Done! New speakers on the way! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Done! New speakers on the way!

dean_martin
09-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Being stuck in the middle of the woods where sunshine is piped in, I had to order my speakers. No, I've never heard them, but hey, sometimes you gotta take a chance and I did take a chance. When I put my long-term plans together for a tube based system, I decided on the Jolida 202a and a pair of Soliloquy 5.0 speakers. I went with the tube amp first because I liked my speakers with the right source material. Then, the 5.0 was replaced by the 5.0i which seemed to be designed with hometheater in mind. It wouldn't do, so I contacted the company about getting the older model 5.0s. There were some available but I couldn't pull the trigger (because I'm a cheap bastard). By the time I got ready, Soliloquy had gone out of business. (Anyone hear me shakin' the dice yet?) Well, I spotted a couple pairs of 5.0s here and there, but it seemed too risky. I decided to start over and come up with another speaker. The only speaker that I felt confident about was the Von Schweikert VR-1.

Then, a well-respected (at least on audiogon) dealer in GA advertised that he had bought out Soliloquy's stock and had one pair of new rosewood 5.0s for sale. I thought about it for 12 days (yes, I counted) and finally called today. He still had them when I called, but he doesn't have'em now. They're on their way to me! It just so happens that my current speakers - Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones - were designed by the same guy that designed the 5.0s - Phil Jones. I'm hoping to hear some similarities because I like my speakers. I know the high frequencies could be smoother and the bass a little tighter, but they're $300 speakers. I'll be happy if the Soliloquys provide these improvements and add a little more depth to the soundstage. They were highly competitive in the $1000 range when new.

GMichael
09-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Sounds good. (Pun very much intended) I have a friend with the Jolita hybrid driving a couple of Ushers. It's a nice set-up.

I hope you enjoy your new toys for many years.

Dusty Chalk
09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
I've heard Jolida driving Soliloquy's -- nice choice.

topspeed
09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Congrats, Dino! I can totally understand following a particular designer...I'm that way with most of Paul McGowan's stuff (PS Audio) and just about everything Nelson Pass touches. Let us know how it sounds and post some pics!

dean_martin
09-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll definitely post pics when they come in.

Geoffcin
09-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Being stuck in the middle of the woods where sunshine is piped in, I had to order my speakers. No, I've never heard them, but hey, sometimes you gotta take a chance and I did take a chance. When I put my long-term plans together for a tube based system, I decided on the Jolida 202a and a pair of Soliloquy 5.0 speakers. I went with the tube amp first because I liked my speakers with the right source material. Then, the 5.0 was replaced by the 5.0i which seemed to be designed with hometheater in mind. It wouldn't do, so I contacted the company about getting the older model 5.0s. There were some available but I couldn't pull the trigger (because I'm a cheap bastard). By the time I got ready, Soliloquy had gone out of business. (Anyone hear me shakin' the dice yet?) Well, I spotted a couple pairs of 5.0s here and there, but it seemed too risky. I decided to start over and come up with another speaker. The only speaker that I felt confident about was the Von Schweikert VR-1.

Then, a well-respected (at least on audiogon) dealer in GA advertised that he had bought out Soliloquy's stock and had one pair of new rosewood 5.0s for sale. I thought about it for 12 days (yes, I counted) and finally called today. He still had them when I called, but he doesn't have'em now. They're on their way to me! It just so happens that my current speakers - Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones - were designed by the same guy that designed the 5.0s - Phil Jones. I'm hoping to hear some similarities because I like my speakers. I know the high frequencies could be smoother and the bass a little tighter, but they're $300 speakers. I'll be happy if the Soliloquys provide these improvements and add a little more depth to the soundstage. They were highly competitive in the $1000 range when new.

Sounds like you've got them for a great price. I happen to really like monitors like your new 5.0's, especially when driven by the right amplification. Good luck!

Bernd
09-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Nicely done Deano. Congrats on the new member(s).
Proper research and no impulse buying will surely pay off in the musical satisfaction stakes.
Enjoy.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Worf101
09-21-2006, 04:12 AM
I'm about sick of this... Everybody, (Kam, Florian, Wooch and now you) is gettin' new or at least "new to you" gear around here and I can't seem to scrape up enough dosh to get a new pair of earplugs :cryin: I'm flat out sick of this (fill in da blank). I'm officially "whining" about having to spend money on my empty headed 13 year old instead of a more worthy cause.....

ME!!!!

Grumble, grumble... moan and wail...

Da Worfster...

PS.. I hope you and your Von Zepplin's will be very happy together... :D

Grandpaw
09-21-2006, 05:08 AM
I'm about sick of this... Everybody, (Kam, Florian, Wooch and now you) is gettin' new or at least "new to you" gear around here and I can't seem to scrape up enough dosh to get a new pair of earplugs :cryin: I'm flat out sick of this (fill in da blank). I'm officially "whining" about having to spend money on my empty headed 13 year old instead of a more worthy cause.....

ME!!!!

Da Worfster...

Worf, I hate to be the one to give you the bad news but if you kid is 13 years old, the spending has only just begun. The most I can see in your future for a long time are a few occasional CD purchases. My prayers are with you. LOL Jeff

GMichael
09-21-2006, 05:23 AM

ME!!!!

Da Worfster...

Worf,

If it helps at all, my whole system has been packed up for months. Only the whimpy bedroom system remains running.

bobsticks
09-21-2006, 06:07 AM
Hey deano,
I call it "paying attention to details" when I'm being a cheap bastard. Clearly, though, you've run into a good deal, so congrats! There is something so rewarding about playing the odds and winning not only a soon-to-be prized possession but at a close-out price at that.
Cheers to ya

dean_martin
09-21-2006, 06:55 AM

ME!!!!

Da Worfster...

here's a tip for ya - your kid can get a couple more months out of those shoes with a little duct tape and those knuckleheaded kids think it's a fashion statement!

and, it's not all smooth sailin'. I still haven't told the wife. she happened to be out of town visiting her niece and niece's new baby when I placed my order (purely coincidental timing). she'll be back early afternoon today and I'm still workin' on my story.

dean_martin
09-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Sounds like you've got them for a great price. I happen to really like monitors like your new 5.0's, especially when driven by the right amplification. Good luck!

There are some very good speakers out there in the entry-level $300 price range, but I've been wanting to move up to the next level of performance in my main 2-ch system for a long time.

Bernd
09-21-2006, 07:06 AM
here's a tip for ya - your kid can get a couple more months out of those shoes with a little duct tape and those knuckleheaded kids think it's a fashion statement!

and, it's not all smooth sailin'. I still haven't told the wife. she happened to be out of town visiting her niece and niece's new baby when I placed my order (purely coincidental timing). she'll be back early afternoon today and I'm still workin' on my story.

Should be no problem for you being a Lawyer.:ihih:

How about: They come from overseas and I got a really great exchange rate. And if by pure chance your better half discoveres the real cost be all agitated, because you can't trust what anybody says anymore.:ihih:

This is purely for information purpose only!!!!!

Good Luck

Bernd:16:

Kam
09-21-2006, 08:28 AM
can't wait to see the pics! i am a big fan of waiting for that "right time" to purchase speakers that are no longer made by the manufacturer because they sure do come at a HUGE discount from the original price.... patience has some serious rewards! (that, and ebay!)

and incase you havent talked to mrs. deano about it yet, to toss in another suggested explanation is... no explanation.

"what? those are the same speakers... you never noticed? (get offended) see... this is what happens when you don't pay attention to MY hobbies!"

:D

then buy her flowers.

Dusty Chalk
09-21-2006, 07:10 PM
We should all chip in and buy him a pair...

...of earplugs.

Worf101
09-22-2006, 03:18 AM
Worf, I hate to be the one to give you the bad news but if you kid is 13 years old, the spending has only just begun. The most I can see in your future for a long time are a few occasional CD purchases. My prayers are with you. LOL Jeff
Geee thanks Grandpaw... with encouragement like that you'll find me with my haid in de oven!!! LOL.. I honestly don't know how folks with 2 and 3 kids make it these days. I may grumble (a bit) but I don't begrudge anyone anything they've WORKED for. I'm glad I at least get to "live a little" vicariously through my friends here...

Thanks for the "heads up" on the misery to come... sob...

Da Worfster

Worf101
09-22-2006, 03:20 AM
Worf,

If it helps at all, my whole system has been packed up for months. Only the whimpy bedroom system remains running.
That situation, in a word... sucks. I don't think I could live without "quality" sound for months. Pray tell why the self torture?

Da Worfster :confused:

Worf101
09-22-2006, 03:22 AM

What are you doin' in HERE talking when you should be out THERE schemin'? Deano... (He of the coolest Avatar I've ever seen), I've a futon in the computer room and a small fridge in da basement... You can hide out here till the gun fire stops...

Da Worrfster

dean_martin
09-22-2006, 04:36 AM
What are you doin' in HERE talking when you should be out THERE schemin'? Deano... (He of the coolest Avatar I've ever seen), I've a futon in the computer room and a small fridge in da basement... You can hide out here till the gun fire stops...

Da Worrfster

Everything worked out w/the wife. When Kam suggested flowers I realized it was time to act. The wife loves the right greeting card - not just any card. It can't be anything sappy. It has to be funny. I found the perfect "missed you" card and a box of Haviland thin mints (a favorite of hers), took them home and left them for her. She called me at work about an hour later. So, when I got home she was ready to hear my news. She was fine with it so long as she gets her Canon digital SLR camera for Christmas. Gotta go...I'm going to work a little early this morning and probably will every morning 'til Christmas.

jrhymeammo
09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Hey Dean, what's the best type of lawyer? I'd asked that to my Biz Law instructor. He had always said most importantly "Sleezy". Open the phonebook and pick the one with the BIGGEST ad. Also see if last name sounds jewish. I agree.

dean_martin
09-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey Dean, what's the best type of lawyer? I'd asked that to my Biz Law instructor. He had always said most importantly "Sleezy". Open the phonebook and pick the one with the BIGGEST ad. Also see if last name sounds jewish. I agree.

Probably the guy below is representative of the best type of lawyer. He's the only member of Forbes 400 richest Americans that made his money practicing law. I'm sure he didn't get where he is by being "sleezy." It looks like he did his time in the local DA's office, then went out on his own representing people who couldn't afford to pay a lawyer by the hour. It also looks like he earned the respect of big business and educational institutions too. His last name certainly ain't Smith, but I don't know whether he's Jewish or not and don't really care.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/54/biz_06rich400_Joseph-Dahr-Jamail-Jr_H8XP.html

Florian
09-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Cheer up Worf!

I am dead broke, spent as much as a NICEEEE car on my new speakers, more money on new amps, money for the electrician to run high current lines, a ****load of money to move the bloddy speakers and now a small fortune on cables and i might have to spend the very last bit into fixing the damn board computer on my speakers. Why the hell do i buy a speaker with a computer anyway :confused5:

Woochifer
09-28-2006, 05:25 PM

ME!!!!

Da Worfster...

:lol:

As usual Worf, you're a fountain of graciousness and we're all fortunate to be swimming in it! :D

Actually, the only new gear I've added in the past three years has been that SACD player that I bought during Good Guys' liquidation sale last year. Otherwise, my only other new "addition" is about seven months from "delivery"! That's gonna ultimately cost me a lot more than just about any audio gear will (but ultimately prove more rewarding than any system upgrade too), and in the beginning at least I'll only hear the sounds of squawking, belching, and crying!

At least you're whining about a 13-year old, I'm not even on the clock yet! Looks like it will be 19 more years until I finish my home theater 2.0 ...

Dang Worf, now you got me in a grumbling mood! :incazzato:

Woochifer
09-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Deano -

Sounds like you got yourself quite a find, so congrats! Too bad though that your good fortune had to come from Soliloquy's misfortune. Hope you enjoy the results!

Worf101
10-02-2006, 05:01 AM
:lol:

As usual Worf, you're a fountain of graciousness and we're all fortunate to be swimming in it! :D

Actually, the only new gear I've added in the past three years has been that SACD player that I bought during Good Guys' liquidation sale last year. Otherwise, my only other new "addition" is about seven months from "delivery"! That's gonna ultimately cost me a lot more than just about any audio gear will (but ultimately prove more rewarding than any system upgrade too), and in the beginning at least I'll only hear the sounds of squawking, belching, and crying!

At least you're whining about a 13-year old, I'm not even on the clock yet! Looks like it will be 19 more years until I finish my home theater 2.0 ...

Dang Worf, now you got me in a grumbling mood! :incazzato:

I am the fount of graciousness... Least that's what they used to called me in the yard at Sing Sing... Wooch!!! You ole scallawag, welcome to the world of Pampers and poop, late night walky walky sessions, preagnant mood swings and all manner of lovelyness. Misery LOVES company.... and now I got's COMPANY!!!! Oooh goody goody. All I pray for is a healthy kid for you with VERY large lungs....:ciappa:

Da Worfster

dean_martin
10-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Deano -

Sounds like you got yourself quite a find, so congrats! Too bad though that your good fortune had to come from Soliloquy's misfortune. Hope you enjoy the results!

Yeah, I know. I would have much rather paid a little more for the peace of mind that comes with knowing that the manufacturer is still a going concern. But, I started my research on speakers to mate with my tube amp way before I had the money to actually buy them and didn't really want to start over when I thought I had come up with the perfect match. In addition, when you have kids competing for your money (hint, hint) a large discount doesn't hurt. Lots of folks in this hobby take chances that at one time I would've never taken, but life is too short not to take a chance on something that pleases in the far too few lighter moments.