3 get out into the market.

Groundbeef
09-26-2006, 05:55 AM
Uh, remember HDMI? That's the only standard out there right now that will definitely support 1080p, no matter how the copy protection gets standardized in the near future. Analog connection standards are constrained if AACS or ICT are present (as they are with both
D-DVD and Blu-ray), both of which are non-issues with HDMI. It's also debatable whether component vid has enough bandwidth to support 1080p in the first place, copy protection or not. Given that these next gen consoles will likely be around for at least the next five years, the market for 1080p TVs will be very different by the time these consoles get replaced.

Since all of the PS3 consoles will come with HDMI 1.3 out of the box, they're well situated to take advantage of all the new audio/video formats that will start taking hold by the start of next year (i.e., 48-bit color, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.). By this time next year, HDMI 1.3 and 1080p will be very commonplace among the new product offerings.

My didn't we take our crabby pills today old man. Here is the article that I was refering to:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

This is not the HDMI/HDMI not included arguement. The poster was asking about the HD-DVD drive for the 360. Current projections are that it can play movies at 1080p. However without HDMI the only way it is going to work is with the VGA cables that you can get for the 360,

Apologies accepted any time....

Woochifer
09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
My didn't we take our crabby pills today old man. Here is the article that I was refering to:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

This is not the HDMI/HDMI not included arguement. The poster was asking about the HD-DVD drive for the 360. Current projections are that it can play movies at 1080p. However without HDMI the only way it is going to work is with the VGA cables that you can get for the 360,

Apologies accepted any time....

VGA :lol: Lemme guess, that's cable's included with the Xbox 360? No? Let's see, 1080p and 5.1/7.1 audio would require TWO cables that are not included, and you're getting on Sony's case for not including a HDMI cable. All these workarounds and extra cables needed, when HDMI would have kept it far simpler.

Anyway, sorry that I didn't realize that your response was limited to the Xbox 360's HD-DVD attachment. No hard feelings ... :2:

nightflier
09-26-2006, 05:54 PM
GroundBeef, Wooch,

I'm only going by what Microsoft stated: 1080p & upconversion over component or VGA. Whatever the outcome is, I haven't bought into HDMI, 1080p, or BR/HD-DVD yet. I'm waiting to see what shakes out of the tree. If I can buy an x-box 360 that will do this, then I won't have to plunk down another grand on a seperate player. And just to be safe, I'll buy a plasma TV that does 1080p and has a VGA input when prices get back down to earth on these. I'm just trying to cover all the standards w/o going broke.

Groundbeef
09-27-2006, 06:45 AM
GroundBeef, Wooch,

I'm only going by what Microsoft stated: 1080p & upconversion over component or VGA. Whatever the outcome is, I haven't bought into HDMI, 1080p, or BR/HD-DVD yet. I'm waiting to see what shakes out of the tree. If I can buy an x-box 360 that will do this, then I won't have to plunk down another grand on a seperate player. And just to be safe, I'll buy a plasma TV that does 1080p and has a VGA input when prices get back down to earth on these. I'm just trying to cover all the standards w/o going broke.

You can get a 360 vga connection for about $40 at Best Buy.

Groundbeef
09-27-2006, 07:08 AM
This very well could come to fruition. Aside from the new controller, which may or may not enhance gameplay, and aside from the lower console price, an under-reported advantage with the Wii is its lower game development costs (and lower prices for the games themselves). This article is also focusing on the Japanese market, where the Xbox 360 has been a flop.

Several months ago, I read an article indicating how expensive developing games at HD resolution will be, and how some smaller game developers are intrigued by the Wii simply because the development costs are purportedly as low as 1/4 the cost of developing for the Xbox360 or PS3. It'll be very interesting to see how it all plays out once the Wii and PS3 get out into the market.

The development costs for the 360 are significantly lower than the PS3. The Wii is less than 360/ps3. In fact many companies that had only made games for Sony before are now going to the 360 because many games can then be released for the PC as well. Both the pc gaming market and 360 use windows based programming, not the proprietary stuff from Sony.

Wii should be less, as the machine is designed to do less "stuff". I wish them well.

As for the Japan Market, it has indeed been a sorry start for MS. However, I have been reading some market info that is indicating that the 360 will be stripped down, (no hard drive, wired controllers, etc) and sold for $250(roughly) right before the release of the PS3. These are not rumors, and are ONLY for Japan. The thought is to catch gamers when the PS3 sells out (anticipated) as there are only going to be 100,000 consoles for sale in Japan.

nightflier
09-27-2006, 02:56 PM
there are only going to be 100,000 consoles for sale in Japan.

Are they trying to create an artificial shortage to drive up demand? Everytime I read about Sony i get a little angrier. I don't care much for Microscuz either, but if that means sticking it to Sony, then that's a compromize I can live with, sort of...

Groundbeef
09-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Are they trying to create an artificial shortage to drive up demand? Everytime I read about Sony i get a little angrier. I don't care much for Microscuz either, but if that means sticking it to Sony, then that's a compromize I can live with, sort of...

No, honestly I seriously doubt it is to drive up demand. In Japan, Sony is King, so they could sell out of 1 million units no doubt. Only resellers like on Ebay benefit from shortages. MFGs, usually frown upon stores making their own prices. Here in the US that is illegal for MFGs to dictage price, BUT MFGs don't have to sell more units to stores that rape their customers.

This is due to the difficulty in producing the Blu-Ray laser in bulk for the PS3.