Dvi -> Hdmi? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dvi -> Hdmi?

ronning
09-14-2006, 12:05 PM
In purchasing a new 1080p lcd tv, i want to make sure I can easily connect my computer to it, and at full 1920x1080 resolution. My video card easily handles that resolution, and has DVI and D-Sub RGB output.

I'd rather use the DVI as its a digital signal and produces better image quality (as I've noticed by switching between them on my 19" lcd display).

A lot (most) of the new LCD sets, however, only have HDMI input (no DVI). Can I just buy a simple adapter or cable that will take a DVI input on one end and spit out a clean signal via HDMI on the other?

edtyct
09-14-2006, 12:12 PM
DVI and HDMI are compatible in the way that you describe. But make sure that the lead from your video card is DVI-D; DVI-A won't mate with HDMI.

ronning
09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
DVI and HDMI are compatible in the way that you describe. But make sure that the lead from your video card is DVI-D; DVI-A won't mate with HDMI.

what is the difference? Is dvi-d digital and dvi-a analog? If so, then it is definitely digital because my LCD monitor shows the input from the card's dvi output as "digital, 60hz"

edtyct
09-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Right, the difference is digital and analog; you should be good to go. The only remaining question is the matter of overscan when you send data to the LCD from your computer. But you may be fine, whether or not adjustment is possible.

GTF
09-15-2006, 06:16 AM
This company sells what your looking for without all the cable hype and prices.
I use the same cable your looking for.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html

GTF

bappy
10-17-2006, 12:12 AM
This company sells what your looking for without all the cable hype and prices.
I use the same cable your looking for.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html

GTF

This help me a lot and can you help me little further. I have a Benq W100 Projector which has a DVI D and alos DVI A connection and also use a bose Lifestyle System for Audio . Now if I buy a HD DVD Player with HDMI output then how would hook it up with my projector and my Bose life style for sound. As HDMI transfer bot Picture and sound but if it is does the I do not need sound goes to my projector, rihgt. I need the sound goes to my Home Theater(Bose). Pls explain and I would be thankfull for ever.

rgds,
bappy

bfalls
10-17-2006, 07:39 AM
You may have trouble using a DVI to HDMI cable with Blu-ray or HD-DVD because of compatability with AACS copy protection. At work we have a computer with Blu-ray drive and we weren't able to get HD throught the DVI/HDMI coversion cable. HDMI is compatible, but DVI isn't. I'm not sure if it holds true for HD-DVD/Blu-ray players with full hardware and software. You may want to check this out before putting out the big bucks.

edtyct
10-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi bfalls,

Firmware update 2.0 for the HD DVD players corrects at least some of the HDMI handshake problems that have been reported. I have connected the Toshiba player via HDMI to a DVI display without a problem. Make sure, however, that the display is running and switched to the appropriate digital input before the player is turned on. I'm not sure what was happening with the Blu-ray connection, but no DVI sink that predates HDCP will work with any HDMI source.

Ed