Maggie crossover wire/inductor foil protection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Maggie crossover wire/inductor foil protection

bubslewis
09-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Having upgraded the crossover caps and inductor on my Maggie 1.6's a little while ago, I'm generally pleased with the results. Still haven't finished the boxes to house the the now-external crossover (will get around to that eventually).

One nagging problem, however. I got some poly shrink tubing (the kind specifically made for wire) but had much trouble with it. I expected it to shrink up and collapse around the wire when I heated it, but it just kinda shriveled up and didn't provide any kind of a good seal at all. It doesn't do at all for the foil strips on the inductors

I've noticed a slight bit of corrosion (oh no!) at the end of the exposed inductor foils, so I've been spraying them down with DE-OXIT cleaner on a frequent basis. I definitely need some protection here. What can I use? I think DE-OXIT makes some kind of thick gel that hardens after application, but am uncertain if this stuff is the right thing to use.

Is electrical tape a no no?

JoeE SP9
09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
If Flo hasn't noticed this thread you might want to pm him about this. He has lots of experience with replacement crossovers for Maggy's.:idea:

bubslewis
09-21-2006, 07:14 PM
If Flo hasn't noticed this thread you might want to pm him about this. He has lots of experience with replacement crossovers for Maggy's.:idea:

Florian, Oh Florian, where are you when I need you??

Feanor
09-22-2006, 07:08 AM

Is electrical tape a no no?

:arf: Use good-old electrical tape until you find something else and have time to apply it.