Best Comp I ever got? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Comp I ever got?

Jim Clark
02-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Not too much comp talk on the board lately so it's not going to be an overload and I'm gonna tell you the tale of what is quite possibly the best comp I ever got my hands on. Yesterday a Yello comp arrived from jolly old England and it's FANTASTIC! Everyone is familiar with "Oh Yeah" as featured on Ferris Buehler and The Secret Of My Success. That song sucks compared to the toons on this comp. I don't know how an actual Yello album eluded my capture over the years but there you have it. Sound quality seems pretty high on first listen. I don't know if these are from remasters or if the Dodge Caravan was masking any analog hiss as I trudged along the snow filled streets of Lenexa earlier today but the sound was grand.

Mike didn't send along a tracklist but I trust he will do so here. Lot's of great songs that surprisingly don't sound dated to me in the least. Of course given my normal listening I may have built up an immunity by now. In addition to the normal electronic effects you can catch some injection of very soulful elements and a surprising amount of twangy guitar that on some songs even reminds me a bit of WOV. Yep, great stuff on here that is a joy to listen to.

He tells me he made this for a friend and I don't know if any other RR'rs are going to get this. Things can get pretty costly shipping overseas so if Mike doesn't object if there is any interest I can ship a few copies stateside.

Mike, thanks a million. I sent a package out to you earlier in the week and I hope that everything works correctly this time around. It should and I even did some spot checking. I've got my fingers crossed.

Now I'm going to play this disc on the best system I can find around here.

jc

Mike
02-05-2004, 10:01 AM
woh steady on Jim...glad you like it though. I thought it might appeal to you but they won't be to everybody's liking.

The tracks come from a selection of albums Flag, Baby, Zebra, Stella and a 1992/4? comp called Essential. They always produced high quality stuff but I think the pre 90 tracks from the compilation do sound very good so they maybe are remastered in some form. I don't have the tracklist with me but I'll email the cover I made up to you soon.

You should be able to pick up most of the albums pretty cheap now I would have thought. I remember them fondly from the 80's when I had the vinyl, and you are right they don't sound too dated now probably because they had such a distinctive wacky sound.

Cheers and thanks in advance for the package you sent
Mike

Dusty Chalk
02-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Yello have always been high on the fidelity front. Alan Parsons even includes a portion of one of their tracks on his system test disk.

I've always been a fan of theirs. Their more recent albums since Zebra, Pocket Universe, The Eye etc. aren't as good, but still enjoyable. But my favourite albums are One Second and Stella. You're right, Jim, those never get old.