What is your favorite audio format? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite audio format?

dvda-sacd
09-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi everyone!

Please, could you vote for your favorite format for music?

You can also vote on this poll (http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23293) (you don't need to be a registered member):

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23293

:) Thanks.

N. Abstentia
09-04-2006, 11:05 AM
I like vinyl the best for some older stuff that I don't have on CD, and some stuff just sounds better on vinyl.

I like CD the best for new stuff, or listening in the car. Can't beat the availability and convenience.

I like HDCD best when playing an HDCD.

I like DTS best for movies.

I like DVD-Audio best for multichannel stuff that's not available on SACD.

I like SACD best for multichannel stuff that's not available on DVD-Audio.

I like compressed audio best when listening on the computer or on the Sansa MP3 player.

So how does my answer fit in the poll?

musicoverall
09-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I like vinyl the best for some older stuff that I don't have on CD, and some stuff just sounds better on vinyl.

I like CD the best for new stuff, or listening in the car. Can't beat the availability and convenience.

I like HDCD best when playing an HDCD.

I like DTS best for movies.

I like DVD-Audio best for multichannel stuff that's not available on SACD.

I like SACD best for multichannel stuff that's not available on DVD-Audio.

I like compressed audio best when listening on the computer or on the Sansa MP3 player.

So how does my answer fit in the poll?

Why, it makes you one of those lowdown dirty rotten rat bastid MUSIC LOVERS!

Also a movie lover.

Great response! Couldn't have done half so well myself. I would add that I also like CD-R's that have old cassettes on them, or LP's/CD's that I have borrowed and recorded...er...but that would be WRONG! :D

N. Abstentia
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah how dare me :)

It's impossible to nail down one format as the best. BUT if ALL recordings were available on ALL formats I would choose SACD..IF they could easily be copied, ripped, played in a car (in 5.1), and played on an MP3 player. Maybe that will happen someday...

Feanor
09-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Yeah how dare me :)

It's impossible to nail down one format as the best. BUT if ALL recordings were available on ALL formats I would choose SACD..IF they could easily be copied, ripped, played in a car (in 5.1), and played on an MP3 player. Maybe that will happen someday...

Of course, it's effectively impossible to copy the DSD content, but with hybrid discs, which are the vast majority, you still copy the CD layer. This is adequate for the typical car system, MP3 players, etc.. In my case I rip the CD layer to Apple Lossless to play via iTunes and my USB DAC; I more often listen to that than the DSD layers.

In fact, I tend only buy SACDs for large-scale orchestral and vocal works, and only where the recording was originally made with multi-channel release in mind. Still, overall they are my favorite medium where these criterion are met.

Resident Loser
09-05-2006, 06:45 AM
...live...

...Most of my collection is vinyl (and I do like the whole hands-on ritual), followed by cassette (for convenience) and for the absolute in cheepnis, ease and quietude it's CD...

I just like music, from a transistor radio or my main rig...

jimHJJ(...or nearly anything in between...)

kexodusc
09-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Hmmm, SACD is by far the best sounding on account of the mc mixes, but sometimes DVD-Audio outdoes it.
Don't really have a favorite, I have a lot of vinyl and NA's right - I think all that anolog distortion/warmth from the ol' gear was factored into the mix when LP's were engineered - the CD transfers usually sound too thin and sterile. But the remasters usually get it right.

I dunno, anything but radio I guess - dynamic compression really sucks the life out of music for me...probaby why I like a lot of classical on CD more than vinyl. I can live with a bit of resolution loss and hiss/noise if the dynamics are preserved though. You don't really notice it.

Nothing beats a live performance though, nothing. With home audio, you are exiting 1 sense - sound...Live, all 5 senses endulge in the experiece!