HDMI issues? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI issues?

aeh10
09-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Hey all,

I recently decided to try something new with my Denon AVR-2807 and my LG LDA-11 DVD player. Instead of running optical and HDMI cables between the two components, I decided to try just the HDMI. I did the proper setup procedures and put in "V for Vendetta", and the worst sound was produced from my speakers. I can only describe it as a dog whistle or a screaching tea kettle that is ready to blow. So....I attempted a different HDMI in on my receiver, same result. Has anybody had the same experience with running just HDMI to their receivers, and what is a possible solution to this problem???

edtyct
09-07-2006, 12:17 PM
It may be that your receiver doesn't support audio through HDMI (as many HDMI-switching receivers don't), or at least not audio that you'd like to hear. Are you sure that the Denon's documentation doesn't mention anything to that effect? On the other hand, if Denon does make a case for audio through HDMI, with a menu setting to boot, the LG may not be performing correctly or may need to be set up for it in its menu.

elapsed
09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
The LDA-511 gets fairly rough reviews and reports of HDMI issues on AVS Forums (17 pages): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=534154&page=2&pp=30

For $180 there are far more capable Upconverting DVD Players available, such as the Oppo 970 or Denon DVD-1730. See for yourself how the next model up, the LG DVB418 rates:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all#LGDVB418%20(HDMI)

Sorry!

paul_pci
09-07-2006, 03:37 PM
It was my understanding that no receiver (until hdmi 1.3 is integrated into the hardware) will pass through audio from the hdmi cable. It's my understanding that, as of now, you always need an optical or other digital cable for the audio from a dvd.

elapsed
09-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi Paul - the AVR-2807 is indeed capable of passing audio via HDMI

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3038.asp
DVI/HDMI Video Inputs – Compatible with 1.1 Spec. – Multi-Channel Audio *1080p HDMI *2 HDMI

Also, players such as the Denon DVD-1920 are capable of outputting multi-channel audio via HDMI, including DVD-Audio. Because this model is HDMI 1.1, it cannot pass SACD over HDMI however (must use the 5.1 analog outs). SACD compatibility was added in HDMI 1.2.

AVMASTER
09-08-2006, 03:00 PM
i have the denon setup in my showroom with motorola cablebox via HDMI, Denon DVD1930ci with HDMI, with HDMI out of receiver to 60" Sony XBR, No audio problems. Sounds like settinngs in the LG need to be adjusted

irbe327
10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I'll start off by apologizing incase I'm in the wrong area. This is my first time using a forum. If I am in the wrong place, hopefully someone can point me in the right direrction.

I recently purchased a 42" Samsung Plasma TV (HPR4272X) and a Denon DVD-1730 DVD Player. I am running the DVD player directly to the TV through a 15' ProFlex HDMI cable. When I watch a DVD, I get a "sandstorm" effect -- as Denon classifies it -- when the picture consists mostly of dark colors. When the picture is bright, I don't see any problems. I called Denon today and they told me that this is common and due to the fact that the TV and DVD player might have different HDMI versions and that they may not be compatible. I tested the DVD player on my 43" Samsung DLP and it did the same thing. I tried hooking up the DVD player via component cables, and that seems to fix the problem. If possible, I'd like to use the HDMI output. Any ideas/solutions why I'm having these problems with the picture quality. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PeruvianSkies
10-12-2006, 12:06 PM
To me - it sounds like a compatability or setting issue. It's hard to narrow these down sometimes because you are using different components and trying to locate the source of the problem. For awhile I was using HDMI thinking it was the "best" thing out there, but recently have realized that using component still delivers better color reproduction. Of course this can be debatable based on several factors. The component cables I am using are far better than the HDMI one, but I have heard other complains similar to mine about the 'black' levels being really wacky with HDMI.