M. Ward [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : M. Ward

dean_martin
09-14-2006, 02:22 PM
saw a re-run of an Austin City Limits 30/30 show the other night with Wilco and Bright Eyes. I think it was from '05. Besides the awesome Jazzmaster guitar tones from Wilco, my favorite spots were M. Ward joining Bright Eyes for M. Ward's "O'Brien" and Jim James coming on to join them in My Morning Jacket's "Golden".

I see M. Ward has a relatively new album out called Post-War that may have already popped up in a Tuesday or What's Spinning post. Any good? I'm thinking about ordering it on vinyl along with MMJ's It's Still Moving.

Can't find M. Ward's earlier stuff on vinyl, but 3 cds are out there for the takin' - End of Amnesia which has the previously mentioned "O'Brien" on it, Transistor Radio and Transfiguration of Vincent. Which one should I check out first?

tentoze
09-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Transfiguration of Vincent would be my 1st choice, Transistor Radio 2nd. Been listening to Transistor Radio the last week or so- it never floored me as a whole, but it's got some great tunes on it.

dean_martin
09-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Transfiguration of Vincent would be my 1st choice, Transistor Radio 2nd. Been listening to Transistor Radio the last week or so- it never floored me as a whole, but it's got some great tunes on it.

Thanks, tentoze. I really, really liked the version of O'Brien that I heard on ACL, but I don't think End of Amnesia is his strongest album. Did a little research and it seems that Trans. of Vincent and Trans. Radio (wow, is that coincedence?) are about equally regarded so a little more insight was needed.

Hey, you kinda close to the Ala/Fla line? I'm just on the Ala. side.

tentoze
09-15-2006, 06:50 AM
I'm in Jax, when I'm not on a plane to somewhere else.

Stone
09-15-2006, 07:10 AM
I see M. Ward has a relatively new album out called Post-War that may have already popped up in a Tuesday or What's Spinning post. Any good?

It's excellent, but I can't compare it to his other albums because I haven't heard them.

Slosh
09-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Hey toze,

Off topic but I download your Guy Clark Workbench Songs feed and am five songs into it so far. Me likey. Never used RAR before but it took me all of maybe two minutes to Google and download a RAR extractor (went with 7-Zip just 'cause it was the first one Google turned up) and to extract the mp3s.

Muchos thankos!

dean_martin
09-15-2006, 08:20 AM
It's excellent, but I can't compare it to his other albums because I haven't heard them.

Thanks, Stone. I'm planning to order the LP soon.

tentoze
09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Hey toze,

Off topic but I download your Guy Clark Workbench Songs feed and am five songs into it so far. Me likey. Never used RAR before but it took me all of maybe two minutes to Google and download a RAR extractor (went with 7-Zip just 'cause it was the first one Google turned up) and to extract the mp3s.

Muchos thankos!

My pre-ordered copy came today, with an autographed insert. Another gem from a master.

Swish
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
saw a re-run of an Austin City Limits 30/30 show the other night with Wilco and Bright Eyes. I think it was from '05. Besides the awesome Jazzmaster guitar tones from Wilco, my favorite spots were M. Ward joining Bright Eyes for M. Ward's "O'Brien" and Jim James coming on to join them in My Morning Jacket's "Golden".

I see M. Ward has a relatively new album out called Post-War that may have already popped up in a Tuesday or What's Spinning post. Any good? I'm thinking about ordering it on vinyl along with MMJ's It's Still Moving.

Can't find M. Ward's earlier stuff on vinyl, but 3 cds are out there for the takin' - End of Amnesia which has the previously mentioned "O'Brien" on it, Transistor Radio and Transfiguration of Vincent. Which one should I check out first?

I was flipping thru my hi-def channels and caught nearly the whole thing by sheer luck. I thought Wilco was awesome with their new line up, but I didn't care for Bright Eyes. His vibrato vocals amd lyrics strike me as pretentious. Just not my thing. I do like M. Ward and My Morning Jacket...except their last one, titled "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz". :Yawn:

Swish