Subwoofer - should it be used with a home stereo? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer - should it be used with a home stereo?

R332
09-05-2006, 09:01 PM
I have a Paradigm PDR-12 powered subwoofer that I wanted to connect to my home music stereo in conjunction with Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers but a person at my local home stereo store suggested that subwoofers were only to be used for theaters and not for listening to music.

Can this be true or has this man fallen off his rocker? IMO, no car audio system can be complete without some type of woofer for bass reproduction and to my ears the main speakers don't sound deep enough without the woofer.

What is the general consensus on this?

paul_pci
09-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Most folks I'd say like music with a subwoofer unless they have full range speakers, and a few others prefer music without a subwoofer. Not sure what this guy had in mind as it seems odd that any saleman would recommend less equipment. What equipment are you working with? a receiver or separates?

R332
09-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Most folks I'd say like music with a subwoofer unless they have full range speakers, and a few others prefer music without a subwoofer.

Do my Monitor 9s qualify as "full range" speakers?

Not sure what this guy had in mind as it seems odd that any saleman would recommend less equipment. What equipment are you working with? a receiver or separates?

I already own all the equipment. Monitor 9s, PDR-12 sub-woofer and Denon AVR-1700 receiver (looking for a new one - see post in Amps section).

paul_pci
09-05-2006, 09:21 PM
According to the Paradigm website, the Monitor 9s go down to 45hz which makes them more full range than bookshelf speakers, as would be expected. However, the quality of low frequency sound may not be as good as integrating a quality subwoofer, but that will also be a matter of taste and room acoustics, etc. Work with the subwoofer you have, see how you like it and go from there.

dingus
09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
the isnt any harm in trying it out.

teledynepost
09-05-2006, 11:04 PM
If adjusted correctly it should be able to work seamlessly- a few things toconsider there

kexodusc
09-06-2006, 03:49 AM
The Monitor 9's will play bass considerably lower than 45 Hz with decent control and loudness in all but the absolute largest of rooms. For a lot of rock music or blues you may find you have enough bass and no sub is required.

I'm in the camp that believes a subwoofer can improve any speaker, full-range or not for many reasons. If a crossover is used at a well implemented point, a great deal off stress on the speakers is relieved, improving power response, transient response, and possibly frequency response, while reducing distortion and decreasing power requirements.
This combined with the facts that room acoustics usually dictate ideal speaker location is not the ideal location for bass reproduction, and the likelihood your sub will play deeper and sound better at the very low frequencies are strong arguments for using a subwoofer.

The no-sub-for-stereo philosophy many hold is just out-dated sentiment from a time when there weren't many decent subs available, and higher order crossover filters weren't the norm. Not to say a sub is always needed, but they can sure make good sound even better.

Bernd
09-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Well I am in the opposite camp. In my opinion a sub has no place in a 2 channel system.:nonod: I have never heard one that didn't draw attention to itself. Be that at a show, dealer set up or private system.
But if you like what the thing does, go for it. No right or wrong here.
Good luck.

Peace

Bernd:7:

Resident Loser
09-06-2006, 05:54 AM
...against single, summing subs in general...but, If you listen to 2ch program material with a great deal of lo-freq info, i.e. organ music, the only way to reproduce the really low registers of foot pedals with any sort of authority is with capable full-range speakers or a sub (preferably a pair)...

You really need to pay close attention to Xover points and SPLs to get seamless operation...Much more critical with music than LFEs of laser-totin' mechanical lizards...

jimHJJ(...just my .02...)

PlumDragon
09-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Well I am in the opposite camp. In my opinion a sub has no place in a 2 channel system.:nonod: I have never heard one that didn't draw attention to itself. Be that at a show, dealer set up or private system.
Then you just havent tuned your gain and crossovers properly for your system/environment. Speaker setups arent just "out of the box" items. A well setup system has gone through significant tuning with gains, placement, crossovers and a variety of other settings. You dont just plug everything up and expect it to be perfect.

I currently run a stereo setup with a sub and I can tell you that once you find that point at which the sub acquiesces with the rest of the speakers, you will be in heaven. IMO, there is NO DOUBT that a sub can enhance any system, just like a center, or surrounds can whether its for audio or home theater. Once you get better at determining that match, you might even find yourself finely adjsuting gain on the fly to perfectly match the type of sound that you are listening to...

Resident Loser
09-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Then you just havent tuned your gain and crossovers properly for your system/environment. Speaker setups arent just "out of the box" items. A well setup system has gone through significant tuning with gains, placement, crossovers and a variety of other settings. You dont just plug everything up and expect it to be perfect.

I currently run a stereo setup with a sub and I can tell you that once you find that point at which the sub acquiesces with the rest of the speakers, you will be in heaven. IMO, there is NO DOUBT that a sub can enhance any system, just like a center, or surrounds can whether its for audio or home theater. Once you get better at determining that match, you might even find yourself finely adjsuting gain on the fly to perfectly match the type of sound that you are listening to...

...again, be kind...

jimHJJ(...tee-hee, chuckle...chortle...BWAAAHA-HA-HA...)

GMichael
09-06-2006, 08:50 AM
As you can see, some very intelligent people say yes. Some equally intelligent people say no.

I would say that with your speakers you should have a sub. You can always turn it down if it seems to overpower your system. You can also turn it up if you are a base-head and like it overpowering. Some people do. Some don't. Don't let some Salesman tell you what you like. Or anyone here either (especially me). Only you can do that.

Bernd
09-06-2006, 08:59 AM

I am not sure how I can answer that. You seem to know the set-ups I have listened to, and, in particular my own, very well indeed.
I will say it again I have never heard a 2 channel system where the sub is not drawing attention to itself. However if you like that sort of bass go for it. To me sub stands for substitute.
Let it boom.

Peace

Bernd:4:

Resident Loser
09-06-2006, 09:09 AM
I am not sure how I can answer that. You seem to know the set-ups I have listened to, and, in particular my own, very well indeed.
I will say it again I have never heard a 2 channel system where the sub is not drawing attention to itself. However if you like that sort of bass go for it. To me sub stands for substitute.
Let it boom.

Peace

Bernd:4:

...to be no politician...

jimHJJ(...and kind to boot...)

kexodusc
09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
A subwoofer essentially turns a 2-way speaker into a 3-way speaker. One just needs the time and patience to integrate it properly. I think a reality for many people is simply floor space, or cost/benefit considerations.

My stereo speakers are good to the high 20 Hz's frequencies, so I get by on most music I listen to without a sub. I'd still benefit if I could somehow position the bass producing frequencies of the speakers in a location that doesn't excite the room's modes as disproportionately, not to mention the other benefits I mentioned earlier.

I'm perplexed by the comment a sub "draw attention to itself". People usually ask me if mine's on until a dinosaur starts marching or a depth charge drops and pictures fall off the wall.

I kind of sympathize with the nay-sayers, until parametric EQ-ing and going to a sealed sub, any sub I had simply couldn't keep up with my speakers in terms of sound quality.
I would say a bad sub shouldn't be used in a stereo system, and a poorly integrated sub could give itself away - though good crossover and placement technique, or using 2 would alleviate that concern.
I suppose at the very worse it would be a trade-off between allowing the speaker to sound better across 4 or 5 octaves at the risk of a bit of localization across 1 octave, if the filter is set that high. Then you choose which approach sounds best to you...

In my setup, cost and space keep the sub out more than marginal sound improvements.

Bernd
09-06-2006, 09:41 AM
...to be no politician...

jimHJJ(...and kind to boot...)

Well let me answer that in a related way. In reality........

Peace

Bernd:16:

Bernd
09-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Don't be perplexed over my statement. That's what I have heard and I am not alone on that.

At my Dealer friends we had:

Unison Research Absolute 845

Zingali Home Monitor 215 - ll

SME 20/2

Absolutly no need whatsover for a sub. Just for experimental fun we switched in an REL and he configured it. You could always hear it.

At the last HiFi show I attended:

MBL Radialstrahler 101 E