Warning: Walmart Bargain Bin DVDs. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Walmart Bargain Bin DVDs.

Smokey
09-19-2006, 03:03 PM
I thought Walmart will take anything back if one have the receipt. But apparently that is not the truth.

I found a DVD in bargain bin (DVDs for $5.50 in a big pile), and the DVD was defective. Took it back with receipt and the lady said they will only exchange it with same title. So I said fine.

Went thru the same pile and could not find same title. Went back to customer service, and the lady told me I am pretty much out of luck for getting a refund since same title was not found. So basically I’m screwed :mad2:

I really don’t care about the money, but Walmart should make exceptions about their bargain bin DVDs not only because the way they are stored (one on top of one another) which make them more prone to damage, but also because the same title might not be available.

Anybody need a coaster :D

ericl
09-19-2006, 03:28 PM
hey smokey, did i tell you my story about the Walmart/HDTV debacle? I had the same exact issue, but with an $800 HDTV! except they sent me to two stores three different times and gave TWO more DOA HDTVs! I had to raise hell with a regional manager to get my money back because they couldn't give me a working replacment.. what a nightmare.

Smokey
09-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Man that is a nightmare as I know first hand how labor intensive is to take one of those ship anchor TVs home, and then take it back to store. Returned two TVs (32 inch and 27 inch) to Sears from my third floor apartment. And on top of that, got charged 15% restocking fee :incazzato:

Glad you got your money back.

Mr Peabody
09-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Wal-mart shot themselves in the foot for getting a reputation for taking anything back even without a receipt. I've been amazed at the stuff I saw them take back. But this isn't an excuse for doing a total 180. They should have at least let you have another title out of the bin. My brother in law bought some of those DVD's and they were the wrong region code for the U.S. It's just bad management to lose potential business over a $5.00 movie. I don't know who is in charge now at Wal-Mart but some one is about to run Sam's dream into the ground.

You have to wonder though if some of these companies are too big to fall. It don't seem to bother people that Wal-Mart can hire illegal immigrants, or not offer health insurance, or full time positions and break child labor laws. Sears seemed to weather the storm of ripping people off at their auto service garages.

paul_pci
09-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a law that stipulates that is a product in question is defective, that is doesn't work/operate as designed that the store must refund the money or provide a replacement? What I'm thinking is that this matter has nothing to do with a return policy at all, but consumer laws, fraud, and fair trade, as it were.

ForeverAutumn
09-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I just bought 5 DVDs from that bin a couple of weeks ago. I'd better check, soon, to make sure they're in working order. Thanks for the head's up.

Mr Peabody
09-20-2006, 03:19 PM
I wish that law was true and I don't know that it isn't, I just have my doubts because many big box stores like Best Buy will sell you a product and tell you they don't want to see you again unless you buy their extended warranty. They tell you to take any warranty problems up with the manufacturer. But now this attitude is the norm thanks to people buying from them thinking the will save a dollar and forgoing customer service while the "mom & pop" stores who depend on giving service to get you back, go out of business. So did anyone really save? I don't think so.

Smokey
09-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Even if that law existed, I don't think anybody at Walmart have heard about it. The girl I talk to at customer service looks like was just out of high school, and first thing she want to see was the receipt. May be I should have gone higher up to get some action.

just bought 5 DVDs from that bin a couple of weeks ago. I'd better check, soon, to make sure they're in working order. Thanks for the head's up.

You are on your own :D

paul_pci
09-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I wish that law was true and I don't know that it isn't, I just have my doubts because many big box stores like Best Buy will sell you a product and tell you they don't want to see you again unless you buy their extended warranty. They tell you to take any warranty problems up with the manufacturer. But now this attitude is the norm thanks to people buying from them thinking the will save a dollar and forgoing customer service while the "mom & pop" stores who depend on giving service to get you back, go out of business. So did anyone really save? I don't think so.

Extended warranties are for if a product breaks down after a period of normal working order which is not the case here. I think no store can rightfull sell a defective product, which isn't a matter of wear and tear or abuse or accident, but simply a defect. Smokey, I'd say frame like that and see how far you get.

Worf101
09-21-2006, 04:22 AM
Walmart as you know it now, probably won't exist if gas prices rise and stay in the mid to high 3 dollar range. When your supply lines stretch to China (literrally) a couple of buck price rise in gasoline is disasterous. That money drain combined with increased competition, market saturation and anti-Walmart sentiment around the country and you have a store that can no long do things as it once did. I'm surprised they took returns as long as they did...

Da Worfster

squeegy200
09-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a law that stipulates that is a product in question is defective, that is doesn't work/operate as designed that the store must refund the money or provide a replacement? What I'm thinking is that this matter has nothing to do with a return policy at all, but consumer laws, fraud, and fair trade, as it were.

Laws vary from state to state. Here in California its called Implied Warranty.