Looking for opinions on Energy Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on Energy Speakers

gdeola101
02-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Greetings, based on cost and the needs of myself being a newbie to the HT world I picked up a package deal of the Energy Take 5.2 set + 8.2 sub to attach to my Denon 1803. This has been great for my HT needs, but for straight audio from CD the satellites are just a bit weak there.

The long term plan is to buy better front L/R speakers, and when space permits place the Energy 2.2 satellites as surrounds and surround back/zone2 (the discreet 6.1 channel?). To replace the fronts, thinking Energy Connoisseur C-5 floorstanders, but looking for anyone who has used them or something near that style in the Energy line.

I'm in a smaller apartment, so I don't want maddening loud, that and the Denon puts out 80w per channel. I'd love to hear any thoughts or opinions on this plan, the only retailer where I can audition the speakers is 2 states away. Keep in mind I'm not going for the best of the best, just looking for good speakers and don't want to replace the entire setup. If there are other good fronts from Energy, or something horribly wrong with them, let me know.

IRG
02-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Greetings, based on cost and the needs of myself being a newbie to the HT world I picked up a package deal of the Energy Take 5.2 set + 8.2 sub to attach to my Denon 1803. This has been great for my HT needs, but for straight audio from CD the satellites are just a bit weak there.

The long term plan is to buy better front L/R speakers, and when space permits place the Energy 2.2 satellites as surrounds and surround back/zone2 (the discreet 6.1 channel?). To replace the fronts, thinking Energy Connoisseur C-5 floorstanders, but looking for anyone who has used them or something near that style in the Energy line.

I'm in a smaller apartment, so I don't want maddening loud, that and the Denon puts out 80w per channel. I'd love to hear any thoughts or opinions on this plan, the only retailer where I can audition the speakers is 2 states away. Keep in mind I'm not going for the best of the best, just looking for good speakers and don't want to replace the entire setup. If there are other good fronts from Energy, or something horribly wrong with them, let me know.

Hey,
I haven't heard the 5.2 system, but I do own the C-3 bookshelf for a 2 channel audio only system and I think very highly of them. I need to sell them though, as a cat and a 2 year old have knocked them off the stands now. Very durable speakers though!

If I could find the C-5 for a reasonable price, I would go that route. For you, in a smaller apartment, I would stick with bookshelves. The C-3s put out really good bass for their size, and I am assuming you already have a sub, so you don't need it. For me. I am not using a sub, so a bigger speaker would help.

I don't know about mixing them with the 5.2s. They are a different animal altogether. Temporarily it would be ok, but you might want to get the C center speaker (the newer one) and a pair of C-1s for surround. But to start with, the C-3s are a terrific speaker for music, and would easily do HT. They aren't the cheapest speaker out there at $500, and it is hard to find them discounted, but they are worth it IMO.

Others to consider would be the B&W DM303 (especially for your listening environment) the Axiom bookshelves, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1, the Athena line sold at BB, and a few others out there.

If you are intrested in buying used let me know. Not sure where to get them online. Audioadvisor had been selling the Energy Veritas speakers for like $599 which is a terrific deal. They also sell the Athena and Wharfedale lines too.

Good luck!

kexodusc
02-05-2004, 08:12 AM
I'm a huge fan of Energy's speakers. In my opinion they are an incrdible value, especially the Connoisseur line. If you've got the extra cash, the Veritas are a very versatile speaker that will please you for many years, but dollar for dollar, I think the C-5's are probably your best bet.

If you feel the need to stray away from Energy, I find B&W, Athena, Paradigm, and Mirage are all pretty equal with Energy in terms of value and performance, with slightly different characterstics differentiating each brand...its a personal preference thing, but they're a good place to start shopping.

gdeola101
02-05-2004, 08:44 AM
IRG, thanks for the input on the C-3s we were considering those, but my wife, love her to death saw the C-5 floorstanders and was like, ok we want those :D ! My main concern is as you said "mixing them with the 5.2s. They are a different animal altogether" The current setup is as such:

Take 2.2 Front R/L
Take 1.2 Center
Take 2.2 Surround R/L
Take 8.2 Sub
http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5-2/take5-2_speakers_system.html

Which with tweaking of the Denon (another post in HT, boy did I have some things wrong) things sound better on Audio. Still I would like to get some better solid speakers up front.

Do you think that the Take system would sound highly mismatched with a pair of C-5s up front? Or should I for sonic matching end up getting the C-C1/C3 center channel? From there using the 4 Take 2.2 surrounds as the rear channels and the DTS ES discrete? Or am I going totally backwards here, thinking that speakers from the some company should sound decent together?

kexodusc:

I'm a huge fan of Energy's speakers. In my opinion they are an incrdible value, especially the Connoisseur line. If you've got the extra cash, the Veritas are a very versatile speaker that will please you for many years, but dollar for dollar, I think the C-5's are probably your best bet.

Totaly agree, I've heard good things about Energy speakers, more that they are not the greatest thing out there but damn fine for the money. The entire Take 5.2 set with the 8.2 sub (pkg deal) cost me only around $400 I think. They have been solid performers, so no reason to bail on the product line, more whether I can mix/match their offerings.

kexodusc
02-05-2004, 10:32 AM
You'll find much of the forum is split on timbre matching speakers. Ideally you want the same drivers, same cabinets, from the same brand etc...I've read articles that suggest room characteristics will change the timbre of speakers more so than speaker material by the time it reaches your ears anyway...I don't know how to verify that.

Through uprades, pieces at a time, I've personally been more satisfied with matching speakers, particularly the front main speakers matched with the center channel...I find matching rears is less important, and sub-woofers the most forgiving.

If you listen to some multi-channel music, matching speakers might be a bit more important, though most 5.1 audio sources I've hears use the rears for either ambiance or the crowds applause, allowing you to get away with imperfect matching.

Another claim I've encountered is that speakers within a manufacturers product line are timbre matched more closely to each other than to competitors products. I think there is some truth in that, I'm sure Energy uses some of the same materials (wood, rubbers, whatever) to build many different speakers, but I'm also inclined to believe this something companies dream up so they sell you 5 speakers instead of just 2.

I haven't answered anything for you, but some points to consider...good luck.

JSE
02-05-2004, 12:07 PM
If you get the C-5, your center may be a little mismatched but I think it will make due. You could always use phantom mode for the center until you could get the CC3. Definitely get the CC3 over the CC1. I really like the C-5 and thinks it's a great deal. You're rears should be fine as rears. It's really the front three that need to match. If you like the C-5, I say go for it. I think it's one of the best speakers in it's class/price range. You will hear a much more dramatic difference by upgrading your fronts to the C-5 as opposed to just adding a better center to your current set up.

JSE

IRG
02-05-2004, 12:15 PM
You'll find much of the forum is split on timbre matching speakers. Ideally you want the same drivers, same cabinets, from the same brand etc...I've read articles that suggest room characteristics will change the timbre of speakers more so than speaker material by the time it reaches your ears anyway...I don't know how to verify that.

Through uprades, pieces at a time, I've personally been more satisfied with matching speakers, particularly the front main speakers matched with the center channel...I find matching rears is less important, and sub-woofers the most forgiving.

If you listen to some multi-channel music, matching speakers might be a bit more important, though most 5.1 audio sources I've hears use the rears for either ambiance or the crowds applause, allowing you to get away with imperfect matching.

Another claim I've encountered is that speakers within a manufacturers product line are timbre matched more closely to each other than to competitors products. I think there is some truth in that, I'm sure Energy uses some of the same materials (wood, rubbers, whatever) to build many different speakers, but I'm also inclined to believe this something companies dream up so they sell you 5 speakers instead of just 2.

I haven't answered anything for you, but some points to consider...good luck.

I'm inclined to agree with you here. I would advise, if getting the C-5, I would also get the matching center speaker. Then use the 5.2s for surround only, keep the sub for now. I don't think the C series and the Take 5 series have anything in common, timbre wise, driver, construction, etc. For music, if you only want 2 channel stereo, then the center speaker won't matter. But back to HT, I would want a really good center speaker, especially one that matches the volume and overall sound to the c-5.

And cosmetically, I like the consistent look of one brand of speaker. But that's just me. 3 pairs of C-5s would be great! But for budget purposes, buy the c-5 first, center speaker next (if not the same time, and save some money perhaps), sub next (and here, timbre matching with brands is not a factor at all) and finally the surrounding speakers upgrade last if at all.

HT BUFF
02-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Hello,

I have been using these C7'S since Dec 2002 now and they are wonderful, my wife bought me the CC3 center channel for Christmas 2003 so I have a nice set-up.
All these were bought at www.audioshop.on.ca as they have an annual Energy selloff
in Dec every year and they are considered B stock,blems etc and to find actual blems
on them is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
1st and foremost they are sonically perfect and if you are sitting down I can tell you
what I paid for them all $850 CDN for the C7'S and $350 CDN for the CC3.
If you are patient it will be worth the wait.

Debbi
02-07-2004, 05:07 AM
if they still have them for 499/pr
http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?Variant=1&AttribNum=1&pf_id=6734&sku=ENERV2.1B&selAttribute_1=Cherry+Veneer