Sony Center Speaker Louder Than Klipsch? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony Center Speaker Louder Than Klipsch?

Defshep
09-08-2006, 02:54 PM
So, I'm enjoying my new Klipsch Cinema 6 system that I replaced my larger Sony speakers with. Overall, sound quality seems vastly superior. However, I seem to be having to increase the volume moreso with my Klipsch RCX-3 center than I did with my Sony SSCN550H. The Sony had larger dual midrange woofers, where the Klipsch has one that's considerably smaller. As I said, the overall sound is much more defined. It just seems that the dialogue is getting drowned out, which wasn't a problem with the Sony. Is the only solution to crank up the center's volume? Many thanks in advance. I guess keep in mind that it's still the "break in" period.

paul_pci
09-08-2006, 03:01 PM
That's just the difference in the sensitivity between the speakers. You should get an SPL meter and a test/calibration disk to properly set the levels of your speakers so the dialog doesn't get drowned out.

Defshep
09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks. I did use the auto-calibratrion on my Pioneer receiver, which usually gets good results. I've had to to a little more tweaking this time around. I do have a Sound & Vision test disc I can use.

Grandpaw
09-09-2006, 06:15 AM
I would think anytime you change speakers or anything else the first thing to do would be recalibrate your system. I wouldn't even think twice about what had to be turned up or down because it is the balanced end result your trying to accomplish. I have never had a system that had the auto calibration feature but from some of the posts I have read setting it manually with the Radio Shack meter gives more accurate results.

And in answer to a second option of not turning up the center..... you could always do the obvious and turn down the rest of your speakers. LOL, Jeff

tparker66
09-10-2006, 06:18 AM
That's just the difference in the sensitivity between the speakers. You should get an SPL meter and a test/calibration disk to properly set the levels of your speakers so the dialog doesn't get drowned out.

The Center Channel is intended for Dialogue only You can set the Speaker to roll Bass to front Channel Speakers.

I have the KV4 Center Channel that is the best one Klipsch ever made it weighs about 65 Pounds.If You bought matching Speakers and have a sub I would roll the bass from Center to Sub or the front speakers if they are full range.

Most Center Channels are doing their job If you just hear Voices.I have noticed that the Center Channels are a few db's lower than front speakers.

I didn't like the matched 5 speakers and bought the KV 4 and four large full range CF4's with 2 Carver Amps and a Yamaha 7 channel dolby digital reciever I use ampss in carvers for fronts and rears and use the Yamaha for Center and two other speakers to fill out 7 Speakers.Sounds great.