Need help on reciever speaker settings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help on reciever speaker settings

Grandpaw
09-18-2006, 05:49 AM
I know this has been ask before but I am just trying to get the best sound out of my system. I have been reading about bass management and I'm getting a little confused as to what the different setting should be at. I have an Onkyo TX-DS777 and I am using Infinity Kappa 7.1 series II speakers in the front, Kappa 6.1 series II in the rear and a Infinity IL36C for my center. For my sub I have a Infinity SWS212 sub-woofer. I will give you the specs. for each speaker below. What would be your suggestions as to the setting such as large or small speakers and what are the other setting you would use on the receiver.

I know this is a fairly involved question but the more I read the more confused I get. Any help to get the most out of my system would be greatly appreciated, Jeff

I hope I have included all the information you might need. What I am looking for is the receiver setting that would make these speakers do their best.

I would just like to add that I can operate the receiver and get the setting set, I just need advice on what to put the settings on.

FRONT SPEAKERS
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS Infinity Kappa 7.1 series II
Frequency Response: 39Hz - 35kHz (+/-2dB)
Crossover Frequency(ies): 500Hz, 4.5kHz
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 30 - 250 watts, RMS
Sensitivity: 89dB (2.83 volts/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Woofer: 10" IMG
Midrange Driver: Polydome
Tweeter: EMIT - R

REAR SPEAKERS
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS Infinity Kappa 6.1 series II
Frequency Response: 45Hz - 35kHz (+/-2dB)
Crossover Frequency(ies): 500Hz, 4.5kHz
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 30 - 200 watts, RMS
Sensitivity: 89dB (2.83 volts/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Woofer: 8" IMG
Midrange Driver: Polydome
Tweeter: EMIT - R

Infinity IL 36C center speaker
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 15 - 175 watts
Frequency Response (±3dB): 55Hz - 22kHz
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 91dB
Impedance: 8 ohms
Crossover Frequency: 800Hz, 2500Hz - 24dB/octave
Woofer: (2)6 1/2" C.M.M.D.
Midrange Driver: 4" C.M.M.D.
Tweeter: 1" C.M.M.D.
Dimensions
(H x W x D): 9" x 23" x 12-1/2"
Weight: 32 lb.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS SWS 212 sub woofer
Frequency Response: 25Hz - 120Hz
Crossover Frequency(ies): 40Hz - 120Hz continuously variable
Power Output: AMPLIFIER - 300 watts RMS
Woofer: Dual 12" IMG
Weight: 72lbs.
Dimensions
(H x W x D): 20-1/4 x 31-1/2 x 11-1/4

Onkyo TX-DS77 manual can be found here.....
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-ds777_tx-ds676_manual_e.pdf#search=%22Onkyo%20TX-DS777%20manual%22

shokhead
09-18-2006, 06:18 AM
A good place to start is set all speakers to small and sub yes. Set x over to 80.Get a spl meter from RS and set them to 75db. Thats where you start and play from there.

kexodusc
09-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Shocky has pretty much nailed it! If you don't have an auto-setup feature (microphone that plugs into receiver) then use an SPL meter...if you don't have an SPL meter - get one!

Set the speakers to small, and the subwoofer to "yes" or "on" or "subwoofer" or whatever it is called by your machine...but don't select "both". This crosses all speakers over at the 80 Hz filter, and allows the sub to blend in best (it's often a 4th order filter on modern receivers).

On the back of your subwoofer plate amplifier, be sure to turn the crossover dial to the highest number - 120 Hz in your case (this means effectively no crossover applied) or, if your sub has it, use the crossover bypass feature.

L.J.
09-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Uhh.....what they said :wink5:

There's some nice articles over at Audioholics (http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/bassmanagementbasics.php).

Kex and Shok nailed it, but it's still a nice read.

EdwardGein
09-18-2006, 05:55 PM
One last thing, after you've used the SPL settings, if something doesn't quite sound balaced to your ears,trust your gut & change the levels. You very easy can have different unbalanced hearing levels in your ears & the SPL meters don't account for that. You may also wish to play a mono CD recording if you have one & see if that's balanced for your ears.

Grandpaw
09-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks to everyone so far for the help. I did set all speakers to small and re calibrated my system. The bass is much cleaner now. I am still playing with my system and haven't tried a movie yet just music so far. The bass is no longer boomy like it was before.

My sub has a 300 watt amp in it and I still don't need the volume over a two on the control on the sub. The setting for my sub in the receiver is set to zero being neither turned up or down. Having a sub with 300 watts seems to be serious overkill much less what power some of the other subs mentioned on the forum has.

I am still reading about Bass Management and learning but you have me headed in the right direction it seems. Thanks, Jeff

shokhead
09-18-2006, 06:57 PM
The gain on the sub shouldnt be past 11 o'clock most the time.
ED,where in the heck have you been,dead?

Wireworm5
09-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Sorry guys I have a modified spin on your recemondations based on my experience, then I've always been a black sheep.
1) with your typical AV/receiver your probably driving 5 speakers. This is a fair load on the receiver. If you set the speakers to large this sends bass freq. to those speakers putting added strain on the receiver resulting in clipping at higher spl listening and even reduced speaker performance at normal levels .Therefore you set the speakers to small and let the sub handle the bass thereby eliminating the unnecassary load on receiver.

2) However, lets say you add power amps or have a hefty Av/receiver to begin with and have more than enough power to handle bass freq. without clipping. Then you don't necassarily want to have speakers set to small. It then becomes a bass management issue. In my system I have just the surround speakers set to large. If I set the fronts to large as well then my room becomes overwhelmed with upper bass. The sub still handles freq. below 80 hz. Or if I set the fronts to large instead I still have too much upper bass for my liking. Of coarse there are other things I can do as well like turning off the bass extension.
Anyways with sufficient power it comes down to what sounds the best for your room. Experiment 'till you get the optimum sound for you whether it be large or small speaker settings.

Grandpaw
09-20-2006, 11:34 AM
The gain on the sub shouldnt be past 11 o'clock most the time.
ED,where in the heck have you been,dead?

My sub is set about 7:00 or 8:00 ( not sure if it's AM or PM) on my dial on the sub or about volume 2. Thanks,shokhead and Wireworm5 for giving me your input. I'm still playing with the settings and liking it more and more, Jeff

shokhead
09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
LOL,thats right. Its AM.