Maggie MMG [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Maggie MMG

Bingo
09-12-2006, 07:13 AM
I recently signed up for the audio review forums and am uninitiated....I'm also 82 years old and not really very knowledgeable about audio gear. I don't care anything about HOME Theater - surround sound and all - but I love Classical music and have a fairly decent TWO Channel system. I'm awaiting the SB12 Plus - which is SVS' latest small subwoofer...my two Jas Audio Orsa speakers are small monitors and lack a bit in the low end, but the midrange and tweeter do quite well. I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has similar interests. I do own a pair of Magnepan MMGs....they are used beside my TV set for television sound but I do not go the whole route with multiple speakers...these do well enough for my old ears.
I read on this site that the MMG is one of the most popular items in audio.....I find them very good but I did replace the MMGs in my stereo system with the Orsas. The Orsa speaker has an LCY ribbon tweeter and does a marvelous job with stringed instruments.

topspeed
09-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Welcome to the forums, Bingo!

I'd suggest you pm (private message) Geoffcin, a moderator on the site, as he has experience not only with the Orsa's but also employs Maggie 3.6's in his main rig. For classical music at a reasonable price, MMG's are tough to beat IMO, especially with your new SVS to fill in the lower octaves. However, I have never heard the Orsa's and so far, I admit to preferring dynamic speakers over panels for what I listen to (rock, jazz, blues, swing).

basite
09-12-2006, 09:25 AM
welcome to the forums, i can't help you with your question but i'm sure alot of other people will, anyways, welcome to the forums.

JohnMichael
09-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Welcome to AudioReview. Like you I enjoy a two channel system. I also listen to a lot of classical but always wanting to learn more about music. Rave Recordings is a place you can share ideas about the music you like.

Dusty Chalk
09-12-2006, 12:11 PM
What was the question again? Sounds like you're off to a kickin' start -- Maggies and Jas Audio Orsas. I've heard neither, but I've read glowing reviews of both. Made me drool.

JoeE SP9
09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
At $500 a pair MMG's are affordable by almost anyone. Couple them with a decent sub woofer and within the bounds of their SPL levels they KICK BUTT!!!:ihih:

Bingo, Although I have full surround capability my main thing is 2 channel stereo. Most of my recordings are 2 channel and I play them the way they were recorded and mastered. I'm primarily into Jazz but I have a fairly decent selection of classical.

Bingo
09-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Not being used to this I think I just messed up in trying to thank all of those who responded to my first message. I was saying that I am presently looking foward to receiving my SB12Plus subwoofer to add a bottom end to my Orsas. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that so many of you have MMGs... I still enjoy mine. When I have something to report when I get the sub, I will be putting something here for all of you to read. Its nice to follow up on stuff. I had typed a message prior to this, but something went amiss and it got lost in cyberspace, I hope this one makes it!

Bingo

dean_martin
09-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Not being used to this I think I just messed up in trying to thank all of those who responded to my first message. I was saying that I am presently looking foward to receiving my SB12Plus subwoofer to add a bottom end to my Orsas. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that so many of you have MMGs... I still enjoy mine. When I have something to report when I get the sub, I will be putting something here for all of you to read. Its nice to follow up on stuff. I had typed a message prior to this, but something went amiss and it got lost in cyberspace, I hope this one makes it!

Bingo

You're comin' in loud and clear. Which amp are you using with each speaker? Have you got tubes anywhere?

I did a little checking up on the JAS Orsas. Audio gear from China/Hong Kong keeps getting better and better. Congrats!

Bingo
09-16-2006, 07:52 AM
My amplifier is an NAD C370 - and I only use one amp - I'm too old (82) to bear the frustration of switching out tubes etc. At my age if you have more than one thing to do in a day, it is one thing too many. One reason why I purchased the Chinese speakers, Orsas, is that it has a unique tweeter - its a twin ribbon tweeter (LCY something) that goes all the way up to 60k....I don't know why that is supposed to be good, but I understand that some people use supertweeters and get better bass..??? That's above my head too. I'm looking forward to the delivery of my sub, because if it turns out to be as good in the low end as the Orsas are in the high end, I think I ought to be pretty satisfied. Part of this hobby is a gamble as you know. Any more questions?

Bingo

JoeE SP9
09-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Hi Bingo. I took a look at the JAS web site. Those Orsas are gorgeous. Do they look as good in the flesh as they do in the picture?:cool:

Grandpaw
09-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Below is a picture of one of Bingo's speakers I took when I was at his house. And I can tell you they have a flawless finish.

Pictures DON'T do them justice. You have to see them to appreciate the finish. They have 14 coats of lacquer on them and they really shine, Jeff

Bingo
09-17-2006, 05:45 AM
I hope that JOE E SP 9 SEES this...Grandpaw is trying to show me the ropes on Audio review, and I'm not that good a pupil because I still am not sure I am responding in the correct way....but I thank Grandpa for sending you a picture of one of my Orsas..did I tell you I got TWO of them? (jes kiddin).... The finish, as Grandpa says, is superb! Now that word superb will make Grandpa happy -- we have an 'inside joke' on that word. The truth is the finish on these Orsas is so very fine that even if they didn't play music they'd be nice to have around as art objects!! Glad you asked.

Bingo

bobsticks
09-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Very nice indeed, Bingo...and since I hadn't said it earlier, welcome to the forum!

Cheers

Bingo
09-18-2006, 07:15 AM
:23: I'm anticipatin'...waiting for my SB12 plus so I can hook it up to my two Orsas and see what kind of music comes out. If anyone who reads this has any good advice to offer when connecting a sub to two monitors (strictly 2 channel system) please do let me know. Grandpa has offered to come over and guide me through the adjustment phase, and I'm sure that with his help I won't have any problem...but somebody might have discovered something worth while in this kind of connection...so have a go at it if you have and let me know how to improve on improvements.

dean_martin
09-18-2006, 09:24 AM
My amplifier is an NAD C370 - and I only use one amp - I'm too old (82) to bear the frustration of switching out tubes etc. At my age if you have more than one thing to do in a day, it is one thing too many. One reason why I purchased the Chinese speakers, Orsas, is that it has a unique tweeter - its a twin ribbon tweeter (LCY something) that goes all the way up to 60k....I don't know why that is supposed to be good, but I understand that some people use supertweeters and get better bass..??? That's above my head too. I'm looking forward to the delivery of my sub, because if it turns out to be as good in the low end as the Orsas are in the high end, I think I ought to be pretty satisfied. Part of this hobby is a gamble as you know. Any more questions?

Bingo

I'm not sure what the benefit of going up to 60kHz is, but I've read some claims that high frequency extension above what humans can actually hear can impact ambience and spaciousness. For example, such high frequencies may bolster the sound characteristics of the venue of the recording.

You and Grandpaw keep rockin' and let us know how that sub works out!

Bernd
09-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Bingo and welcome to the forum.
2 Channel over here too. Orsa make indeed a very fine speaker. Had the good fortune to listen to the Plato last weekend and the standmounts you have. Fine sound and fantastic finish. Looking forward to read some musical tips in Rave Recordings.

Peace

Bernd:21:

Dusty Chalk
09-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Fourteen?!?!? That's twice as many as the Quads, and the Quads are gorgeous. :drool:

JoeE SP9
09-19-2006, 12:40 AM
I hope that JOE E SP 9 SEES this...Grandpaw is trying to show me the ropes on Audio review, and I'm not that good a pupil because I still am not sure I am responding in the correct way....but I thank Grandpa for sending you a picture of one of my Orsas..did I tell you I got TWO of them? (jes kiddin).... The finish, as Grandpa says, is superb! Now that word superb will make Grandpa happy -- we have an 'inside joke' on that word. The truth is the finish on these Orsas is so very fine that even if they didn't play music they'd be nice to have around as art objects!! Glad you asked.

Bingo

Only two!? The picture looks gorgeous. Even so, I don't think a picture does them justice. Don't feel embarrassed about posting. The last time I tried to post some pictures it didn't work. Stop worrying, there is no absolute correct way to respond. English or "American" will generally get the point over. Even spelling isn't that important. I use a spell checker as my spelling is atrocious.:cool: