So what are all of the known "retro" bands? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what are all of the known "retro" bands?

Jefferson
02-04-2004, 11:26 AM
I have stuff by Brian Jonestown Masacre and Supergrass , plus I've heard that The Darkness are pretty much a retro outfit. So who else is out there?

Of Supergrass I have Life on other planets and liked it from the first listen.

For Brian Jonestown Masacre I have Strung out in heaven which now that I've heard it a few times I like it as well. I think I'll get one of their earlier releases next.

mad rhetorik
02-04-2004, 11:47 AM
White Stripes, Flat Duo Jets: Modern re-intrepretation of early minimalist blues-rockers, like Bo Diddley. The John Spencer Blues Xplosion are vaguely similar, but I think they've got their own unique thing going.
The Hives: Like an early Rolling Stones, maybe Sonics or Stooges.
The Darkness: '80s cock-rock/AOR pastiche. They suck, but maybe that's the point.
The Vines: Nirvana clone.
The Strokes: Some bastard offspring of Lou Reed and The Cars, with some Stooges thrown in.
Interpol: Recall Joy Division or The Smiths, big time.
Jet, Kings Of Leon: Boogie rock that is clearly CCR and Lynyrd Skynyrd-inspired.
My Morning Jacket: Cross-fertilization between The Allman Brothers and Neil Young/Crazy Horse.
The Donnas: Take the Ramones and change their genders. That's about it.
Decline Of British Sea Power: Some combo of Bowie, Joy Division, and Echo And The Bunnymen.
The Libertines: Sounds a lot like The Clash to me.

Those are most of the major ones, I think. Personally I like The White Stripes and My Morning Jacket, and The Donnas and Decline Of British Sea Power are okay, but the rest are boring and overly derivative. I personally prefer The Shins, Dismemberment Plan (R.I.P.), Wilco, and Modest Mouse--at least they're doing something <i>different</i>.

Jefferson
02-04-2004, 12:32 PM
White Stripes, Flat Duo Jets: Modern re-intrepretation of early minimalist blues-rockers, like Bo Diddley. The John Spencer Blues Xplosion are vaguely similar, but I think they've got their own unique thing going.
The Hives: Like an early Rolling Stones, maybe Sonics or Stooges.
The Darkness: '80s cock-rock/AOR pastiche. They suck, but maybe that's the point.
The Vines: Nirvana clone.
The Strokes: Some bastard offspring of Lou Reed and The Cars, with some Stooges thrown in.
Interpol: Recall Joy Division or The Smiths, big time.
Jet, Kings Of Leon: Boogie rock that is clearly CCR and Lynyrd Skynyrd-inspired.
My Morning Jacket: Cross-fertilization between The Allman Brothers and Neil Young/Crazy Horse.
The Donnas: Take the Ramones and change their genders. That's about it.
Decline Of British Sea Power: Some combo of Bowie, Joy Division, and Echo And The Bunnymen.
The Libertines: Sounds a lot like The Clash to me.

Those are most of the major ones, I think. Personally I like The White Stripes and My Morning Jacket, and The Donnas and Decline Of British Sea Power are okay, but the rest are boring and overly derivative. I personally prefer The Shins, Dismemberment Plan (R.I.P.), Wilco, and Modest Mouse--at least they're doing something <i>different</i>.

Maybe I should have been a little clearer, bands like the Strokes , Vines and Interpol I consider derivative and not retro . Maybe its just me, but to my ear there is a difference. I have The Shins latest but haven't had time to listen to it yet.

I guess what I was driving at (or trying too) was bands that try and duplicate a particular template (such as Supergrass) and not ones that are merely influenced by something. Am I making any sense what so ever??? :D

Dusty Chalk
02-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Am I making any sense what so ever??? :DNo. The difference between "retro" and "derivative" is a judgment call. I actually thought that list was a really good answer to the question.

Jefferson
02-05-2004, 03:53 AM
No. The difference between "retro" and "derivative" is a judgment call. I actually thought that list was a really good answer to the question.

I guess as I see it if a record could have been played during a certain era and if it would have fit in.......then I'd consider it retro. But thats way different than being derivative or influenced by. Do you think maybe that The Strokes just might have seemed odd or out of place in 1970.......despite the obvious influence VU had on them?