Subwoofer Hook-Up Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Hook-Up Question

willx45x
09-20-2006, 04:13 PM
The thread below got me thinking - I have an Infinity PS-8 sub connected to a Pioneer 816 receiver. I've got an Audio Research subwoofer cable running from the subwoofer output on the receiver into the LFE input on the sub. Should I be using a y-cable to hook into the "L" and "R" inputs on the sub rather than the LFE input? This is my first sub.

Thanks!

paul_pci
09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I consider the y-adapter optional and I doublt you'd notice a difference, let alone an improvement from the sub.

Mr Peabody
09-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I disagree, any sub I've ever used has always doubled, or at least significantly increased, it's output when both inputs of the sub receive a signal. This is easy enough to prove or disprove. Give both sub inputs a signal and put on some music with a thump, unplug one side and see what happens.

I'm not sure what you mean by having a Y at the LFE. My processor just has a single output for LFE and I run a cable from there to my sub where it's connected to a Y adaptor. The side of the Y with 2 ends fills both inputs of the sub which is the important part, both inputs of the sub need a signal to properly drive the internal amp.

Dusty Chalk
09-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Do you mean, LFE "output", I.E. from your receiver? No, you'll be fine using that. Leave it.

You are of course welcome to try other things, but that's my recommendation.

paul_pci
09-20-2006, 09:33 PM
As a point of clarification, some subs, like my Velodyne, have an input that reads LFE and another one that would be something like "left" where the LFE would be "right."

markw
09-21-2006, 03:38 AM
As a point of clarification, some subs, like my Velodyne, have an input that reads LFE and another one that would be something like "left" where the LFE would be "right."The LFE input (should) bypass the sub's internal summer and crossover and apply the "pure" input directly to the sub's internal amplifier.

kelsci
09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Follow what MarkW states in his post. However, your receiver has a adjustable crossover. Play around with that adjustable crossover to determine the point that sounds best to you.

paul_pci
09-21-2006, 08:54 AM
The LFE input (should) bypass the sub's internal summer and crossover and apply the "pure" input directly to the sub's internal amplifier.

Let me ask you this: my sub has a left/right input (one is marked LFE) and my receiver has a left/right pre-out for the sub, of which I've only been using one preout (left, I think) as I only own one subwoofer cable. So, you would recommend that I either use my y-adapter, or go out and get anoter subwoofer cable and I'll hear a notable improvement? For music or movies, or both?

JoeE SP9
09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Let me ask you this: my sub has a left/right input (one is marked LFE) and my receiver has a left/right pre-out for the sub, of which I've only been using one preout (left, I think) as I only own one subwoofer cable. So, you would recommend that I either use my y-adapter, or go out and get anoter subwoofer cable and I'll hear a notable improvement? For music or movies, or both?

If your receiver has a left and right output you should use both. The LFE output most people have is a mono signal. Having separate left and right means a stereo output. You want to have both channels. A subwoofer cable is usually that only because the box and label say so.:cool:

markw
09-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Particularly where music is concerned. Bass can easily be on both channels.

When your receiver has outputs marked "LFE" or "Subwoofer", both of which are mono, you need only use one cable.

Just get another interconnect long enough to handle the job. There's no technical advantage to using what they sell as a "subwoofer" cable. Any decent interconnect will do the job just fine.

paul_pci
09-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Particularly where music is concerned. Bass can easily be on both channels.

When your receiver has outputs marked "LFE" or "Subwoofer", both of which are mono, you need only use one cable.

Just get another interconnect long enough to handle the job. There's no technical advantage to using what they sell as a "subwoofer" cable. Any decent interconnect will do the job just fine.

I know there's no inherent advantage to buying a subwoofer cable, but that's what I'll probably end up doing as I just need a single 12-'15' cable.

Mr Peabody
09-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Which Velodyne do you have and how old is it? I have a SPL 1200, one of the older ones without the EQ and it is not set up like that. I have two inputs, which both receive a signal, and the bypass is a switch. It would be nice if the newer subs did compensate some how to where one could only use a single connector cable.

Like I said though, this is an easy one to check out.

paul_pci
09-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Which Velodyne do you have and how old is it? I have a SPL 1200, one of the older ones without the EQ and it is not set up like that. I have two inputs, which both receive a signal, and the bypass is a switch. It would be nice if the newer subs did compensate some how to where one could only use a single connector cable.

Like I said though, this is an easy one to check out.

It's the SPL 800 Series 2 [2003]. It has two line level inputs (one marked "lfe") and two outputs, as a matter of fact, meaning that if I had a 2-channel preamp, I could route it to the sub and then out to the amp, but I don't. Mine has no EQ or remote, but apparently the new models do.

davenl
09-22-2006, 03:02 AM
I own an SVS PB-NSB sub. In their instructions, connect the sub cable to either the left or right imputs, it makes no difference! A simple rca 75 ohm cable is all thats necessary. I've done this with other subs and it works great. Y connector would be used if you were to hook up a pair of subs.

Regards

Dave

markw
09-23-2006, 08:30 PM
I own an SVS PB-NSB sub. In their instructions, connect the sub cable to either the left or right imputs, it makes no difference! A simple rca 75 ohm cable is all thats necessary. I've done this with other subs and it works great. Y connector would be used if you were to hook up a pair of subs.

Regards

DaveWhat you say is true if you only have one output from the preamp or receiver, such as a "LFE" or "Subwoofer".

When one is working from a stereo source that has neither of these, it's necessary to run both channels to the subwoofer's inputs. That's why they provide two inputs, not just one.

Remember, you can always split an output into two inputs but you shouldn't join two outputs into one input.