password [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : password

tin ear
09-19-2006, 05:25 PM
How can I log in without typing my password every time?

Using Firefox 1.5, and have set it to allow cookeis from this site. But when I log out this board says "All cookies cleared!" Where is the option to not clear?

I don't have to type my password to log into any other boards I use.

I figured that the "remember me" checkbox might do something, but apparently not. :confused:

Too many passwords to remember here in the 21st century - PITA!

TIA
Jon

Dusty Chalk
09-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Try not logging out -- just close the window.

tin ear
09-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Try not logging out -- just close the window.

Just tried that; doesn't work. :idea:

ericl
10-02-2006, 01:55 PM
what do you do when you leave the site? just close the browser window? that's the message you get when you click the "Log Out" button..

tin ear
10-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Usually I just close the browser or go elsewhere. It's probably best to logout, I know, because if I don't logout, the board thinks I'm still in, kind of. In that case, if I later come back to AR and look at the logged in users list, it shows me as logged in, though I am not (can't post, etc.).

So I try to remember to log out before leaving, though I slip up a lot.

So the answer is: usually I just jump out, not log out.

May be a security setting I have somewhere. I tend to be cautious...

-j

Dusty Chalk
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about it as showing you logged in when you're not -- a minor inconvenience compared to the inconvenience of logging in and logging out.

And since that's the only answer to your original question, that is my advice.

I'm getting some weird anomalies, myself, and it may be related. Every other screen I enter needs to be reloaded. For example, when I load the forums.audioreview.com window, it shows me as logged in. If I hit New Posts, it asks me to log in. I hit reload (without logging in, mind you), and it shows new posts. Weird, huh? I should try watching cookies to see what it's doing.

tin ear
10-05-2006, 04:41 PM
OK well, try this: I show up as logged on, but there is no New Posts option unless I login (reload doesn't help). All I get are Guest options. This, after I have completely closed my browser, then re-opened it. :confused:

Maybe I should try all this in Internet Exploder. I hate to, though; I haven't touched that program in months. :prrr:

And what the heck is the Remember Me? checkbox for?

jrhymeammo
10-06-2006, 05:51 PM
On your brower screen go to tools, options, privacy, then edit options there. I also use Mozilla and you should clear all your passwords and history. That's one way to protect yourself from others. IE blows

tin ear
10-06-2006, 06:18 PM
That almost makes sense, in that some of firefox's commands work counter-intuitively. :idea:

Some of the help files seem outdated, too.

For sure IE blows. I've had this laptop for over a year and have never seriously used IE on it. Only if I absolutely had to to access a certain site that wouldn't work w/o it.
P.S. When I bought the wife a laptop I informed her that we don't use i-net exploder on this net. Naturally I got that swmbo who the frick are you? look. Hey, around here I AM ROOT. Go plug into the wall and dialup if you don't like that.

Thnx
-jon