Let's talk some Americana soup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk some Americana soup

Davey
09-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Been a while since we've had a good ol' Americana lovefest around here, so who's been clanging your bell lately? Ya know, stuff like that new freak-folkie Devendra Banhart in my player right now, going on about his good friend Will, who sings like good ol' John Mayall on that classic Goin' back to California. And what does "tit smoking in the temple of artesan mimicry" really mean? And isn't "Rejoicing In The Hands" just a great song?

I'm kind of an alt-country and folk guy so don't listen to much new country, so with that proviso out of the way, one of my favorites of modern times is Gillian Welch. She and her husband/partner David Rawlings did a very good one a few years ago called "Time (the Revelator)" that's destined to be a modern classic in the loosely defined country folk genre, and very nice sounding too. Not really quite what I call country, but recorded simply, live in the studio with just a couple of Neumann mikes, Gillian and David, banjo and vintage acoustic guitars, and a lot of good music. Gillian describes the album, "As opposed to little tiny folk songs, they're really tiny rock songs performed in an acoustic setting. In our heads we went electric without changing instruments."

Also Richard Buckner is a big favorite along those same country folk lines. "Bloomed" is outstanding, along with some of his newer stuff too. The 1999 Rykodisc reissue has some nice bonus tracks, but it is kind of pumped up unfortunately.

And Califone has a lot of country folk leanings, especially on the excellent "Roomsound". A little more eclectic, for sure, but really typifies what I like in music.

And the Walkabouts. They did an album of covers in the mid 90s called "Satisfied Mind" that is outstanding, both musically and sonically. Real country. Even goes back to grab the 1927 Carter Family classic "The Storms Are On the Ocean" and make it a modern, moody classic. Beautiful album. I just recently picked up their "Ended Up A Stranger" from 2002 and it's really nice. Shouldn't have waited so long. Carla, as always, is a gem of a singer. Kinda wish she sang the lead even more often. The band is hot. The music is great. Even the sound is pretty nice, with Phil Brown producing and mixing along with the band, and Denis Blackham mastering. Brown and Blackham are a pretty good team. I have some others they've worked on like the Talk Talk reissue of "Spirit of Eden" that sounds great. Just honest and natural, without the fake pizzaz that wrecks a lot of CDs.

Lots more. That debut by Mary Gauthier called "Mercy Now" is really good. Kind of a Lucinda Williams bent at times, but still her own woman. Real emotional delivery. Made quite a few best of the year lists. Way too compressed like most modern stuff, but what can ya do? And of course, Lucinda is the real thing, anything by her is choice. I'm partial to the self-titled one from the end of the 80s, but "Car Wheels" from the mid 90s is a certified classic.

Over The Rhine is another one that gets some good press hereabouts. A couple years ago they put out a sprawling 2-CD (or gatefold LP) epic with both acoustic and electric sections called "Ohio" that was easily one of the best of 2003. Again not entirely country, but Karin Bergquist has such a wonderfully expressive voice and you won't find music and lyrics much more compelling than this. Think maybe something along the lines of Fleetwood Mac meets Gram Parsons (or maybe Whiskeytown covering Gram Parsons like they did on that great tribute album from a few years ago that Emmylou Harris put together called "The Return of the Grievous Angel"). The lush sound is a little reminiscent of the Cowboy Junkies or Blue Rodeo. Not as overtly pop sounding as the Fleetwood Mac reference would suggest (nor as dreamy and hedonistic either). Think more "Tusk" than something like "Rumours". Somewhat spiritual. Nicely recorded by Paul Mahern at Echo Park in Bloomington, Indiana on 2" analog tape.

And speaking of Emmylou Harris, the one she did with Daniel Lanois in the mid 90s called "Wrecking Ball" is outstanding. Man, it would be fun to discover another record like that one. My laser has dug around in those pits quite a few times.

Anyhoot, been kind of a slow alt-country and folk year for me so far. That Deadstring Brothers record was some good ol shiz, but it is kind of old sounding with a lot of the sound of The Band and Stones. Love the Willard Grant Conspiracy, but they've done it before. The top album on the charts at the americana.uk site is some great power pop from Daniel Wylie "The High Cost of Happiness" they rated 10 out of 10. Guess that says something, eh? Like, where's all the great country music?

Just ordered the new Woven Hand record a few days ago. Supposed to be very good, maybe his best. So been playing a bunch of Woven Hand and 16 Horsepower. But I'm open to suggestions .... new Nina Nastasia in a couple weeks! That one is big on my calendar, along with the highly anticipated new Califone. Yeah, that should get my twig shaking and rattling :)

Bernd
09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
It's locked it's un-locked it's closed it's open:confused:
I am dizzy.
Anyway great thread and it read perfectley (in)sane as usual.
If you like the Mercy Now disc check out Mary Gauthiers 02 release Filth and Fire. I am having my first exposure right now to the new Anne McCue release, Koala Motel. Good stuff. Bit like an australian Lucinda Williams.

Peace

Bernd:16:

nobody
09-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Anybody else dig Old Crow Medicine Show?

I've listened to their release from last year pretty extensively.

This year, I've found more country where I'd leave the alt off of.

The last Johnny Cash and the latest Willie Nelson are the two standouts for me.

Resident Loser
09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
...I am dizzy...

...something we don't already know...;-p

...haven't had the opportunity to listen yet, but I bought "The Little Willies" this past weekend based purely on the snippets of material @ the Norah Jones site...With songwriters such as Hank Williams, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Fred Rose, Lieber and Stoller...I figure I can't go too wrong...

jimHJJ(...and what was with the turnstyle-state of this thread anywho?...)

Davey
09-07-2006, 11:18 AM
It's locked it's un-locked it's closed it's open:confused:
I am dizzy.
Yeah, no idea what happened. It was locked as soon as I posted it, so made another thread wondering what I had done wrong today, but then realized there is a control that allows me to unlock it myself, so did that and then deleted the other thread. Never saw that option before, but seem to have just added the gallery link to the avatar area as well. So, anyone have any pictures uploaded worth looking at?

Slosh
09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey, check out this new Decemberists song and tell me it doesn't remind you of R.E.M.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=05157BA77146C5B6
Can hardly wait for its release next month so I don't have to put up with the crappy mp3 sonics anymore.

Davey
09-07-2006, 03:24 PM
... remind you of R.E.M.
And that is supposed to be a good thing?

http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/idea.gif

Hey Yo, will listen later and tell you how much the world doesn't need another whiney Stipe wannabe :)

Juzza kidding, although I did hear one or two of those Morrissey covers Meloy did on his solo gig and they were only half bad, but he's a better ringer for Moz than Mikey.

Heywood Djahblomie
09-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Been a while since we've had a good ol' Americana lovefest around here, so who's been clanging your bell lately? Ya know, stuff like that new freak-folkie Devendra Banhart in my player right now, going on about his good friend Will, who sings like good ol' John Mayall on that classic Goin' back to California. And what does "tit smoking in the temple of artesan mimicry" really mean? And isn't "Rejoicing In The Hands" just a great song?

I'm kind of an alt-country and folk guy so don't listen to much new country, so with that proviso out of the way, one of my favorites of modern times is Gillian Welch. She and her husband/partner David Rawlings did a very good one a few years ago called "Time (the Revelator)" that's destined to be a modern classic in the loosely defined country folk genre, and very nice sounding too. Not really quite what I call country, but recorded simply, live in the studio with just a couple of Neumann mikes, Gillian and David, banjo and vintage acoustic guitars, and a lot of good music. Gillian describes the album, "As opposed to little tiny folk songs, they're really tiny rock songs performed in an acoustic setting. In our heads we went electric without changing instruments."

Also Richard Buckner is a big favorite along those same country folk lines. "Bloomed" is outstanding, along with some of his newer stuff too. The 1999 Rykodisc reissue has some nice bonus tracks, but it is kind of pumped up unfortunately.

And Califone has a lot of country folk leanings, especially on the excellent "Roomsound". A little more eclectic, for sure, but really typifies what I like in music.

And the Walkabouts. They did an album of covers in the mid 90s called "Satisfied Mind" that is outstanding, both musically and sonically. Real country. Even goes back to grab the 1927 Carter Family classic "The Storms Are On the Ocean" and make it a modern, moody classic. Beautiful album. I just recently picked up their "Ended Up A Stranger" from 2002 and it's really nice. Shouldn't have waited so long. Carla, as always, is a gem of a singer. Kinda wish she sang the lead even more often. The band is hot. The music is great. Even the sound is pretty nice, with Phil Brown producing and mixing along with the band, and Denis Blackham mastering. Brown and Blackham are a pretty good team. I have some others they've worked on like the Talk Talk reissue of "Spirit of Eden" that sounds great. Just honest and natural, without the fake pizzaz that wrecks a lot of CDs.

Lots more. That debut by Mary Gauthier called "Mercy Now" is really good. Kind of a Lucinda Williams bent at times, but still her own woman. Real emotional delivery. Made quite a few best of the year lists. Way too compressed like most modern stuff, but what can ya do? And of course, Lucinda is the real thing, anything by her is choice. I'm partial to the self-titled one from the end of the 80s, but "Car Wheels" from the mid 90s is a certified classic.

Over The Rhine is another one that gets some good press hereabouts. A couple years ago they put out a sprawling 2-CD (or gatefold LP) epic with both acoustic and electric sections called "Ohio" that was easily one of the best of 2003. Again not entirely country, but Karin Bergquist has such a wonderfully expressive voice and you won't find music and lyrics much more compelling than this. Think maybe something along the lines of Fleetwood Mac meets Gram Parsons (or maybe Whiskeytown covering Gram Parsons like they did on that great tribute album from a few years ago that Emmylou Harris put together called "The Return of the Grievous Angel"). The lush sound is a little reminiscent of the Cowboy Junkies or Blue Rodeo. Not as overtly pop sounding as the Fleetwood Mac reference would suggest (nor as dreamy and hedonistic either). Think more "Tusk" than something like "Rumours". Somewhat spiritual. Nicely recorded by Paul Mahern at Echo Park in Bloomington, Indiana on 2" analog tape.

And speaking of Emmylou Harris, the one she did with Daniel Lanois in the mid 90s called "Wrecking Ball" is outstanding. Man, it would be fun to discover another record like that one. My laser has dug around in those pits quite a few times.

Anyhoot, been kind of a slow alt-country and folk year for me so far. That Deadstring Brothers record was some good ol shiz, but it is kind of old sounding with a lot of the sound of The Band and Stones. Love the Willard Grant Conspiracy, but they've done it before. The top album on the charts at the americana.uk site is some great power pop from Daniel Wylie "The High Cost of Happiness" they rated 10 out of 10. Guess that says something, eh? Like, where's all the great country music?

Just ordered the new Woven Hand record a few days ago. Supposed to be very good, maybe his best. So been playing a bunch of Woven Hand and 16 Horsepower. But I'm open to suggestions .... new Nina Nastasia in a couple weeks! That one is big on my calendar, along with the highly anticipated new Califone. Yeah, that should get my twig shaking and rattling :)

Americana? I ain't heard two-thirds of these

Bernd
09-07-2006, 11:38 PM
...something we don't already know...;-p

jimHJJ(...and what was with the turnstyle-state of this thread anywho?...)

The culprit could have been the two or three ice cold Pilsner Urquell and a small dram of Glenmorangie. Just guessing though.:ihih:

The "Little Willies" is a fine album. Enjoy.

And one to check out is the 2004 release from "The Blue Seeds" a self-titled 6 track ep. Very atmospheric. Like a soundtrack to a Film Noir roadmovie.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Dave918
09-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Some old, some relatively new, all great and loaded in my iPod right now:

Anna Coogan ~ Lonesome Cowboy Lullaby
Bill & Bonnie Hearne ~ Watching Life Through A Windshield
Greg Brown ~ Milk of the Moon
David Olney ~ Migration
Grey Delisle ~ Iron Flowers
Jeffery Foucault ~ Stripping Cane
Jessie Sykes ~ Oh, My Baby
Lucy Kaplansky ~ The Red Thread
Malcolm Holcombe ~ I Never Heard You Knockin'

-dave

Slosh
09-08-2006, 02:24 AM
Why yes, I am an idiot. How did ya know?Nice screen name. What, was Fellatio Hornblower already taken?

NP: Wilco - "Panthers"

Slosh
09-08-2006, 04:53 AM
And that is supposed to be a good thing?

http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/idea.gif

Hey Yo, will listen later and tell you how much the world doesn't need another whiney Stipe wannabe :)

Juzza kidding, although I did hear one or two of those Morrissey covers Meloy did on his solo gig and they were only half bad, but he's a better ringer for Moz than Mikey.The music reminds me of R.E.M., not the voices.

NP: "Sweetbreads" - Andrew Bird's Bowl Of Fire Live In Chicago 6/02/01

sweetbreads, I can taste what you were thinking

sweetbreads, that's the taste of neurons blinking :)

bobsticks
09-08-2006, 05:18 AM
This genre is a new one for me, but I've enjoyed several albums over the last month or so...

2048 and

Bernd
09-08-2006, 05:37 AM
A few I like:

"Greg Brown - The Poets Game"

"Lee Clayton - Naked Child"

"Chris Knight - The Jealous Kind"

"Romney Getty - Fill in your Gray"

Peace

Bernd :16:

Mike
09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Nice little rambling there Dave, I still play your 10 years of alt country now and then which introduced me to all sorts of new sounds (at the time 2001) like Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown, Lucinda Williams, Son Volt and Giant Sand to name a few.

Definitely with you on the Over The Rhine album, Karin Bergquist voice just washes over you, great sound too. Greg Brown does it for me with albums like Slant 6 Mind, Further In and Covenant but then again maybe more alt folk/blues than alt country. Or Sufjan Stevens with Illinoise and Greetings From Michigan and you can’t go wrong with anything by Hem or Lambchop. Recent albums over the last couple of years by the likes of Clem Snide and Micah P Hinson shouldn’t be overlooked either.

Recently I’ve been enjoying the latest by the Drive by Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse for some Americana twang and the recent album by the excellent Mountain Goats called Get Lonely featuring the tortured John Darnielle with a much more mellow, less angst affair than his last. Great recording too like John is just sat there in your room.

Haven’t had chance to visit this place much over the last few months but it’s always good to come back and see what you’ve missed.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
09-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Nice little rambling there Dave, I still play your 10 years of alt country now and then which introduced me to all sorts of new sounds (at the time 2001) like Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown, Lucinda Williams, Son Volt and Giant Sand to name a few.
Yeah, that comp did turn out kind of cool. Gave me a reason to revisit and rediscover a few artists as well. Speaking of Giant Sand, I didn't mention Howe's latest in the thread opener, but it's one of the years best for me. 'Sno Angel Like You. Little review at my site, but hard to really do it justice with my limited faculties. Not much twang, and backed by a gospel choir, but charming as ever in both music and words. Great sound too. Haven't been pulling it out enough lately, so I'm feeling an overdose of Howe and Giant Sand coming on this weekend :)

Slosh
09-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey, just 'cause I'm a hell of a guy :rolleyes: here's that Andrew Bird song I was talking about a little earlier. (22MB .flac)
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0984D83A26DF070DGood stuff!

Davey
09-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Just ordered the new Woven Hand record a few days ago. Supposed to be very good, maybe his best. So been playing a bunch of Woven Hand and 16 Horsepower. But I'm open to suggestions ....
Wow, been playing this new Wovenhand for the last few days and really loving that dark and spiritual sound. Almost sinister at times. Don't know how many spins so far since it's so intoxicating, but probably a bunch, at least 5 or 6. Has much more of a Joy Division sound than in the past. But with that medieval sound that weaves throughout early Dead Can Dance music. Does sound like a full band, even though it's usually just his guitar and/or banjo and voice and an understated drummer, with piano/organ and/or strings on some of it. Another nice sounding one too, recorded, mixed and mastered by Robert Ferbrache up at his studio in Elktooth, CO. Be fun to have a recording studio and work with a lot of your favorite artists. I think Ferbrache used to play some lap-steel with 16 HP. Anyway, always a caution that it is very spiritual music, and his religious passion can get almost overwhelming at times, but he brings it all on this one, and I love it so far. After I ordered it a few days ago, I read a review or two that said it was too overbearing to listen all the way through, and I got a bit worried that maybe he went too far this time, but the first listen had me, and now it just gets better. The guy below withthe 9/10 review has it about right ...

http://lostatsea.net/review.phtml?id=64146129744f8781abcaad

Now I need to find me a copy of that "Blush Music" disc that reworked the first s/t album for the film score. Supposed to be pretty amazing. Anyone seen the cover of the new Magnolia Electric Co. disc? Or heard it yet? Some Albini sessions along with some other engineers. Just picked up a new copy of the latest Neko Case for about $5 on amazon! Pays to wait :)

Love this cover too ...

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/upload/dreamtforlightyears300.jpg