65" hd with crt's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 65" hd with crt's

lomarica
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I want to upgrade from my 60" marantz tv and have settled on a 65 inch size but want some comments on a set with crt's. I do not care how heavy or how deep the tv is, but of course I do want an excellent picture.

any thoughts on the mits ws-65517 and hitachi 65-F710A

also mit used to make a 65inch with 9"crt's the ws-65815 but I do not believe this is made any more. any other 65 inch tv's with 9" crt's out there?

thanks

elapsed
09-22-2006, 03:16 PM
LCoS TV sets offer a FAR superior picture quality that Rear Projection CRT. The difference is truly night and day. I would suggest that you first audition the Sony SXRD and JVC D-ILA sets, before even considering a CRT. LCoS sets range from 50" - 70", and most models support full 1080p resolution.

If these sets are too expensive, next I would consider Rear Projection DLP or LCD. CRT's are almost extinct, most people wouldn't consider a CRT in 2006.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-22-2006, 04:15 PM
LCoS TV sets offer a FAR superior picture quality that Rear Projection CRT. The difference is truly night and day. I would suggest that you first audition the Sony SXRD and JVC D-ILA sets, before even considering a CRT. LCoS sets range from 50" - 70", and most models support full 1080p resolution.

If these sets are too expensive, next I would consider Rear Projection DLP or LCD. CRT's are almost extinct, most people wouldn't consider a CRT in 2006.

I considered one at Joe Kane advice in 2006. In many ways CRT's still outperform digitally based panels. Black levels, and picture dynamics are just two of them. Lycos panels are not even on the same block as CRT's in black levels.

elapsed
09-22-2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1930271,00.asp

"Already, LCoS provides the highest resolutions, the highest non-CRT contrast ratios, and the most artifact-free images of any display technology. For people sensitive to flicker and eye-fatigue LCoS operates at the highest refresh rates (120 Hz), yielding the smoothest most flicker-free images."

"The darker black level generated by the CRT is not an advantage in a studio, because they intentionally use a low (but not completely dark) level of ambient lighting for production work. The difference between the extremely dark black of a CRT and the very dark black of an LCoS monitor is not visually apparent. So the days of the CRT as the operational Reference Standard are over."

"And the winner is… LCoS, the new Reference Standard for overall image and picture quality, dethroning the CRT after more than 75 years at the top. An impressive achievement for a technology that has only recently started shipping in quantity. The new display technologies have now moved out from under the shadow of the CRT to stand on their own accomplishments."

paul_pci
09-22-2006, 06:28 PM
My father purchased the Mits 65" CRT projection tv earlier this year and we're all happy with it. It's big/deep enough to place components such as a center speaker on top, which is nice. The HD picture is excellent. The digital out is coax only. It's on wheels and easy to position around a room. We did have one oddity with it: for a time period we couldn't get OTA HD signals, not sure why, then all of a sudden it's back and no problem. Not sure if that was something to do with the set or not, though.

I would agree that the LCOS is a fantastic picture, but if you're set on the CRT, then you shouldn't be disappointed with the Mits.

edtyct
09-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Elapsed quote comes from Soneira's shootout between various LCoS TVs--a JVC professional model, a JVC consumer model, a pre-production Brillian, and another obscure entry that I forget (Sony elected not to participate). As elapsed's quote says, LCoS tested as the most advanced fixed-pixel technology yet, in the ways mentioned above as well as in others. However, it is important to note that the popular consumer model from JVC was not a high scorer in the shootout. The professional JVC, which costs upward of $30,000, was the true standout, but the differences between this set and others from the mainstream market are vast; the pro LCoS, in certain respects, was technologically in another league altogether, creating its blacks in ways more reminiscent of a CRT than of a dithering digital display. It may well be that an LCoS TV designed, tweaked, and appointed for the professional market could take the place of the vaunted CRT in the studio at this point. However, none of the LCoS sets sold to consumers is worthy of that distinction, or something short of it. At this point, CRTs' relegation to dinosaur status does not suggest that any other display is routinely capable of matching its strong suits of color, greyscale, and black level. All that can be said is that LCoS has the potential to do so. But the professional JVC LCoS is not representative of the rank and file.