Value Speaker Arrangement: Bose or BIC? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Value Speaker Arrangement: Bose or BIC?

thumpn650
02-05-2004, 12:46 PM
I am not an audio expert. I am seeking advice concerning a value speaker system. I desire to spend approximately $600 for a set of speakers that will provide quality sound for both music and home theater. The arrangement will most likely be used by my family primarily for home theater. Although, I would like them for music. My wife desires a speaker system that is small and does not dominate the room, and no/minimal wire runs. Since I do not own the home I am currently living in, I cannot install wall speakers. From what I understand, wireless is expensive.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

My limited research has led me to the two possible arrangements, or some combination of the two:<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>1) Bose
VCS-10 center channel
Acoustimass 5 Series III – front channels<o:p></o:p>
161 - surround sound

2) BIC<o:p></o:p>
DV62CLRs - center channel
V1020 subwoofer
DV62si bookshelf – front channels<o:p></o:p>
DV52si – surround sound

I am interested in hearing people’s thoughts and experiences.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks

This Guy
02-05-2004, 01:20 PM
go with the BIC. Instead of using the DV62si as the front channels, use three DV62CLR as the left center and right. They'll be better timbre matched and will give you a better sound. Stay away from Bose and never look at there speakers ever again. BIC makes good stuff for the money, you'll be happy.

-Joey

poneal
02-05-2004, 01:24 PM
You lucky you haven't been flamed by all the booze bashers in here. For the money, go with the BIC. ThisGuy gave you some sound advice. Cheers.

stuartlittle
02-05-2004, 04:55 PM
There were some people here talking about Orb Audio the other day and it sounded like an alternative to Bose...certainly seemed worth checking out b/c I think they were in that price range and they claim to be a good value because of the fact that they sell direct. I've never heard them, and probably never would have if I didn't see that thread, but after talking to them I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of their small systems and then upgrade it over time as my budget allows. I'm still in the 2 channel world and ready to move on up to surround. The concept of being able to upgrade the speakers when I get more money is very appealing to me instead of having to buy new ones.

markw
02-05-2004, 05:21 PM
I've haven't heard this particular system, but I do have some of their other products and think quite highly of them, particularly in light of the $$/performance ratio.

For what you're looking for, I'd say it rates consideration. Poke around this site and perhaps explore the link to the main Athena site for more info.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHMICRA6&product_name=MICRA%206%20Home%20Theater%20System

headknocker
02-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Bose is WAY overpriced and should be avoided at all costs. I think Crutchfield had a sale on Infinity's Entra HT speaker package for around $600 in one of their last flyers but it may have expired. Do your homework and look around because there are quite a few decent HT speaker packages around today in your price range which will probably make you happy. Also, check out Athena's small bookshelves, center channel and powered sub at Best Buy.

topspeed
02-06-2004, 08:38 AM
no highs, no lows...must be Bose!

Yeah, I'm with the others here in that Amar is a terrific businessman but a questionable audio guy. Cambridge Soundworks makes terrific bang-for-the-buck products and they actually sound pretty decent. Founded by the late, great Henry Kloss (of AR, KLH, and Advent fame) their products are solid and customer service is terrific. If you don't like it, send it back! They even cover shipping expense.
This might work:

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=ht_package&item=k1pkmv7zz

There are also good systems from Gallo, Infinity, and Axiom that might work.

If you have a little patience, I'd really recommend you spend your $500 on a decent set of standmount speakers for your mains (that should please your wife's aesthetic requirements) and slowly build from there. There is no written rule that you have to buy it all at once and you'll likely be much happier in the long run especially as you favor music reproduction. Bare in mind that a lot of the folks on the board have literally thousands of dollars invested in their hobby. Most didn't do it all at once but piece by piece. It's more interesting that way and no compromises had to be made. Just a thought.

Good luck

Bryan
02-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Of the two I'd go with BIC. Overall, though, I would lean more towards the HSU (http://www.hsuresearch.com) Ventriloquist/VTF-2 system that goes for $660 delivered.

thumpn650
02-09-2004, 07:37 PM
I greatly appreciate all of the feedback. I have been researching the brands mentioned. I like the HSU VTF-2 system very much, but may not be able to swing the cost (would be my first choice). The Cambridge and Athena systems look good as well. Since I have had two unexpected costs come up this past week (emergency room visits for my son, he is all boy), I am still condsidering the BIC's because of the $$/performance.

BTW, what does "HT" speaker mean? Being a new, I am unfamiliar with this acronym.

Again, thanks for all of your input. I will hopefully order within the next few weeks (barring any further emergency room visits).

Worf101
02-10-2004, 08:25 AM
I own some BIC speakers for use with my upstairs secondary system and I've had to get my ex-girlfriends Bose 5.1 fixed several times. There's no comparison, if you don't want a proprietary system unusable or upgradable with anything else, avoid the Bose like the plague. Why spend all that money for a set of speakers you can't use with any other system? BIC is cheap, versatile equipment that I've used for years and ain't blown up yet.

Da Worfster :o

topspeed
02-10-2004, 09:18 AM
HT=Home Theater

Bryan
02-10-2004, 09:28 AM
HT means Home Theater. Just remember to take your time getting the HT speakers. Getting a quality subwoofer is very important, often times equaling or exceeding the cost of the speakers. If an item is over your budget and you would like it, just wait a week or two. Buying quality now will save you a great deal of money in the future.

chimera128
02-10-2004, 10:22 AM
If i was buying something in the $600 price range I would go with Definitive Technology's Procinema 60 system or an Energy Speaker system.

A review of the Procinema 60 System can be found at this address:

http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/PC60_DVD4C.pdf

You can usually pick up Definitive Technology speakers for around %20 off, so you should have no problems getting it for $600. It has a 23hz - 30000hz frequency range and the sub doesn't take up more room than the BOSE sub, though it will sound like it does.

Hope this helps

Willow
02-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I would have to agree with 1-don't go with Bose and 2- check out Athena I think its the MK5...but they do have a bookshelf system thats 600$cad. not bad or the energy take 5....check out your local dealers they sometimes slash the prices of their demos...since its the new year and want the newer products on display

wtfdutch
02-13-2004, 11:49 AM
I run a pair of Bose 601s, set on Mapleshade Bedrock stands, with Orbeck Stratti speaker Cables (outstanding cables for more than reasonable prices) and a set of Mark Green Room Tunes. (under $1,000.00 for the whole shebang)They CONSISTANTLY amaze even audio enthusiasts. Are they the best thing going? Nope..but they are a lot of sound for the money, and really shine for me. They have blown Focal JM Labs Compacts out of the water, and have been preferred over a set of Von Schweikert VR-1s (sp?) in a comparison on my system.

I run the Bose 601s for one simple reason. They sounded better on my system than Paradigms, BNWs, Polks, Focals, Wharfdales, the Von Schweikerts, and the other Bose offerings, for that matter. Thats ON MY SYSTEM. I have another system that I run Wharfdales on, because they sound the best for that system. Hooked to a friends system, they do not shine, they are a tad flat, so...( by the way, we leave them hooked for a week or two of use, you'd be amazed what a difference a few days of use can make...) The Von Schweikerts are absolutely phenominal on a friend of mines system, really impressive, not so great on mine. Good, but not great.

The point is, you have a budget to work with, get something that compliments your set-up, not someone elses, or you will never be happy. Don't mistake $ for quality..buy what works for you, and don't take "These are better" as gospel from anybody. Better for them, maybe not for you. I have spent thousands of dollars on good equipment that just didn't work for me, because I listened to what was wonderful for other peoples setups..and lost money on most of it when I got rid of it. I still have a closet ful of amps, preamps, speakers, tuners, wires by the boxful, etc. that just didn't make the cut for me at the time.

Find a dealer who will let you try them for a week, and see what you think. At the very least they should be willing to refund, or take them back and apply the full purchase price to a different speaker. Bose worked great for me, but not for everybody.

Wallis
02-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Thumpn650: It sounds like you and I are almost exactly at the same point in the process. I flopped around for much of this week and ultimately decided to go with BIC Speakers. I'm probably going to use the very same configuration that you are considering. However, I'll be getting a different subwoofer.

I'm using Ed Frias to modify the BIC speakers. Look around the forum here, and you'll see lots of fans of Frias. You can reach him at (928) 778-2616 or efespeakers@commspeed.net. The general view seems to be that his inexpensive modifications improve the BIC's performance tremendously.

You can either get super-modified speakers directly from him, and will pay a wee bit more than if you search for cheaper retailers. However, because the speakers are so cheap, his charges are still very reasonable. If you prefer, you can buy your speakers elsewhere, ship them to him, and he will do a basic modification. That will probably save you some money, but will not get you the best BIC product.

thepogue
02-13-2004, 02:31 PM
cheap and great bang for the $$ I own this lil set up and for HT it works very well...will smoke the bose for much much less good luck!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3077606608&category=32861

Teddyaudio
02-14-2004, 08:40 PM
This is a link to a set of speakers that might be worth checking into. Do some research on them. I think they just might work for you. P.S. It includes a sub. http://www.ac4l.com/Amazing/customkititems.asp?CartId=5998692SV-EVEREST-LTN636&ic=FOS%2D10
cheap and great bang for the $$ I own this lil set up and for HT it works very well...will smoke the bose for much much less good luck!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3077606608&category=32861

goatspeed
02-17-2004, 12:08 PM
I would advise not buying Bose if you are interested in a "value" arrangement. They truely are highly overpriced. Also, I wasn't satisfied with the sound they produced until I got a newer, better receiver. I'm now satisfied, but not excited. For what they cost, one should really be happy about their speaker system.

thumpn650
03-26-2004, 04:35 PM
I finally purchased my speakers: BIC DV62CLR-S(s) and a JBL EN250 12” subwoofer. I liked many of the recommendations provided, and almost made the HSU purchase. However, I had to stay with an extreme value system. My daughter required braces immediately, a year earlier than planned (man, am I in the wrong occupation!). So, the HSU speakers and subwoofer were outside the range.

I received e-mail concerning my selection. I like the BIC’s, again, I am a newbie. I am interested in hearing the difference as they break in. The best price I could locate on the DV62CLR-S was at www.acousticsounddesign.com (http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/) . The service was very good and the shipping fast.

Again, I appreciate the help everyone provided. Thank you.