Made in USA? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Made in USA?

Rock789
09-21-2006, 04:16 PM
just curious, what audio companies have manufacturing in the United States?

are there any companies with all parts made in the states (not just assembled)?

Mr Peabody
09-21-2006, 07:02 PM
I was about to give you a list like Krell, Conrad Johnson, McCormack etc., then you said including parts, that's a big disqualifier, and I can't be sure if anyone can go on the list. If there is, probably only preamps and amps.

Dusty Chalk
09-21-2006, 07:42 PM
I know Manley is proud of being made in the USA (assembled at least -- I don't know about parts).

Jolida and McCormack are actually local-ish to me.

bubslewis
09-21-2006, 07:49 PM

On the B&K website, in the "About Us" section it reads - "Everything we make is designed, engineered, and manufactured at our Buffalo NY facility". I'm not sure if one can infer that every part of their equipment is made there. I doubt if there are very many equipment manufacturers who would publically provide the information on the source origin of every single part.

Resident Loser
09-22-2006, 05:25 AM

...there may not be any...and it p!$$e$ me off...particularly when US mfrs. like Fisher, Marantz, McIntosh, University Sound, JBL, Eico (and the list goes on) were practically responsible for the existence of Hi-Fi; a great many of them designed and manufactured their products right here in NYC.

Maybe Mac and Klipsch? I think it's important to point out however that many ICs and other components simply aren't made stateside, even if they have a US-based corporate logo on 'em.

jimHJJ(...nowadays all we seem to be able to make are bad burgers, etc. at Col. MacWendybelle's and international enemies...)

shokhead
09-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Non-USA parts means double profits. What do ya think they are going to do?

kexodusc
09-22-2006, 05:49 AM
jimHJJ(...nowadays all we seem to be able to make are bad burgers, etc. at Col. MacWendybelle's and international enemies...)

And nasty bad ass weapons! Bah,we're pretty good at putting things together, genetically engineering the world's best athletes, and drawing things out on paper though. And there's 11 million TV news reporters, the world wouldn't be the same without their contributions.

Feanor
09-22-2006, 06:00 AM

For a company that uses all US-made parts :eek6: , that is, assuming its products contain electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, etc..

Nope, doesn't happen anymore -- hasn't for years; won't happen again in our lifetimes (or at least mine). :nonod:

markw
09-22-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure these are about as American made as you can get.

http://www.magnepan.com/

JoeE SP9
09-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Audio Research Corporation electronics and Sound Lab ESL's are made in America.:cool:

BRANDONH
09-22-2006, 11:09 AM

http://www.ati-amp.com/

basite
09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
i think grado does too, but i'm not sure,
anyways,
I'm a proud owner of a pair of 100% usa made Advent speakers :D

nightflier
09-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Well, there are two other options:

- build it yourself from parts that you can verify only come from the US.
- Move to a country that does manufacture everything. I hear real-estate in Beijing is booming.

audio_dude
09-23-2006, 09:42 AM
BRANDONH, the parts from those are still made in china, the amps are manufactured in us tho...

BRANDONH
09-26-2006, 09:55 AM
BRANDONH, the parts from those are still made in china, the amps are manufactured in us tho...

Yeah all I knew is that were made in the USA but wasnt real sure on the parts.
Oh well at least its partly USA so someone has a job here.
Not too shabby amp though and its well built.
I wonder if Outlaw is?

Haoleb
09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Odyssey

Dusty Chalk
09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I believed BAT is an all-merkin company, but didn't verify.

bubslewis
09-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure these are about as American made as you can get.

http://www.magnepan.com/

Even the marvelous Maggies from at least the 1.6's down have capacitors in their crossover network that are made in France.

nightflier
09-26-2006, 06:15 PM
You could also buy a kit. I've seen some pretty sweet tube kits out there. If anything in the kit is not made in the usa, then you could probably substitute it for a part that is. It certainly would make for a very interesting experiment.

Or an eaven easier option is to buy a reasonably simple component and replace those parts that are not made in the usa.