How close? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How close?

Stereomaniac
09-22-2006, 05:30 AM
I have a new place and a new living room to set up...
I have a pair of PhaseTech 745 towers and was wondering how close I can place to my CRT TV, DVD, Amp, etc. without creating picture problems, sound distortions, etc. The speakers are not shielded and the weigh about 55 pounds a piece so the must have some pretty good magnets in them. How close can I go...?

basite
09-22-2006, 07:26 AM
hmm, our b&w 604's must be away 0.5meter to 1 meter from the tv and then they don't cause any problems, i don't think that putting your speakers too close to your amp will have any effect, but i'm not sure about that.

edtyct
09-22-2006, 07:31 AM
It will depend. Direct-view CRTs might show bleeding colors more readily than an RPTV. The guns in RPTVs are sometimes protected and recessed enough to allow relatively close placement. Don't get all bent out of shape (no pun intended) if you inadvertently get too close. Most relatively current CRTs can reverse the problem fairly quickly. Those that don't do so fast enough can be de-gaussed. If the room dimension is large, you might try setting up the speakers in the roughly normal equilateral configuration and see what happens.

Stereomaniac
09-22-2006, 09:34 AM
I am hoping about 18 inches should be enough. I am a little tight on space.