Any Speaker Suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Speaker Suggestions?

Big_Malcy
02-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Hi! Ive recently decided to upgrade the speakers on my home music system, Im currently running a Marantz CD6000OSE/LE through a Marantz SR5000OSE Home cinema amp. My rears and surrounds and currently really nasty, my main speakers (Which I'd like to be really goos as I do listen to a large amount of stereo music) Are Eltax Liberty 5+'s which I feel are really letting the side down. Ive been told to try out some Quad's possibly, but I still haven't got a list of types/manufacturers to go and listen to. The system does have a fairly bright sound to it at present, Any sugggestions??]
Thanks
Malc

TinHere
02-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Supply more info to get some real help.

Budget?
Whole system or just mains?
Room Size?
Do you like the "bright" sound?
Musical preferences?
%HT vs Music?

RGA
02-05-2004, 11:41 AM
TinHere is quite correct. Specifics really need to be identified because a lot of set-ups are geared for home theatre exaggeration rather than a music first approach.

I gather you're in the $800 range if you're looking at Quads for two front speakers. Home theater is obviously important to you. The Quads are supposed to be good. The new Wharfedales are impressive and they are under the Quad umbrella along with Mission. SO perhaps they too are worth investigating.

Big_Malcy
02-06-2004, 07:48 AM
Budget between £700 and £900, so yeah in dollars round $800ish, Music takes my preference over theatre, although, it is important that I can get some decent matches to the mains. Musical taste is mostly alternative, REM, Gomez, Roadiohead, also some soul, jazz, Blues Norah jones etc. Nothing majorly bass driven, I don't listen to electronica or dance etc really which would be mostly bass driven. I Do quite appriciate the 'bright' sound from the marantz, but if it was matched with a specifically bright set of speakers it may be too trebelly! Room's about 12ft by 22ft ish! I was also thinking maybe a sub for the home cinema later on, when I get the rears, and centre to match the mains. Hope this helps, cheers guys!