Has anyone heard of Crazy Frog? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of Crazy Frog?

ForeverAutumn
09-10-2006, 12:54 PM
We were wandering around the Canadian National Exibition (CNE) on Labour Day weekend. The CNE is a basically an enormous fair that runs for the last three weeks of August. It's a Toronto tradition that's over 100 years old. Anyway, the popular prize at the games was this really ugly stuffed thing that we had never seen before. It seemed to be pretty popular with the little kids however.

So I'm walking through HMV yesterday, picking up a few CDs (to be reviewed at a later date), when I see this Crazy Frog CD at a listening station. I couldn't resist and had to give it a spin. It's like dance music for kids. The CD is made up of cover songs that have been re-arranged. Queen's We Are the Champions was one of the songs. It starts off with good rock voices singing, then it goes into this kind of hip hop tangent, but then the music comes in sounding like a marching band. Hard to explain, but fun to listen to. From what I heard of the CD, the arrangements were very well done and not nearly as annoying as I expected them to be.

Apparently this is the second or third Crazy Frog CD. If you have kids, you may want to check this out. Probably not your cup of tea, but I bet your kids would have fun with it.

MindGoneHaywire
09-10-2006, 01:03 PM
I think it's a celebration of ringtones for children's cellphones as much as anything else. I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously by anybody so far as 'music' goes, it's pretty much all about the ringtones.

That's a trend that is likely to increase as time goes on.

Dusty Chalk
09-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Eschew! Eschew! Argh! He is the new Barney.

If you're going to listen to kids' music, I have to put a plug in for my favourite, the Backyardigans. They have two CDs out.

Stone
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
If you're going to listen to kids' music, I have to put a plug in for my favourite, the Backyardigans. They have two CDs out.

Never heard of them, but I do really like the They Might Be Giants kids stuff. And the DEV2.O project really wasn't all that bad (especially since Devo members were playing the instruments).

basite
12-13-2006, 12:52 PM
sorry to dig up a reasonably old thread,
but, as an european (the place where the annoying frog seems to be somekind of a hype) i obviously know something about it,
it's the promotion figure for ringtones, about 4 months ago it released a cd ( ...!... ) which includes all the crazy frog 'tunes' which is actually one 'tune', based on the ringtone, and all the rest of the 'tunes' are just variations on the 'tune' now it's kindof past, but i saw a new one coming up some days ago...

and for those drunk teens out there they even made a hardstyle/jumpstuyle (dunno or that is known in the usa) but it's basically some dumb repeating 'melody' (read variations on different tones) and then an endless bass loop, without variation, the 'tunes' are preferably played on parties thru crappy speakers, in 32kbps mp3 files...

the teens even seem to dance on it, but i see that more see that 'dance' as a series of spastic movements generated in a moment of total drunkness...

stupid drunk teens.