Xbox 360 Ms Offers Free Repairs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Ms Offers Free Repairs

Groundbeef
09-22-2006, 01:06 PM
In an about face yesterday; MS indicated that it will either repair or replace ANY XBOX 360mfg prior to 1/1/06. Of course, the console must be faulty, and in need of repair. Not all consoles prior to this date is in need of repair, but MS conceeded that the repair rate was higher than the 3% than they are comfortable with.

See link here.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/734/734126p1.html

Lensman
09-23-2006, 05:28 AM
In an about face yesterday; MS indicated that it will either repair or replace ANY XBOX 360mfg prior to 1/1/06. Of course, the console must be faulty, and in need of repair. Not all consoles prior to this date is in need of repair, but MS conceeded that the repair rate was higher than the 3% than they are comfortable with.

See link here.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/734/734126p1.html

This is great news for Xbox owners and long overdue. It's also nice that Microsoft is refunding the repair costs owners paid on these machines. Though there are no hard numbers, the Xbox's manufacturing defects have long been considered in the gaming community to exceed the 3-5% margin. One petition to have Microsoft extend it's warranty to one year to cover anticipated "red lights of death" problems due to manufacturing problems now has over 3,000 signatures (http://www.petitiononline.com/xbox360w/petition.html). Microsoft won't admit to what was causing the problems, but hopefully it's been fixed.

Groundbeef
09-23-2006, 05:59 AM
Yes it is nice that they are stepping up to the plate.

Although it would have been best if the machines were mfg correctly first, it is nice to see that they are fixing any problems. It appears that this action was taken WITHOUT legal action, unlike Apple who stonewalled the battery problem with their earlier IPODs. Without class action I doubt that they were going to acknolewdege the problem much less fix it.

My first 360 failed about 3 months into its short life. I was actually about on day 87 of the 90 day warrenty. I must say that MS was nothing short of professional in the repair and return. I had a DHL box NEXT DAY and a BRAND New 360 by that friday. 5 day turnaround. The current console I have is working like a champ.

jdag
09-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Hopefully they will honor a refund. I just had to pay for a repair last week on my son's 8 month old 360. It was purchased 1st week of Feb 2006, so I am guessing it was manufactured before 1/1/06.

Groundbeef
09-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Hopefully they will honor a refund. I just had to pay for a repair last week on my son's 8 month old 360. It was purchased 1st week of Feb 2006, so I am guessing it was manufactured before 1/1/06.

Did you send it in? Or did you go to a big box retailer for repairs? Have you sent it in yet?

You can find the MFG date on the rear of the console right by the S/N Tag. If yours was MFG BEFORE 1/1/06 you should be covered.

It may be more difficult if you have already sent it in, as you will most likely NOT know what the MFG date is. Also if MS thinks your repair will take longer than 2 bus days, they are swapping out the console. When they did mine, they swapped, but were nice enough to swap Hard Drives, so all my data was retained.

I am not sure how to tell you to proceed. Call the XBOX hotline. You can get the # off the hyperlink in the main article.

Good luck and let us know what happened!