ProAc speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ProAc speakers

giofer69
09-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get feedback on ProAc speakers. I auditioned them (Studio series) yesterday and they sounded excellent. Any general feedback on ProAc's dependabiltiy, reputation, etc. would be helpful. It's not a speaker line that is talked about frequently.

Thanks.

dean_martin
09-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I've noticed in reading reviews of monitors, several reviewers own ProAc monitors and use them as their reference. The Response One SC comes to mind. I haven't heard them but their older Response and Tablette monitors were well-regarded.

jrhymeammo
09-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Though I havent had an oppotunity to audition them, I can't stop thinking about getting one of Response series. I would at least want D38, but I dont have that kind of cash yet(maybe Studio 140...). I dont quite trust their frequency respoonse just on what I see. If D15 can reasonably play around 30hz then...... but I can't see that happening.

drseid
09-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get feedback on ProAc speakers. I auditioned them (Studio series) yesterday and they sounded excellent. Any general feedback on ProAc's dependabiltiy, reputation, etc. would be helpful. It's not a speaker line that is talked about frequently.

Thanks.

I have only heard a couple of their floorstanders at my local dealer... Quite frankly I was not impressed at all. I found them overly dark sounding, missing a great deal of bass extension and plenty of musical detail was missing -- pretty much a lifeless performance. The CD I primarily used for the extended audition was the "O" Cirque du Soleil Soundrack (a show I have seen live in Vegas as well) and the model 140 floorstanders just did not get it done -- nothing like the live performance, nor the detail on my reference speakers.

All of that said, I have not heard the monitors, but many have said they are much better... As such, when eventually I hear some of those I may have a completely different opinion of the brand. Even in the floorstanders' case, what is dark and lifeless to me may be a completely different and better speaker to many others...

---Dave

Bernd
09-22-2006, 06:56 AM
I am with drseid's findings. The studio series is not that impressive.Lot's for sale on the second hand market-that tells it's own story me thinks.
Proacs standmounts however are very very good, especially the mentioned Response 1 SC. The floorstanders in the lower ranges seem to lack life to me. However if you go for the D38 or D80 or D100 you're back in business. They are mighty fine speakers. I have heard them and auditioned them when I changed my speakers.
A decent amp and a pair of Response 1SC on good stands will make sweet music. In direct competition you have the ART Stiletto Monitor that beats the Proac Response 1SC hands down...but that's another thread.
Good Luck and listen, listen, listen.

Peace

Bernd:21:

BillyB
09-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I owned a pair of Proac 2-way stand speakers(sorry don't remember model off-hand) for 13 years and they were incredible speakers.They put out a nice warm bass and plenty of it for a 6" woofer in a small cabinet.The silk-dome tweeters were very crisp while never sounding bright.Proac speakers are very well made.They use state of the art drivers and go by the less is more theory on drivers which I myself like.I used to play these speakers very loud in a large room and they never complained about being pushed so hard.I sold them to my cousin and it was one of the biggest audio mistakes I've ever made.My system hasn't been the same since.I can't vouch for their larger floorstanders but I can't imagine them not being excellant speakers as well but they do get very pricey.As with most high quality speakers good electronics is an absolute must with these speakers and they will reward you for it.The one thing I loved about them is most of my CD collection(a lot of pop and rock) sounded tolerable on them even at high volume and my other experiences with high-end speakers is they can be revealing to a fault.My listening room has terrible acoustics and amazingly the Proacs tolerated the bad conditions like a champ, much less sensitive to room placement than my existing Quad 22L's.The imaging was so good that you would swear the vocalist was sitting right in the center of the speakers.As you can tell I love this speaker brand and will definitely own another pair down the road when I can justify the expense.Proacs would get a lot more press but they're not an easy company to deal with so many dealers don't bother with them.Those that are familar with them know they can hold their own with some of the truly elite speakers out there.Good luck with your decision.

jtgofish
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
I have a pair of Proac Tablettes.Matched with a decent 15" subwoofer these are amazingly good little speakers,with a scale,dynamics and lack of strain that belies their size.All the Proacs I have heard have a very coherent,non fatigueing sound,although I have to agree that I prefer the stand mounts to the floorstanders.

jrhymeammo
09-25-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm bummed out that Response D25 cost well over $5,000...:(.
Also, not many dealers in US.

BillyB
09-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I owned a pair of Proac 2-way stand speakers(sorry don't remember model off-hand) for 13 years and they were incredible speakers.They put out a nice warm bass and plenty of it for a 6" woofer in a small cabinet.The silk-dome tweeters were very crisp while never sounding bright.Proac speakers are very well made.They use state of the art drivers and go by the less is more theory on drivers which I myself like.I used to play these speakers very loud in a large room and they never complained about being pushed so hard.I sold them to my cousin and it was one of the biggest audio mistakes I've ever made.My system hasn't been the same since.I can't vouch for their larger floorstanders but I can't imagine them not being excellant speakers as well but they do get very pricey.As with most high quality speakers good electronics is an absolute must with these speakers and they will reward you for it.The one thing I loved about them is most of my CD collection(a lot of pop and rock) sounded tolerable on them even at high volume and my other experiences with high-end speakers is they can be revealing to a fault.My listening room has terrible acoustics and amazingly the Proacs tolerated the bad conditions like a champ, much less sensitive to room placement than my existing Quad 22L's.The imaging was so good that you would swear the vocalist was sitting right in the center of the speakers.As you can tell I love this speaker brand and will definitely own another pair down the road when I can justify the expense.Proacs would get a lot more press but they're not an easy company to deal with so many dealers don't bother with them.Those that are familar with them know they can hold their own with some of the truly elite speakers out there.Good luck with your decision.

Just remembered my Proacs were Studio MKII's and they were used as monitors quite often due to their incredibly accurate presentation.

giofer69
09-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm considering changing my speakers which are Mirage presently. I'm getting tired of their OMNIpolar setup, I thought it was an awesome approach by Mirage but after a few years I find the sound to be dull. Unfortunately, audio venders are becoming extinct. There used to be 6-7 audio stores here but thanks to those mass market vendors, I have a choice between 2 vendors. The choice of speakers lines are: PSB, ProAc, Audica, Revel, Energy, B&W, and Mirage. I don't really want to travel 2-4 hours to audition speakers.