Speaker Repair Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Repair Help

charlierizzle
09-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Hi I need urgent help!!!
I run a music night at uni and have 9 speakers - 5 of which aren't currently working! I don't know how to work out what's wrong with them though! Someone's told me that it could be a fuse, although there don't seem to be fuses in any of the speakers, probably because they all run off the PA power. Therefore I suppose it could only be the cones? Are these easy to replace?
Broken speakers:
McGregor with a 15" 200W Cone
2x McGregor with a 12" 250W Cone and a tweeter <= no sound comes out of these speakers at all. Is the only possibility that all parts are broken?
2x Unnamed speaker with 18" Cone => both of these stopped working after someone turned the power off in the wrong order- does this help work out what's wrong?!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

CharlieRizzle

noddin0ff
09-11-2006, 07:44 AM
It seems unlikely that 5 speakers would go simulaneously. Perhaps it is a problem with the amplifier. You may have blown a fuse in the amp. Check connections.

You can contact McGregor by visiting their website.
http://mcgregoramplification.co.uk/5.html

get model #'s and serial numbers from speakers etc first.

Also, if you give model numbers on this forum and describe how they are set up, someone knowledgable might be better able to help you.

BRANDONH
09-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi I need urgent help!!!
I run a music night at uni and have 9 speakers - 5 of which aren't currently working! I don't know how to work out what's wrong with them though! Someone's told me that it could be a fuse, although there don't seem to be fuses in any of the speakers, probably because they all run off the PA power. Therefore I suppose it could only be the cones? Are these easy to replace?
Broken speakers:
McGregor with a 15" 200W Cone
2x McGregor with a 12" 250W Cone and a tweeter <= no sound comes out of these speakers at all. Is the only possibility that all parts are broken?
2x Unnamed speaker with 18" Cone => both of these stopped working after someone turned the power off in the wrong order- does this help work out what's wrong?!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

CharlieRizzle
Do the speaker cabinets have passive crossovers built in?
Sometimes the crossovers fail and would have be tested to see if they are the problem.
One way is to remove the drivers and test each one by just running the speaker wire to each to see if they play at all under low volume if the all play then it is a crossover if they dont play then its the drivers.

If it is the drivers I have a couple of sites I can recommend and have purchased from both but dont think they cary that brand though but are professional grade replacements.

If you need or want to replace the crossovers then I can recommend someone in California that custom build them.
They made mine and I love them and I have run 2000 + watts through them and they have never failed.

This will obviously be an on going thread until you have run some test.

bfalls
09-11-2006, 12:29 PM
When troubleshooting it's best to start with what you know is working. Have you tried connecting the questionable speakers to a cable from a good speaker? This should tell you if the speaker you're testing is bad. If any speakers check good, the problem is with either its amp channel or cable. If the speaker is bad the problem is definitely the speaker, but can also have either a bad amp, or cable as well.