Hey Rga!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Rga!!!!

thepogue
09-02-2006, 05:40 PM
What the heck are you doing in "The Land of the Morning Calm"? That's where I met me wife ahhh back in....ah...well lets just say I got my first nice peice of audio gear in the BX in Osan (it was an Sansui 7000, still the sexiest amp I ever seen! ):ihih:

How long you goin' to be there...and is there any good deals on any audio gear there? when I was there all the deal were for sneakers and mink blankets...but I know they've come a long way!

ok brudda...be good and keep your head low and stay 'way from that DMZ!!

Peace, Pogue

RGA
09-04-2006, 04:07 AM
What the heck are you doing in "The Land of the Morning Calm"? That's where I met me wife ahhh back in....ah...well lets just say I got my first nice peice of audio gear in the BX in Osan (it was an Sansui 7000, still the sexiest amp I ever seen! ):ihih:

How long you goin' to be there...and is there any good deals on any audio gear there? when I was there all the deal were for sneakers and mink blankets...but I know they've come a long way!

ok brudda...be good and keep your head low and stay 'way from that DMZ!!

Peace, Pogue

I'm here for a year teaching English -- been here since the end of March. It's going well. A few quircks like paying double for Starbucks coffee which irritates me. I went the Philippines and the coffee was like at home so I don't get Korea - they must fly the bags first class on their own seat. I have met a lot of Americans over here and they have all been really great people -- I am actually learning more about diverse people here than in Canada where the one note anti-US stance blurs the people factor. Really super bunch of girls and guys. I have joined up with the Hashers -- they're a walking/running club with a huge beer league bent. I'm in on that. Have not really been into audio a lot here - no time really. It was funny to see B&W in a shopping mall though but space is at a premium I guess.

Korea is kind of like 1950's US conservatism with a party underbelly. I love the Soju (not the soju surprise the next morning though) and gimchi I actually like -- I'm the only foreign teacher in my school that likes it. I will miss the food over here.

And interestingly I find most of them to be so damn tall. Koreans are the tallest people of the Asian countries apparently but man they have something here because some of these women are very tall -- and umm stupid pretty.

I may go to Japan when this contract ends. I have not decided yet. With all the wonderful Americans I am meeting though I may see what is on offer. People tell me Coloado is nice. I want a place with nice scenery, mountains lakes and within a few days drive of the British Columbia border.

thepogue
09-04-2006, 07:15 AM
I did the Osan thang...and alway took the trains to Seoul. My wifes family is from the North East corner of South Korea...in fact they live on the main road of a beach front vaction spot....I do really love the Koreans as a whole...kinda hard to get to know..but friends for life. Where are you teaching? So can you score any hi-fi stuff for a good price there?

Peace out, Pogue

Jimmy C
09-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm here for a year teaching English -- been here since the end of March. It's going well. A few quircks like paying double for Starbucks coffee which irritates me. I went the Philippines and the coffee was like at home so I don't get Korea - they must fly the bags first class on their own seat. I have met a lot of Americans over here and they have all been really great people -- I am actually learning more about diverse people here than in Canada where the one note anti-US stance blurs the people factor. Really super bunch of girls and guys. I have joined up with the Hashers -- they're a walking/running club with a huge beer league bent. I'm in on that. Have not really been into audio a lot here - no time really. It was funny to see B&W in a shopping mall though but space is at a premium I guess.

Korea is kind of like 1950's US conservatism with a party underbelly. I love the Soju (not the soju surprise the next morning though) and gimchi I actually like -- I'm the only foreign teacher in my school that likes it. I will miss the food over here.

And interestingly I find most of them to be so damn tall. Koreans are the tallest people of the Asian countries apparently but man they have something here because some of these women are very tall -- and umm stupid pretty.

I may go to Japan when this contract ends. I have not decided yet. With all the wonderful Americans I am meeting though I may see what is on offer. People tell me Coloado is nice. I want a place with nice scenery, mountains lakes and within a few days drive of the British Columbia border.

...apparently, it's a drinking club with a running problem.

By the way, a friend and I are in the process of setting up an AN-J demo (within a week or two) in Tribeca (NYC). Should be interesting.

Enjoy the new sights.

jrhymeammo
09-04-2006, 12:29 PM
People tell me Coloado is nice. I want a place with nice scenery, mountains lakes and within a few days drive of the British Columbia border.

Hi, RGA. I live in Denver Colorado, and Rocky Mountain is only 15 minutes away. And I must tell you, you will love this place. We have AN dealer in town along with other Hi-Fi dealers I cannot afford, and LP selections here are excellent.
I have a great job offer in east Tennessee where Smoky Mountain is gorgeous, but no record stores. I'm starting to think I'll be missing some great opportunities in life because of this hobby.
PS-Ebay can go to hell!!!

RGA
09-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I never really viewed this as a hobby. My hobby is talking about it but not changing things every week in my own system. I enjoy listening to music and want a good system to do it but arguing about it all the time is not healthy.

I'll have to see if there are teaching jobs in Colorado area -- my degrees are in History, English (shocking right?) and Education (I can teach K-12 though which is unusual). Usually they prefer math/science at high schools but I prefer Grade 4-7 anyway.

I live in Ilsan -- about 40 minutues from Itaewon.

Gotta go back to work -- TTYL

kexodusc
09-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself...I don't teach but I had an opportunity to teach english over there and I turned it down to move to Toronto for an internship at McDonald's corporate...big mistake in hindsight, I regret not going to this day! Ended up getting to France for 6 months out of it though so not a total loss.

Bouncing back and forth as much as I have,I've always found Americans to be incredibly similar to Canadians, despite what the CBC and Globe & Mail would have you believe - though there are some fanatic secular extreme right wing types, but hey, Canada's got a few of those too - Isn't one the heritage Minister now? :D

I think you may actually be a year or two older than me if I recall, but if I could give any advice it would be to go to Japan...it oozes culture and history and is absolutely incredible. Someday you're gonna shack up with a lady and have kids and a mortgage and getting to travel the world and live in these awesome places ain't gonna be easy...trust me, my wife's almost 3 months into her 7 month stay in Australia - it's pretty tough holding down the fort myself, and I don't even have kids yet...

Colorado's nice - but most BC-ers I've met prefer Seattle or somewhere in Washington. If you want a real culture shock in the USA, move to the East - I know Florida and Georgia are screaming for teachers.

Dude, get a camera and post us some pictures...or start one of those Bloggy things or something!

Have fun!

Worf101
09-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Spent 15 months there with the 2nd Engineer Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Castle Korea.. but that was many Presidents ago. Part of me misses the ROK, part of me doesn't. Don't miss humpin' them yamas or dodgin Kimchee Kabs during my morning 2 mile run. Do miss the Ville though...

Da Worfster