Bi-Amping questions for HK 525 & 6.1 set-up w/multiroom for 6th channel [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Amping questions for HK 525 & 6.1 set-up w/multiroom for 6th channel

BJG718
09-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Here is the background info. I have a Harman Kardon AVR525 with 6 speakers and 1 sub hooked up to it. The 6th speaker is used in a different room with the multiroom function. So in effect, there is one unused amp in the receiver. The extra speaker in the other room is a Klipsch Rb-35 which is capable of being bi-wired/amped. I am not sure what the technical term is for the little clip that would be used when NOT bi-wiring/amping, but my question is would it be advisable/possible to attach both the surround back left/surround back right wires from the receiver to the speaker WHILE that clip is in place? If I attached the cables while the clip is not in place, then I'd be sending the right channel to the tweeter and left channel to the woofer. If I attached the cables while the clip is in place then I'd theoretically be getting twice the power to both the tweeter and speaker AND both SBL and SBR signals would be fed into a single speaker, but I'm not sure of whether or not this would harm my system in anyway. Thanks guys!
-Brendan

E-Stat
09-08-2006, 02:03 PM
If I attached the cables while the clip is in place then I'd theoretically be getting twice the power to both the tweeter and speaker AND both SBL and SBR signals would be fed into a single speaker, but I'm not sure of whether or not this would harm my system in anyway. Thanks guys!
-Brendan
The "clip" is usually called a jumper. Most amps do not fare well combining their outputs to a common speaker. Some amps can be internally combined in a process called bridging, but I doubt any AV receivers have that feature as it is usually found on PA amps. I'd get a second speaker if I wanted more output or a stereo signal.

rw

poneal
09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
but I could be wrong and I apologize in advance if so. Speakers can be bi-amped, tri-amped, etc. It is usually done for concerts and big events where many speakers are used. The clip that you refer to is normally left on when you do NOT want to biamp. If you want to biamp you take the clip off. This way you can hook up one amp channel to the woofer, one amp channel to the mid, and one amp channel to the woofer. For a stereo setup such as this you would need 6 mono amps or 3 dual channel amps. From the above you can see that each amp channel would have to be set to the appropriate level since you could have different signal levels coming in from the different amps. The same thing goes for active crossovers. For stereo you need six amps for a three way. As you can see if can get expensive fast. For most commercial uses, I would stick with regular wiring.

Paul