Adjusting VTA for the first time. Help Plz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting VTA for the first time. Help Plz

jrhymeammo
09-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi guys, I've carefully installed my new cartridge 2 days ago (thank goodness for the stylus guard), and I need to adjust my VTA on my Pro-Ject Xpression1. End of the tonearm is raised a bit higher than base/pivot area. I just noticed this 5 minutes ago. This means I will not be playing records until fixed :( . I've never done this to any of my previous tables before since I really didnt need to.
I understand that most of tonearm configuration is differen. But ff possible, I would love to hear some advice on what to lookout for. Please share your past expereince with this process.
This would help me/stylus/records so much.
For the love of Analoge, PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks again.

-JRA

JohnMichael
09-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi guys, I've carefully installed my new cartridge 2 days ago (thank goodness for the stylus guard), and I need to adjust my VTA on my Pro-Ject Xpression1. End of the tonearm is raised a bit higher than base/pivot area. I just noticed this 5 minutes ago. This means I will not be playing records until fixed :( . I've never done this to any of my previous tables before since I really didnt need to.
I understand that most of tonearm configuration is differen. But ff possible, I would love to hear some advice on what to lookout for. Please share your past expereince with this process.
This would help me/stylus/records so much.
For the love of Analoge, PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks again.

-JRA

A good starting point is to have the tonearm parallel with the record. When you choose a record to set VTA choose an average record. Do not pick the thickest audiophile pressing or the thinnest mass produced vinyl. Once you have the tonearm with cartridge parallel listen to the record. If the tonearm pivot is too high for the cartridge you will hear some high frequency breakup. Most advise that a little lower than parrallel works best. Of course once you raise or lower the tonearm you should recheck cartridge overhang as it will change.

jrhymeammo
09-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi JayMike,

Thanks for your post. I took out thinnest/medium/thickest records I own. I'll say it is adjust more for SLIGHTLY higher than medium records, since I reallly treasure my thicker albums. I really dont care much for Dynaflex records anyways, but to make sure I dont neglect them, I should buy a thicker mat just for some thinner records I own.

I couldn't believe how easy that was. What a disaster that would've been if I didnt notice my tonearm angle. I ended up raising about 5mm.

For the sound. WOWWWWWW!!!!!!! I'm not even going to describe it. Enough fiddling around, I got some great discs to spin. Once again thanks JM.

-JRA

Bernd
09-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Well done. A small change in VTA can make a big difference in sound, as you have found out. Some cartridges are also very sensitive to VTF (Shelter 901). A 1/10 of a gramm can make a difference.
JohnMichael has explained it really well without using any audiophool waffle.
I am using a Ringmat on my TT and when it's time to set VTA, I set it parallel without the mat in situ on a medium thick disc. And whith the mat installed again the VTA selected plays most records to a decent quality.
I found that 90% of Cartridges play their best when you have tail down a couple of degrees.
Enjoy.:5: :4:

Peace

Bernd:16: