new HT receiver, or amp/pre-amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new HT receiver, or amp/pre-amp?

ronning
09-13-2006, 07:37 AM
What I have: Yamaha HTR-5760 110x7 7.1 channel receiver - I love it, although it's kind of black and ugly (and *might* be a tad weak if I buy a set of Martin Logans...)

What I want:

I realized I don't care about 7.1 surround sound - those extra 2 channels never get used (more speakers, more wire, more space... just not worth it). I'd rather just have more power driving 5 speakers than 7. Clean, clear 5 channel amplification is what I want.

I'm starting to enter the world of HD, and this receiver doesn't support HDMI or DVI and it has no component video switching. If I could have my wish, I'd have a device with a bazillion inputs (composite, s-video, component, dvi, etc, etc) that all feeds into 1 HDMI cable running to my flat panel display.

I *don't* want 17 electronic boxes to make this all happen - 1 or 2 max.

I like the digital sound-field programming in the Yammie, but have discovered I really only use 3 or 4 sound fields: Direct Stereo, 7-channel (5-channel) stereo (for parties), "adventure / sci-fi movie" mode, and PLII mode for games (although I imagine games becoming more and more 5.1)

My Yamaha cost $400 on sale - I'd like to keep my replacement purchase to under $1k

I know this is silly (I'm a designer, what can I say), but aesthetically I think the big black boxes are ugly (at the time, Yamaha only sold their higher-end receivers in black - not silver)

Suggestions????

elapsed
09-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Here would be my top 3 HT receiver picks under $1,000:

Denon AVR-3806
Yamaha RX-V2600
Outlaw 1070

But if you can stretch your budget just a little bit, you may want to audition the Rotel RSX-1057, which is aesthetically gorgeous, not to mention a phenominal receiver . :)

paul_pci
09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
This is what I would suggest; if you have good reason to think your speakers are being underpowered, not living up to their potential, then begin with a 3 or 5-channel amp, assuming that your Yamaha has preouts to add an amp. Then, once the specs, production, and bugs have been worked out in hdmi 1.3 hardware, like av receivers, purchase the one that seems to best fit your needs. And if you don't want a big black box consider non-mass market receivers from Rotel, Arcam, Cambrige Audio, Nad, Parasound, or B&K.

ronning
09-14-2006, 05:22 PM
That Rotel looks awesome, *and* has HDMI switching...! Too bad it doesn't have a DVI input (although a dvi-hdmi adapter is easy to do).

Hmmm..... tempting!

BTW, amplifier-wise, what's the difference between the Rotel's 75wpc and my Yammie's 110wpc?

elapsed
09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
The RSX-1057 offers 75 watts x 5 channels, all channels driven. This model can be expanded to full 7.1 by adding a two-channel amplifer. These numbers are not inflated.

On the other hand, the Yamaha wattage isn't measured with all channels driven. The numbers were likely measured with only two channels driven. I'd be surprised if the Yamaha puts out more than 65 watts per channel with all channels driven.

Hands down the Rotel is a far superior receiver, your ears won't lie. But the Yamaha RX-V1600 is a very capable receiver on its own right, and definately an excellent choice.

paul_pci
09-14-2006, 07:50 PM
That Rotel looks awesome, *and* has HDMI switching...! Too bad it doesn't have a DVI input (although a dvi-hdmi adapter is easy to do).

Hmmm..... tempting!

BTW, amplifier-wise, what's the difference between the Rotel's 75wpc and my Yammie's 110wpc?

In general with something like Rotel you'll get better quality components, honest wattage, and less bells and whistles. So you need to decide if the Rotel has all the features that you will need.

ronning
09-15-2006, 09:46 AM
In general with something like Rotel you'll get better quality components, honest wattage, and less bells and whistles. So you need to decide if the Rotel has all the features that you will need.

I barely use 1/4 of the features on the Yamaha.

My only concern is the HDMI 1.1 spec on the Rotel. I'm thinking I should wait a few months for when they release a 1.3 spec.

paul_pci
09-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I barely use 1/4 of the features on the Yamaha.

My only concern is the HDMI 1.1 spec on the Rotel. I'm thinking I should wait a few months for when they release a 1.3 spec.

I think that's the genderal consensus if you're on a budget and looking for a long term purchase. And it may be more than a few months. You can ask your local dealer what the expectation is for something like Rotel to integrate that hardware and see if you're up for the wait.

jrhymeammo
09-15-2006, 12:10 PM
I own Rotel RSX-972 and was extremely happy with it. I'm just not interested in HT anymore so I'm trying to sell it. But with what you are looking for, 972 will not work in two ways,
For one, it doesnt have HDMI or DVI in/outputs you are seeking.
Secondly, I agree that Rotel's 75watts sounds much fuller and beefer than most of 100+ watt per channel receivers I auditioned at the time. Also most of Rotels can handle with speakers with lower than 4ohm impendance. But if you are considering to purchase ML, you would need at least RSX 1067(100w). I dont think 1067 will handle HDMI/DVI anyways.
I cannot comment on any mullty-channel pre amp but pre-pro(200+watts at 8ohms and can handle down to 2 ohms w/o shutting off) would be best route for you to take.
Also, best way for you might be to just plug HDMI/DVI straight into your monitors. From what I've experienced in past, receivers' video switching just alter picture quality.