Blue Note CD reissues question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blue Note CD reissues question

ninetynine
09-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Will the blue note reissue cds that were recently rereleased sound different from the ones that were released in the 80's? Is the sound quality actually better?

Woochifer
09-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Compared to the older releases, the recent remasters I've heard generally have a cleaner overall sound and noticeably roll back on the highs. If you're used to the early issue editions and like how they sound, the remastered versions might sound somewhat muffled. I've also read that some of the remasters that Rudy Van Gelder did tinker with the stereo separation as well.

noddin0ff
09-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Are they reissues, or remasters? I'd think the remastered editions would sound better.

Woochifer
09-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Are they reissues, or remasters? I'd think the remastered editions would sound better.

With the Blue Note remasters, it could also come down to preference. I've read reviews criticizing some of the Rudy Van Gelder remasters for changing the stereo separation and/or overly toning down the highs.

Resident Loser
09-26-2006, 05:08 AM
With the Blue Note remasters, it could also come down to preference. I've read reviews criticizing some of the Rudy Van Gelder remasters for changing the stereo separation and/or overly toning down the highs.

...that's an understatement...Being the curious sot that I am, I happened across the below linked interview some time ago after my purchase of the RVG edition of John Coltrane's Blue Train...

It explains quite a bit, but in deference to some members who are of the sound-bite crowd (present company excepted obviously) this quote pretty much says it all:

“I really want it to sound like that [the original vinyl] because that's what Alfred heard.”

The rest of what I found to be an interesting and informative article is here:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=1116

In addition to the 'Trane disc, I also have, in glorious RVG mono, Miles Davis' Birth Of The Cool and Relaxin' With The Miles Davis' Quintet...both recorded at Van Gelder's studio in beautiful downtown Hackensack, NJ...

jimHJJ(...it's the music that matters...)