which Jaws edition to purchase? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : which Jaws edition to purchase?

Tarheel_
09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
the original of course...
one of my faves...but so many mixes?...can someone recommend the best to lay my cash on?

oh, audio and video are even on my priority scale so please keep that in mind. I'd give up a little video to add some deep bass.

thanks,

dean_martin
09-20-2006, 05:26 PM
the original of course...
one of my faves...but so many mixes?...can someone recommend the best to lay my cash on?

oh, audio and video are even on my priority scale so please keep that in mind. I'd give up a little video to add some deep bass.

thanks,

Jaws 30th Anniversary Edition from Universal 2-disc set w/DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. Widescreen, of course. Comes with "limited edition" 60-page commemorative photo journal. Nice package and excellent audio and video. It's less than $20 but I can't remember how much less.

From what I've read though, the 30th is no different from the 25th in audio/video quality. It just contains one more extra. It must be the "never-before-available" interview with Spielberg. (I'm looking at the back of my copy as I type.)

paul_pci
09-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Jaws 30th Anniversary Edition from Universal 2-disc set w/DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. Widescreen, of course. Comes with "limited edition" 60-page commemorative photo journal. Nice package and excellent audio and video. It's less than $20 but I can't remember how much less.

From what I've read though, the 30th is no different from the 25th in audio/video quality. It just contains one more extra. It must be the "never-before-available" interview with Spielberg. (I'm looking at the back of my copy as I type.)

I concur. Great DVD.

Defshep
09-21-2006, 01:24 AM
I have the 25th Anniversary Edition with DTS audio. There is also a version with Dolby 5.1 audio. It includes a shorter documentary (approximately 1 hr), and no commemorative booklet. I just couldn't justify the double dip, since the audio and video presentation is exactly the same. Sure, the DTS/Dolby choice is nice to have, but I'm a DTS freak anyway. Paid under ten bucks for it. Blockbuster sells it for around $8!

paul_pci
09-21-2006, 08:59 AM
I waited and waited and waited … and finally got the 30th edition at Circuit City for $10! I was very pleased with my patience.

Defshep
09-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I waited and waited and waited … and finally got the 30th edition at Circuit City for $10! I was very pleased with my patience.
And you are to be commended! If only I had that kind of self control...

superpanavision70mm
09-21-2006, 10:32 PM
GET JAWS 3-D ...it's the bomb! Lol.

J/K obviously...although it wasn't nearly as bad as JAWS: THE REVENGE with Michael Caine (say it Moy-Kul Coy-An"

The 30th Anniversay Ed. of JAWS does have the better picture over all previous editions by some margin, but I have not compared the newer DTS to the older DTS edition, so it's hard to say, but the newer transfer is worth getting.

paul_pci
09-22-2006, 09:59 AM
GET JAWS 3-D ...it's the bomb! Lol.

J/K obviously...although it wasn't nearly as bad as JAWS: THE REVENGE with Michael Caine (say it Moy-Kul Coy-An"

The 30th Anniversay Ed. of JAWS does have the better picture over all previous editions by some margin, but I have not compared the newer DTS to the older DTS edition, so it's hard to say, but the newer transfer is worth getting.

I'll have you know that I saw Jaws 3-D in the theater. Man when that shark exploded, that was the bomb!!