Sound and Light Show ( son et lumiere ) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound and Light Show ( son et lumiere )

lucknowm
09-12-2006, 07:48 AM
I am a newbie.

I am planning a son et lumiere ( sound and light show ) for an upcoming party.

Basically, I need to place 4-5 speaker in different parts of a 150-person party hall.

The input to these speakers will be controlled from a CD or MP3 player.

- what would be specifications of speakers ?
- can I use speakers from old cassette players ?
- what kind of audio console would be required ?

abe kuo

basite
09-12-2006, 10:38 AM
I am a newbie.

- what would be specifications of speakers ?
- can I use speakers from old cassette players ?
- what kind of audio console would be required ?

abe kuo

-What is your budget? How big is your room? what are you going to use to run them?
-define 'cassete players'
-audio console, what in gods name is that?

oh yea, what does 'abe kuo' mean?

basite
09-12-2006, 10:39 AM
if that sounded rude, excuse me, it wasn't the meaning.

lucknowm
09-12-2006, 10:48 AM
It's ok. I did not took offense. I know how it feels when a clueless newbie asks questions

>>>> What is your budget?
Less than $200.

How big is your room? what are you going to use to run them?
>>> about 5000 sq. ft.

I plan on using CD/MP3 players to run them. As long as sound from each speaker can be heard upto 10-15 feet, I'm ok.

>>>> those old fashioned 2-in-1 or 'tape recorders'. Perhaps portable CD-players will work too.

>>>> the "thing" with sliders used in recording studios. But I guess that will be too expensive for me.

>>>> my nickname.

lucknowm
09-12-2006, 11:40 AM
It's ok. I did not took offense. I know how it feels when a clueless newbie asks questions

>>>> What is your budget?
Less than $200.

How big is your room? what are you going to use to run them?
>>> about 5000 sq. ft.

I plan on using CD/MP3 players to run them. As long as sound from each speaker can be heard upto 10-15 feet, I'm ok.

>>>> those old fashioned 2-in-1 or 'tape recorders'. Perhaps portable CD-players will work too.

>>>> the "thing" with sliders used in recording studios. But I guess that will be too expensive for me.

>>>> my nickname.

any insights ?

Dusty Chalk
09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
- what would be specifications of speakers ?Probably the most important thing is power handling, as they will need to go pretty loud. You may want to look at Mackie's SA1232 if you have a large budget (this might be overkill for one scenario), or SRM450's if you have a smaller budget.
- can I use speakers from old cassette players ?No.
- what kind of audio console would be required ?A simple DJ desk should be sufficient, if even that. I'm presuming the they will be run in stereo since you mentioned MP3 sources. Look at these (http://www.musiciansbuy.com/live_sound_pa_system_packages_mackie.html) to get you started with ideas -- in most cases, the mixers are complete overkill for what you're going to use them for, and you'll be needing more speakers.

If this is a one-time gig, seriously consider renting instead of purchasing.

basite
09-13-2006, 03:37 AM
hmm, the $200 bothers me the most, if it's a one time gig, (as sead by scheiBfabrik), you should seriously consider renting, cuz buying equipment for a gig is quite expensive, also, you can try your pc instead of the mp3 player or the cd player, and you can also look at the ev (electrovoice) speakers, they're quite good and will go really loud (of course).
but still, remember, renting it would be the way to go.

nightflier
09-13-2006, 11:03 AM
You could also hire a DJ, especially for a one-time gig - s/he will know how to configure the sound optimally for your room. Since you'll be playing your own music, the DJ won't have to bring their own so they'll probably charge less.