Time for upgrades...and advise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time for upgrades...and advise

tirbine
09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Alrighty...Finally time to set up my new home theater system. Here's the background...
1. AV unit is a Denon 3805
2. TV is a 60' Sony
3. Looking to get a new center channel and two front speakers for now with possible build out of surround sound mid next year.
4. Front speakers can NOT be towers. I don't have the space on the wall. I have a spot in my entertainment center that will hold a speaker 25" wide 9" Tall and 26" deep and I can't make that any bigger (it's set by a built in shelf). The other option is to place the speakers on top of the entertainment center (about 6.5-7 feet tall) and angle them down to the couch.
5. Also looking for a sub
6. I've heard that's it's best to keep all of the same type as well so I think I might try to do that unless others think it really doesn't matter. This is also for looks.
7. I'm considering Bose 301, Polk Audio LSi9 or Infinity 20 Beta's for the fronts? Thoughts? I'm not set on anything I just want the best!
8. Looking to spend $350 ish for each book shelf. maybe a bit more for the front
9. Mainly going to be used for DVD's and television.

Thanks for all the help.

paul_pci
09-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Let me begin with an unpopular answer from the point of view of a home theater enthusiast. We are a culture in transition, namely the exponential increase in home theater technology and products has vastly outpaced the architecture which would support it. What I'm getting at in a rather pedantic way is that so-called "entertainment centers" typically cannot support today's home theater configurations simply because their designs did not have a 5.1 system in mind. Therefore, from the point of view of an enthusiast, it is sheer blaspheme to let one's furniture dictate what system you build. If you let your furniture determine your choices you will end up making serious compromies in overall sonic quality. I say, dump the enteratinment center and go witha configuration of supporting furniture that will allow you to build the system you ideally want. Unless, of course, all you want is to hear sound coming out of a bunch of speakers, and in that case, you certainly don't need our advice, just buy whatever's on sale.

Not sure what got into me this morning, do forgive.

tirbine
09-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Ok that didn't help at all. It's called Marriage...She gets the entertainment center she wants and I get the theater system I want.

paul_pci
09-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I figured as much, but be prepared for a less than ideal sound field. I think if you stretch the buget, or purchases, you could fit B&W 600 or 601s in the entertainment center. I also think PSB might make speakers the right size for you. Paradigm Atoms I believe are on the smaller side, othewise, Polk, Energy, or Infinity would be the cheaper, easy to find speakers.

topspeed
09-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Damn, Paul! It's Friday...go beat on your kit for awhile and have a beer or three already!!! :lol:

Tirbine,
There is no "best." Certainly when you are confined to the very small space your entertainment center allows. While monitors are commonly mislabled as "bookshelfs," there are very few indeed that sound good on a bookshelf. You'll need a speaker that is either a bass reflex (sealed) design or front ported. The reason is that a rear port can emit some rather nasty sounds and resonances when placed in a confined area. The only two rear ported speakers that I know of that don't fall into this category are Polk speakers with the PowerPort and Von Schweikert's VR1 Pressure Release Valve. Of the ones you've listed, I'd think the Polk's would be your best bet for your install, although you should consider comparing them to NHT's Absolute Zero or Model Two (both are sealed designs IIRC) and are bit tighter in the bass than the Polks.

If, OTOH, you can find any way to your speakers on a stand or at least in far less confined space, you should consider auditioning:

Epos ELS3
Paradigm Atom or Titan
Athena B2.2
B&W DM303

Hope this helps.

darth2222
09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Im no expert or audiophile by any means but try the Paradigm Studio 20 V.3. They are front ported and fit your price range. For you center if you have the shelfspace go with the CC470 at least thats what i have read on this site anyway. As far as subs go from what i have read on previous threads SVS seems to be the way to go for HT exspecially.

Dusty Chalk
09-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Gallos? Dues or those little ball ones (Unos?). I'm not sure you want to enclose them, so I'd put them on top and angle them down.

You may also want to look at Focal Cub XLs, but I don't know how well those would get along with your wife. (I.E. not sure they would look good in an entertainment center.)

Are you sure you have those dimensions right? 9" tall?

bigfanga
09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Take a look at the Quad L-ite system.