Barry Manilow 57, still alive. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Barry Manilow 57, still alive.

Finch Platte
02-04-2004, 12:09 PM
He went to the hospital briefly for chest pains, but he's back home and still with us. :(

fp

mad rhetorik
02-04-2004, 12:20 PM
He went to the hospital briefly for chest pains, but he's back home and still with us. :(

fp

Better luck next time.

MindGoneHaywire
02-04-2004, 12:32 PM
This guy is the biggest wuss I've ever heard of in my life. A couple of days ago there was first a story about him going to the hospital, followed by a story about him returning home & claiming that the chest pains he was suffering--which would seem to have been brought on by the stress he's endured with this legal thing he's involved with--were a result of a 'broken heart.' I went back to his site to find the press release so I could post it.

PALM SPRINGS, Calif., February 2, 2004 / Barry Manilow returned home after a 24 hour stay at Desert Regional Medical Center to treat stress related chest pains.

Manilow was in high fibrillation and rushed to the hospital late Saturday (31). After a series of test and procedures, his heart rate returned to normal and doctors allowed the superstar to return home.

In New York last week, Manilow and co-writer Bruce Sussman spent two days of arbitration in a lawsuit fighting to win back the rights to their original staged musical “Harmony,” from producer Mark Schwartz.

In November 2003, just weeks prior to opening, it was announced that the “Harmony” pre-Broadway run in Philadelphia was canceled – and would not open - due to Schwartz’s severely undercapitalizing the production, falling $6 million short of the show’s $8 million capitalization.

Manilow issued the following statement from his home earlier today: “This is the true definition of heartbreak,” says Manilow. “It literally broke my heart to sit for two days and watch these beautiful people of the creative team testify because of the incompetence of this man who brought down our show,” he says referring to Schwartz.

“My heart was broken, but the doctors put it back together and I will continue to fight.” Manilow said.

Jefferson
02-04-2004, 12:47 PM
This guy is the biggest wuss I've ever heard of in my life. A couple of days ago there was first a story about him going to the hospital, followed by a story about him returning home & claiming that the chest pains he was suffering--which would seem to have been brought on by the stress he's endured with this legal thing he's involved with--were a result of a 'broken heart.' I went back to his site to find the press release so I could post it.

PALM SPRINGS, Calif., February 2, 2004 / Barry Manilow returned home after a 24 hour stay at Desert Regional Medical Center to treat stress related chest pains.

Manilow was in high fibrillation and rushed to the hospital late Saturday (31). After a series of test and procedures, his heart rate returned to normal and doctors allowed the superstar to return home.

In New York last week, Manilow and co-writer Bruce Sussman spent two days of arbitration in a lawsuit fighting to win back the rights to their original staged musical “Harmony,” from producer Mark Schwartz.

In November 2003, just weeks prior to opening, it was announced that the “Harmony” pre-Broadway run in Philadelphia was canceled – and would not open - due to Schwartz’s severely undercapitalizing the production, falling $6 million short of the show’s $8 million capitalization.

Manilow issued the following statement from his home earlier today: “This is the true definition of heartbreak,” says Manilow. “It literally broke my heart to sit for two days and watch these beautiful people of the creative team testify because of the incompetence of this man who brought down our show,” he says referring to Schwartz.

“My heart was broken, but the doctors put it back together and I will continue to fight.” Manilow said.

Good gawd, thats pathetic! Do we know for sure Barry's a guy?

MindGoneHaywire
02-04-2004, 01:46 PM
I would never be sure about an individual who names his beagle 'Bagel.' If he wants to guard his orientation, that's his affair, & that's fine, though I'm not sure why he wouldn't have the guts to come out of the friggin' closet. Like it's such a big deal. If Morrissey was finally willing to admit his homosexuality, why not this guy, if that is indeed the case (duh)? Who the hell cares if the guy is gay?

Also, I want to make it clear that I referred to him as a wuss on the basis of his comments, not because he was hospitalized. I'm not looking to mock someone because of a legitimate medical problem. But to issue a statement like that...geez.

Jefferson
02-04-2004, 02:41 PM
I would never be sure about an individual who names his beagle 'Bagel.' If he wants to guard his orientation, that's his affair, & that's fine, though I'm not sure why he wouldn't have the guts to come out of the friggin' closet. Like it's such a big deal. If Morrissey was finally willing to admit his homosexuality, why not this guy, if that is indeed the case (duh)? Who the hell cares if the guy is gay?

Also, I want to make it clear that I referred to him as a wuss on the basis of his comments, not because he was hospitalized. I'm not looking to mock someone because of a legitimate medical problem. But to issue a statement like that...geez.

One comment on Morrissey, I can't fathom how his coming out could have been difficult. I mean how far into your first Smiths album were you before you came to the conclusion he was gay? His lyrics did the deed for him. Was there some debate about that fact at one time or something?

MindGoneHaywire
02-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Morrissey claimed asexuality for quite some time, though I believe it was at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I don't remember the interviews from the time (mid-80s), but I do remember mentions of things he said in interviews. A lot of them were controversial for some reason; I think it had something to do with the Smiths not exactly fitting into the pop scene in England circa 1983--New Romantic, technopop, Culture Club, etc. Unless I'm mistaken he didn't actually come out in the press until after the Smiths broke up. Again, so far as I'm concerned, who gives a damn? But Morrissey, unlike Manilow, was extremely flamboyant & effeminate...and I suspect Manilow never performed with those flowers hanging out of the back of his pants (or a hearing aid). Nevertheless, unlike Manilow, I like the Smiths.