One-Way Speakers ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : One-Way Speakers !

Mark of Cenla
09-13-2006, 02:11 PM
We have a Sony micro stereo with Philips speakers in our kitchen. They only have one driver in each box, but there is something very pleasing to me about how they sound. So I built a pair of speakers with 4.5" full-range drivers (70-15,000 hz) that I bought from Parts Express. I am driving them with a Philips micro system. I am really digging how they sound. I can hear all of the instruments clearly.

I am thinking about making some tower speakers with two 8" full-range drivers each to use in the living room for the video system.

Am I nuts or what?

Peace.

PHiX
09-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Probably got some nuts stuffed into your ears?? ;)

audio_dude
09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
LOL, nice, i like one ways too!

Dusty Chalk
09-13-2006, 02:57 PM
I am thinking about making some tower speakers with two 8" full-range drivers each to use in the living room for the video system.Be careful about how you space those -- it makes a difference. You can't just put multiple full-range drivers in a cabinet and expect it to work.

Although, if you do, please let me know, as I've been tempted to do similarly.

The problem is excursion, innit? Multiple drivers should take care of that, but designing speakers for multiple drivers inherits its own set of potential foibles as well.

markw
09-13-2006, 03:10 PM
As the speaker get larger, treble dispersion tends to decrease. But, depending on the appplication and your expectations, YMMV.

Lowther puts out full range speakers that many people swear by.

Mark of Cenla
09-14-2006, 06:44 AM
I was thinking of putting two drivers in each cabinet due to power handling issues. My power amp is an Audio Source AMP1/A, which is 80 watts per side. I tend to crank it up for movies, and I am afraid of blowing a driver that can only handle 30 watts. This is all in the very early planning stages. I will certainly look around more for drivers. Peace.

basite
09-14-2006, 06:58 AM
one way speakers don't sound bad, if you have good ones, otherwise they will be crap, it's just more mid-range tones and bases.

JohnMichael
09-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Fostex makes several nice full range drivers and I think they are available at www.madisound.com. They have good power handling. As several have suggested be careful with too large a driver as you will lose high frequency dispersion over a wide area. A loudspeaker without a crossover will be much more efficient so it will take much less power to give you the volume you want so a lower wattage rating may not be a problem.

dean_martin
09-14-2006, 07:31 AM
that's cool. I'd like to pick up a pair of used Omegas or similar single driver speakers to try with the Sonic Impact T-amp. Unfortunately, I haven't developed the requisite skills to build my own. that would be the best way to go, imo.

Mark of Cenla
09-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Those Lowther drivers look very impressive, but they are way beyond my budget. Some of the Fostex drivers look good. I have a while to ponder all this. Thanks again. Peace.:16:

Mark of Cenla
09-16-2006, 12:51 PM
I orginally planned for the one-way speakers that I made to be an upgrade for micro system speakers. But I connected them to my JVC RX-319 receiver with my TEAC CD recorder, and it sounds pretty good. So I may build a better pair using Fostex drivers, probably 6". :16: Peace.

Mark of Cenla
09-16-2006, 12:55 PM
I orginally planned for the one-way speakers that I made to be an upgrade for micro system speakers. But I connected them to my JVC RX-319 receiver with my TEAC CD recorder, and it sounds pretty good. So I may build a better pair using Fostex drivers, probably 6". I should add that 90% of my listening to that system is near-field listening, just about two feet away.

Peace. :16:

audio_dude
09-16-2006, 04:41 PM
yay, way to go with the DIY, and if it sounds great, you can show it off to all your friends!

oh, if they're small boxes, use a nice high layer cound plywood (thin layers, but lots of them, high strenghth and great look!

audio_dude
09-16-2006, 04:41 PM
yay, way to go with the DIY, and if it sounds great, you can show it off to all your friends!

oh, if they're small boxes, use a nice high layer cound plywood (thin layers, but lots of them, high strenghth and great look!

BackinHi_Fi
09-16-2006, 09:35 PM
You encountered good performance with a 4,5 If you want to increase the bass response then increase the number of drivers perhaps three or four. This theoretically solves two problems first the smaller drivers as it was pointed before will handle high and mid frequencies with more ease, Second when combining multiple drivers speaker area is multiplied which equates to extra air movement which in turns means better bass response. Supposedly to 6.5's in tandem roughly can equate the air movement of a 10" but with the advantage of being more nimble during transients and therefore a bit more efficient. I never experimented with this theory in home speakers but I used it in car audio with very good results. You must be careful though that your amp is able to handle the load.

Mark of Cenla
01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
The tower speakers that I mentionned in the original post are old Boston Acoustic T1000 cabinets. I put an 8" woofer in the bottom of both and have been using them as a subwoofer system. I tried them out with the little fullrange speakers I made, and it sounded great. However, the 4.5 Pioneer fullrange speakers cannot handle much power, and I would blow them up when watching DVDs.

So here is my plan. I am going to cover up all but the bottom speaker holes with wood. The bottom holes will continue to hold the 8" subwoofers. I will then make the front into the back and vice versa. On what is now the back, I am going to install a Goldwood 8" fullrange speaker, which will be driven with a different reciever than the subs. So the subs will face the back, and the fullrange will face the front, each driven with a different receiver. I ordered the parts yesterday, and I am anxious the hear them. Peace.

:16:

Mark of Cenla
04-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, I did it, and with the help of an equalizer, I really like how it sounds. The front 8" full-range speakers sound good on their own without the rear-firing subs. But adding the subs gives the whole thing more "presence". There is no crossover in the system at all, just the EQ and the two receivers. It is very open, detailed, and full. Peace.