copying cd's does it matter how its done [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : copying cd's does it matter how its done

Mark_IDT
09-19-2006, 03:07 AM
I use roxios on my dell to copy cd's. Is there a better way to copy cds? I've always thought it wouldn't matter how you do it and a digital signal dosen't suffer loss with various software or hardware. Then I see this program exact audio copy that rips cds into various formats and supposidly does so with greater accuracy. So it got me thinking I may be missing something. All the music I listen to is burnt cds I dont keep my actual cds in my play case they get scratched, permanty borrowed without my consent, ect. So when something happens I can just make a new one. I don't notice any difference so my worry isn't much concern. My dvd plaver plays .mp3 data disks and I can't even tell a difference between those and the orgionals. None the less I'm wondering if anything makes a difference.

Wireworm5
09-19-2006, 08:12 AM
I have found that some programs that you can download don't do a good job at conversion and as a result put random glitches in the music. But there may have been other factors involved such as computer viruses on my computer. But programs like Roxio and Exact copy are good ones. I have had problems with Roxio over the years and I use Nero now which I think is pretty good but you have to pay extra for mp3 conversion.
Cheap cds are a problem too, you can get glitches or skips or it just won't copy. So I use good cds like Sony and Verbatim. I am particularly happy with Verbatims as I ripped a bunch of cds and didn't have one dud. So I'll be using those in the future. On my standalone burner with cheap cds I get lots of duds.
As for sound quality difference, when my friend and I first started burning cds. We used Windows Media at 192. We could not tell a difference at this bite rate from the original cd so this is what we used. I ended up converting everything to mp3 because the car player could not play wma and it was more convenient to use mp3 than having to convert everything. But since then my stereo has gotten better and I can discern the difference between 320 mp3 and the original when played on it.
I have also noticed on some store bought cd music a cd-r copy will sound better than the origianl cheap cds they use in mass production.
Just my .02 cents

Dusty Chalk
09-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, definitely use EAC. There is something about redbook and computers, where most software does not utilize all of redbooks capabilities to create as bit-perfect a copy as possible.

superpanavision70mm
09-19-2006, 01:12 PM
I have an Apple with iTunes...does it do a good job of copying CD's or burning a CD? What settings should I keep it at?

N. Abstentia
09-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I have an Apple with iTunes...does it do a good job of copying CD's or burning a CD? What settings should I keep it at?

iTunes would be an example of 'ripped product not even close to the original!' :ihih:

Feanor
09-19-2006, 03:51 PM

I rip CDs to Apple Lossless format using iTunes. I enable error correction not that I have any evidence that it makes a difference in my case: see Edit> Preferences >Advanced >Importing.

I have used Exact Audio Copy, but I don'f feel it adds anything in my case. It's interesting how few errors the program reports on a typical disk; it's usually in the range of 0 - 3 very minor, correctable errors.

I find iTunes quite satisfactory, but then again I'm not a "golden ear" like some around here. See my motto, below ...

Mark_IDT
09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm more asking about just copying cds here and if software/hardware makes any difference. As for converting into other formats I'll worry about later. Ok what about using a dual disk cd player/copier compared to using a computer. Would there be any difference in sound quality between these two?

hermanv
09-20-2006, 07:39 AM
I have read reviews of CD recorders where it was claimed that faster writing speeds created a higer error rate on the CD and reduced sound quality. Most of these reviews said staying at 8 times speed or less cleared up the problem.

These reviews are a coup[le of years old and may no longer be accurate. It does make some sense that writing speed will effect the degree of "burn" in a CD, I know that some homemade CDs are difficult to read, they take much longer to start playing in my player so it seems they aren't quite exact copies or the quality of pits and valleys is low. This too should lead to a higher error rate and consequently poor audio quality.