Subwoofer Isolation? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Isolation?

Hyfi
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Has anyone experimented with isolating / decoupling their Sub from the floor? I have found with my main speakers, spiking and placing them on slabs of granite/flagstone that bass became less boomy and more detailed. Any comments from those who have tried this with their Subs?

nightflier
09-13-2006, 05:16 PM
This audible effect will work with subs as well, although if yours is down-firing, it will be a lot harder to do effectively. All my speakers are spiked and on slabs of tile and it tightens the sound up considerably. I've done this with several subs I have auditioned and found the bass to tighten as well - the last one was a Klipsch sub. My current sub, and SVS cylinder sub, has a built-in base plate, so isolation is not an easy option.

jrhymeammo
09-14-2006, 08:13 AM
I rest my sub on top of 3 rubber slabs that are about 3" thick each. So overall my sub sits about 10" above my floor. You CDP may benefit more in your system than others. The main reason for my setup was to reduce external vibration for my TT setup. I'm not sure if isoloation of sub will better your SQ itself, but since my TT operates with less external vibration overall sound became much tighter including bass. Since your sub is down-firing, isolation by brass cones under extra base might help you. I dont think CDP will benefit as much as TTs, but since CDPs have moving parts it should help. Being able to hear the diiference wound be minimal, as it was for my case w/ CDP.

Just try it out. It shouldnt cost more than $30. Here is the link http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=TT&cart_id=%25%CArt_id%25%25
I'm sure some members are getting sick of seeing this link, but I dont care. Try 4 brass adj. cones and get a stiff wooden board bigger than your sub's footprint. Rest your sub on top of the board. It should work alot better than just your sub on your floor. You could just rest your sub on top of cones, but I find that to be extremely hard. balancing cones under a single board is ALOT easier.