what speakers should i buy?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what speakers should i buy??

tony340
09-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Hi, this is my first post and i hope you guys can help me out here.
I listen to only 2 channel audio, and i'm trying to get a pair of speakers.
My amp is a NAD 3020i and Cd player is a NAD C521, so i'm trying to get the best for this combination.
I've auditioned the Mission m35i, and they sound very good, but there are also a pair of Mission 753Freedom which is also there with afriend of mine which i've to consider.

Can anybody advice me? I listen to mainly Dire Straits, Eagles, SRV, Deep Purple etc

likeitloud
09-02-2006, 04:48 AM
Hi, this is my first post and i hope you guys can help me out here.
I listen to only 2 channel audio, and i'm trying to get a pair of speakers.
My amp is a NAD 3020i and Cd player is a NAD C521, so i'm trying to get the best for this combination.
I've auditioned the Mission m35i, and they sound very good, but there are also a pair of Mission 753Freedom which is also there with afriend of mine which i've to consider.

Can anybody advice me? I listen to mainly Dire Straits, Eagles, SRV, Deep Purple etc

Speakers highly regarded here at AR, Are, Axiom, PSB, B+W, Polk Audio, SVS,
and Boston Acoustics, just to name a few. Click reviews on top of the page, then
speakers, and start doing your homework. You did'nt mention budget, but AR's
reviews cover every price point. Good Luck, let us know what you come up with.
Later.

shokhead
09-02-2006, 04:53 AM
Go to polks website and answer the questions and see what speaker they suggest.

tony340
09-02-2006, 06:08 AM
Thanks, my budget is around the USD 650-750 price range.
The Mission M35i costs around 750USD in Singapore. thats where i live.
The Mission 753F costs 650USD SECOND HAND.
As i said earlier i need a speaker for music, not home theatre and the music i listen to most is mentioned in my last post.
Thanks again

N. Abstentia
09-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Paradigm Studio series, hopefully they have a dealer near you.

tony340
09-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi, thank you for your advice so far. Which model of the Paradigm studio series will be within my budget?

nyctc7
09-02-2006, 11:57 AM
What speakers should you buy? The ones YOU like, of course! Singapore has lots of stereo stores...doesn't it? There is no substitute for listening...

jrhymeammo
09-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi, thank you for your advice so far. Which model of the Paradigm studio series will be within my budget?

Try searching for reviews on this site. http://audioreview.com/mfr/paradigm/floorstanding-speakers/MPL_1371_1594CRX.ASPX

With your $700 budget(assuming it's in US dollar, not Singapore $), you have alot of options in US. Not sure about Singapore. But, I do see alot of hi-end speakers for sale on Audiogon.com. Not sure exactly what that means.
Studio 20s will be better option for you than 40s. Lower extension on 40s compared to 20s are insignificant. Also, Paradigms are fairly easy to drive so with your 20w integrated, it shouldn't be too diffcult to drive, unless you have a large room.
Here is a contact info for Paradigm dealer in Singapore.
dthk33@singnet.com.sg
65 6259 6120
Derek Tan from Pan Pacific

PHiX
09-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Take a couple of CDs to the store and LISTEN! Don't buy a brand, buy the sound you like! For me it was B&W but you might think those sound less good than others. Sound is just subjective, your ears arent mine.

bobsticks
09-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Try searching for reviews on this site. http://audioreview.com/mfr/paradigm/floorstanding-speakers/MPL_1371_1594CRX.ASPX

With your $700 budget(assuming it's in US dollar, not Singapore $), you have alot of options in US. Not sure about Singapore. But, I do see alot of hi-end speakers for sale on Audiogon.com. Not sure exactly what that means.
Studio 20s will be better option for you than 40s. Lower extension on 40s compared to 20s are insignificant. Also, Paradigms are fairly easy to drive so with your 20w integrated, it shouldn't be too diffcult to drive, unless you have a large room.
Here is a contact info for Paradigm dealer in Singapore.
dthk33@singnet.com.sg
65 6259 6120
Derek Tan from Pan Pacific

...Sound advice, as it were...

tony340
09-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys, this really is putting me on the right track.
The studio 20 is a standmount right? So then i will also have to buy the right stand,which will cost a fair deal. So isnt it better to get a pair of floorstanders instead? I mean wont the Studio 20's+stands come to the price of a pair of floorstanders?

emorphien
09-02-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm using Axiom M3Tis on a NAD C320 BEE with a C542 source (and turntable) and am very happy with the combination. I've had the speakers for quite a while now (even before everyone went overly gaga for Axiom and got everyone else fed up) and I'm still enjoying them. Eventually I'll upgrade but not for a while yet.

I have them on Wood Technology TMT 30" metal speaker stands which aren't terribly pricy. I suppose you can certainly spend a lot more on stands but I got these for a good price (something like $70 at Parts Express I think). They're sturdy and hefty enough for my needs; although with a grad student budget and mentality I'm not apt to go overkill on any of the components at this point in time.

tony340
09-02-2006, 11:39 PM
So guys, none of you have anything to say about the Missions that i asked advice on?
The M35i's are going for USD750, and they are floorstanders, so are the 753F but i really cant make up my mind by just auditioning them, i need advice from someone who has them in their home and who have used them to their fullest.
And the other fact is, if i were to buy the Paradigm studio20, i'll also have to buy some decent stands, which will then exceed the price of many floorstanders out there.

jtgofish
09-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Tony ,
The nad amps like the 3020 are great but they have an artificially warm sound with plenty of midrange emphasis.This means that they probably best suit open, neutral sounding speakers.[cold sounding even]
Also they are not very powerful so benefit from quite efficient speakers.
Paper coned speakers might work better than heavily damped cones like plastic or even doped paper.
How about Robertson Audio speakers?.A local company that makes excellent products.
Also if you can find some ESS speakers [old or new] with the Heil ribbons, these are a superb match with the nad 3020 series amps-they have a understated midrange that compliments the NADs perfectly.

tony340
09-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Hey thanks for your very informative input, i'll check these speakers out..
By the way if anybody can give me more options that will be much appreciated

accastil
09-04-2006, 04:14 AM
ive heard your components sound so good with wharfedale diamond 9.1. you could save a lot with this one...but i urge you to audition it with paradigm studio 20 v3. nad sounds quite flat so you might need a bit brigher speaker to lighten up your music.

tony340
09-04-2006, 04:24 AM
Thanks, can anybody also advice me on the Paradigm Monitor 7 Floorstander? It is the same price as the Studio 20, dont you think that the Monitor 7 is worth more than the Studio 20? What i mean is you are getting a floorstander instead of a Bookshelf for the same price.
And also i would have to spend on stands which will cost a fair packet, and i've heard that standmount speakers are never the same as floorstanders, and dont have the bass depth.

audio_dude
09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
am i the only one who owns a pair of these? (mission m35i)

well tony, these are great speakers! i listen to a lot of the stuff you listen to and these have a great sound, deep bass, very soft treble (thanks to the soft dome silk tweeter)

if you have any questions about them ask away!

dean_martin
09-04-2006, 05:51 PM
couple of years ago Mission was on a roll winning all kinds of awards from the British hi-fi press with each new model that came out. I haven't heard much from them lately, but I haven't picked up a British hi-fi mag lately either. what's the story on their current lineup?

tony340
09-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Hey thanks mate for your input on the M35i, what amp do you use? Do you think my NAD 3020i will go well with them? The price in Singapore is USD780 for the M35i, but there are a lot of options, for example the KEF IQ5, PARADIGM Monitor 7etc..
And there are some JAMO Floorstanders as well for the price. Any input anyone?

tony340
09-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Does anyone know who the KEF dealer in Singapore is? I checked the Kef site and sent a mail to the address they have given in Sin but i havent got a reply at all.
Can anybody help?

audio_dude
09-05-2006, 02:23 PM
no idea on the kef dealer, but: i'm using a yamaha HTR-5980 i think, it is soon to be replaced by a genuine amp and this moved to the family room to be used for the 7.1 it was intended to do, lol

i've heard the bookshelf model and the 2-way floor stander model, they both have a soft smooth sound, but can rock out too, perfect for your music.

listen to them again, but also listen to the paradigm, they have a nice sound too, what ever one you like better, get it!

tony340
09-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Hi, can anybody also advice me on the highly acclaimed KEF IQ5 Floorstander? Its won the best speaker award and everyone is mad about it! Does anyone also know about the Paradigm Monitor 7?

N. Abstentia
09-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks guys, this really is putting me on the right track.
The studio 20 is a standmount right? So then i will also have to buy the right stand,which will cost a fair deal. So isnt it better to get a pair of floorstanders instead? I mean wont the Studio 20's+stands come to the price of a pair of floorstanders?

Yes you'll need stands, but generally I find that stand mounted speakers sound much better than floorstanders.

tony340
09-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Thank you for your expert advice, but since the Paradigm Monitor 7 and the KEF IQ5 are cheaper, will it be a good choice to go for one of them?

tony340
09-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Just deviating from the subject of speakers, there is this NAD C540 CD Player going for USD250, its in Pristine condition. Does anyone think that its better than my C521?? Is it worth the price??

jrhymeammo
09-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Sounds like you have strong desire to purchase floorstanders. I'm not so sure if your receiver is powerful enough. Monitor 7s require at minimum of 15 watts. If you choose to go that route, make sure your floorstanding speakers doesnt require alot of power. Again, I've never audiotioned your NAD so if you can find a dealer near you, make sure to bring it with you and hear how they sound. If they wont let you hookup their speakers to your amp, I would kick them in their nuts and look else where.

-JRA

tony340
09-27-2006, 04:44 AM
Somebody help!!!!!!!!!
Yeah guys been busy with the usual stuff, and just got back to my hifi craze
Any body got any info for me?? What speakers should i buy? By the way i did get a NAD C320BEE from a friend but i dont have decent speakers to hook it onto
So fellows any advice?? I'm looking at KEF IQ5, Mission M35i and Paradigm Monitor 7 or Studio 20

jrhymeammo
09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Somebody help!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking at KEF IQ5, Mission M35i and Paradigm Monitor 7 or Studio 20

By someone, I'm assuming everyone but me, since you seem to ignore my previous post. I dont care, I'll still try to help.

Your receiver is rated at 15 watts. As I mentioned above, I have no experience with your NAD, but all of your speaker options are out. The receiver's power output is not capable of playing your speakers. Of course you can choose to do what you want. They are certain guidelines that may want to be strongly considered, but you may choose to ignore them. Alot of members here do including myself. Alot of speaker companies recommend placing tweeters at your ear-level. I prefer mine about 4-8" higher.

Go get a pair of Paradigm Atoms. I'm not too fond of them, but they are considered great pair of budget speakers by many.
If you must get a pair from your list. Get a pair of Studio 20. They require least amount of wattages amoung the list. I think 20s require at MINIMUM of 15-20 watts. Bring your new receiver to a dealer near you and see if they allow you to hook it up.
I even gave you a phone number of Paradigm dealer in Hong Kong. For that you MUST reply this back to me.

-Did you call them?
-Is there a dealer near you?
-Did you pay them a visit?

Of course you may choose not to. I have a feeling that if you dont, alot of members here may feel that you are impossible to help.
I understand that every culture has different standard. For that, they may not allow you to bring in your gear to hookup to items that are not yours. I know in Japan, test drive of automobiles do no exist. Kinda like how Harley D do business in US. Once someone test drives speakers with your equipment, they may consider that item to be unsellable item. Another question for you.

-"Have you listened to any of those speakers with or without your NAD?".
-"Have you had a chance to listen to them at all?
-If Yes, :What did you think of them?"

If you like what you heard then go for it. I want to make sure for YOUR sake that your receivers are capable of driving most speakers. Let's go from there, and maybe we can help you.

I dont think your budget can exceed more than $600. I'm not going back and forth to your original post, but I dont think I'm way off. Consider increasing your budget and look for a pair of high efficent speakers above 95dbs that require no less than 15 watts. They tend to be more expensive.
You may also want consider Klipsch RB61 or something. They have higher sensitivity in general than other speaker companys. I think their sensitivity really flucturates though.

I think you are in search for the ultimate answer to which speakek is the absolute best. Nobody here can answer you that, except for some irrational fools.

If you ended up getting a different receiver, I bet we can give you more help and other options. But I think you had your heart set on that receiver so we can work with that.

I hope you did find my post offensive. I just wanted to make certain things clear with you so we can help in very effective and efficent manner.

We are here to help, so give us detailed info on what you have done so far based on all of our help.

Good luck and we'll be waiting to hear what you've done with our help.

-JRA

jrhymeammo
09-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Edit: I said Hong Kong. You live in Singapore.

jrhymeammo
09-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Here is another info. You were looking for KEF dealer in your country. Try this. I can't and will not help you more at this stage, but others maybe able to.

http://www.kef.com/dealers/world_detail.asp?key=21&itemNumber=0

DISTRIBUTOR GP ACOUSTICS (SG) LIMITED
ADDRESS 1 COLEMAN STREET
#01-01A THE ADELPHI

CITY 179803
COUNTRY SINGAPORE
TELEPHONE
FAX
URL
EMAIL kchew@gpacoustics.com.sg

-JRA

tony340
09-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks sooooo much JRA, i know i'm a pain in the ASS!! The thing is you guys are experts in this subject of hifi and i'm not! All i'm trying to do is get something good for a reasonable price.

I need to also emphasise that i got a Brand new NAD C320BEE 2x50w RMS, Amplifier, which now is my main amp and not the 3020, so i hooked it up with the Mission M35i at the agents and it sounded damn good. But my home is not carpeted and soundproofed like that at Mission, so i cant judge by that. I've not tried the KEF IQ5 with it.

To answwer your question about the Paradigm agent, Yes i did checkout the Paradigm dealer in Singapore, but i coudnt hook up my NAD with it bcos i wasnt able to take it, so yes i did call them up and i paid them a visit.

So to conclude my post, I have got a brand new NAD 50w C320BEE Amp and i need speakers that are best to match it.

Thanks also for the contact details of the KEF dealer, appreciate that.

jrhymeammo
09-27-2006, 09:20 PM
TBrand new NAD C320BEE 2x50w RMS

Thank you tony340. I think that will help alot of us trying to help. I have no experience with mentioned speakers. I'll say all of the makers are solid choice. I would go with KEF myself, but others may say other wise. I came real close to buying KEF Reference 201s. I thought they sounded excellent. If I were you, I would go audition IQ5s so see if I would like it as much as 201s. We might've been under the impression that you have a 15-20w receiver. 50w receiver will give you alot of speakers to consider.

Just go with what you like. If you have some questions about history of spekaer companies, many of older members can help you with that.

Best Wishes.

-JRA

emorphien
09-28-2006, 04:23 AM
So to conclude my post, I have got a brand new NAD 50w C320BEE Amp and i need speakers that are best to match it.
Good luck with that amp, I'm very happy with mine.

musiclover60
09-28-2006, 06:00 AM
First, like a few others have said, listen, listen, listen. Your speakers influence the sound of your system morre than any other component, so live auditioning is the best way to get ones YOU like.

As for the Paradigm 7's, I wouldn't recommend them for the type of music you listen to. I auditioned a pair when I was shopping for speakers a few months ago and they sounded great. Accurate, good balance, tight and accurate mids, good imaging (for me the most important thing in a speaker). So why didn't I get them? Simply put, the bass wasn't there for a lot of the rock I auditioned. When paired with a subwoofer they sounded great on rock, but that pushed the price from seven hundred something to about thirteen hundred something. Too steep for me!

By the way, audition speakers using your amp, but also audition them with the best amps they have in house. This will give you an idea of how they'll perform when you make electronics upgrades.

Happy hunting!

daviethek
09-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks, can anybody also advice me on the Paradigm Monitor 7 Floorstander? It is the same price as the Studio 20, dont you think that the Monitor 7 is worth more than the Studio 20? What i mean is you are getting a floorstander instead of a Bookshelf for the same price.
And also i would have to spend on stands which will cost a fair packet, and i've heard that standmount speakers are never the same as floorstanders, and dont have the bass depth.

I auditioned studio 20's and they were nearly a complete speaker. incredible bang for the buck in a monitor. Don't compare floorstanders to monitors just on price. The floorstanders have the potential to sound boxy in this price range. The monitor's are a mudh smaller source and sound more open. You can add a sub later if bass performance is not up to your standards. If you're stuck on getting a floor stander in your price range then check out Athena 2.2 or Axiom 60's. Both of these got positive reviews for sound and are considered over-performers. I have only heard Mission bookshelf speakers and they were fantastic.

tony340
09-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks Everybody for all your help. i really do appreciate it.
I want to ask you Musiclover60, which speakers do you recommend? And also Daviethek, which mission bookshelf models do you recommend?

tony340
09-28-2006, 08:19 AM
And also Daviethek, can you please tell me the exact model of the Athena and Axiom?
Thanks

musiclover60
09-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Hard call on speakers in that price range. As I said in my earlier post, I was shopping for speakers just a few months ago. I was armed with a budget of $600 - $700 and most of what I heard sounded like crap! Jacked the budget up to $1000, went to some good hi-fi stores, and then my $1000 looked puny! Don't dispair though! There are some very good speakers to be had in that price range (especially if you're willing to get 1 or 2 yr old used speakers).

Here are 4 in that general price range

Definitive Technology BP88b - These are the ones I ended up getting (1 1/2 yrs old used, $ 325). Great imaging, efficient, open sound (should pair nicely with NAD). They also have strong, tight, and surprisingly deep bass. The downside is placement is fairly critical, and midrange is slightly recessed. See my review in floor standing speaker review section. $798 new

Vandersteen 1C - These are the ones I would have bought if the deal on the def techs hadn't come along. Great imaging, keep getting better with electronic upgrades, good bass, treble is adjustable at speakers. The downside is placement is very critical to the sound. $800 or so with stands (which is a must with these speakers!)

Paradigm 7 - Not quite as good as the previous 2, but with a used subwoofer???

Polks - Don't have any great points, but don't have any glaring weaknesses either, and a few of them will surprise you!

tony340
09-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks Musiclover60, which ones can i buy now? the model you have is not there on the site anymore? ANd also can you tell me the agent in Singapore?
Thanks

jrhymeammo
09-29-2006, 09:31 PM
ANd also can you tell me the agent in Singapore?
Thanks

have you tried looking it up yourself?
i think you should get a pair of studio 20. they sound excellent and it is respected by many. there is this place called cherry creek audio and they had studio 20s paired with nad receivers. i thought they were good match, go listen again and see what you think of it.

tony340
09-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Ok thanks, but i wont be able to afford stands as well, so how can i place them without stands? Yes and i did try looking for the Def Tec agent, cudnt get anything outside the US

tony340
10-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey chaps, anyone know of any second hand dealers of hifi in Singapore? I have been trying to get contacts but have got no results.. Please try and help.

superpanavision70mm
10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
If I were you, and I was using NAD I would first go with something like PSB since they work well together. In fact you could go to dmc-electronics website where they are authorized to sell both NAD and PSB. I have talked with PSB reps in the past and they highly recommend NAD components with their speakers, so that would be my first thought for you. It also depends a bit on your budget and if you didn't go with PSB I would say try something like Polk, but for the price of Polk you are probably better off going with the starter line of PSB's called Alpha. If you are ready to spend a bit more money than they have the Image line and the Stratus line. If you REALLY REALLY want to spend some dough they even have the Platinum line.

B&W are highly regarded as well, but I have little experience with them through NAD gear.

tony340
10-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey thanks so much for your expert advice, appreciate it very much. My budget is around USD750, so any PSB speakers for me??

tony340
10-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Fellows, i was told by many members to get brands like Definitive Technology and PSB etc, anyone got any further input to that??

jrhymeammo
10-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey Tony340

Here is something you can read if you havent already.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=4419

tony340
10-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok, the Studio 20 are damn good speakers, but they are very pricey for Bookshelves, so i really cant afford stands as well, but there was this guy who said that ATACAMA shoes will do the job well kept on a shelf, what do you think guys????

superpanavision70mm
10-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Well, I just looked at the dmc-electronics website and for $750 you could get ....

the PSB Image T55 for $649/pair or the PSB Image T65's for $813 if you wanted to spend a few more dollars. dmc-electronics is an authorized retailer for PSB, so I wouldn't shop anywhere else online.

tony340
10-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Hey thanks mate for your help, i'll definitely try and audition them. I'm also thinking very seriously about the reference studio 20, i have asked about what you might think of fixing them with ATACAMA Shoes?? Anyone got any advice???

tony340
10-03-2006, 05:25 AM
Thanks mate i'll definitely try and audition them. Anyone have any advice on my last post regarding the fixing of ATACAMA Shoes with the Reference Studio 20??? I'm now seriously looking at them studio 20's as well

tem
10-03-2006, 08:16 AM
The shop u intend to auction the studio 20 also carries the JMlab range.They have a few models like chorus 706,707 bookshelf and tall standing 726 which are selling at clearing price.They also claim that the 707 is better than their Studio and cost about 2/3 the price of the studio 20.and the tall standing is about the same price as the 20s.

Compare and give us the feedbacks.

musiclover60
10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
tony340,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, overtime, kids, etc. The Def Tech models I mentioned were supposed to be BP8b, not BP88B. They do still have them on their web site, but , like you, I saw no dealer in Singapore. Checked the Vandersteen site (www.vandersteen.com (http://www.vandersteen.com)) and they do have a dealer in Singapore:

Singapore CD Acoustic Equipment. Pte Ltd 1 Coleman Street # 04-02
Singapore 179803 Fax 65 336 2467 Phone 65 336 2467

You've obviously already found a place that sells Paradigm, and Polk, well you can find Polk almost anywhere.

happy Hunting

PeruvianSkies
10-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I just checked the dmc-electronics site and they have a clearance pair of the PSB Image 7PT's just like mine for $650!!!! A great deal indeed...they list for $1500 and sound like speakers that are $3000-$4000.

tony340
10-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks fellows for the advice.. If i were to buy the Paradigm Reference Studio 20, what stands should i buy??
I cant afford VERY EXPENSIVE ONES, my budget is around USD100-120.
What do you think?

accastil
10-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks fellows for the advice.. If i were to buy the Paradigm Reference Studio 20, what stands should i buy??
I cant afford VERY EXPENSIVE ONES, my budget is around USD100-120.
What do you think?
tony, stands are just stands..and if youd ask me, they do not have any effect on the sonic performance of your studio 20s. put on top of anything and still theyd sound good...and that is because they are good speakers. buy the 20s and you wont regret it...they really do outperformed a lot of floorstanders, even those at a higher price category...and they mix very well with nad electronics.

tony340
10-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Thank you so much Accastil, that really clears my mind. Really appreciate it, i think i'll take your advice and get them.
Cheers

BadAssJazz
10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
tony, stands are just stands..and if youd ask me, they do not have any effect on the sonic performance of your studio 20s. put on top of anything and still theyd sound good...and that is because they are good speakers.

While I agree that the studio 20's are solid performers, the type of stands that you use WILL have a discernable difference that some folks will notice. I found this out while auditioning a pair of Tyler Acoustics monitors. There is no accounting for hearing and personal taste.

That said, whomever suggested that you should choose a monitor over a tower IN THIS PRICE RANGE is correct for the most part. Audition as much as possible, but don't get to the point where you suffer "paralysis by analysis." Don't be afraid to pull the trigger on a speaker purchase. The reality is you won't know how well your speakers perform until they are beyond their break-in period. And of course by that time, you'll probably catch the upgrade bug all over again.

Good luck and let us know what you finally decide.

tony340
10-11-2006, 06:52 PM
There are this pair of KEF Q90'S and i thiught they sounded very good with NAD , think the Paradigm Reference Studio 20's are a much superior speaker than both the KEF IQ5 and the Q90?? Or compared with Mission 753 and M35i? I know that personal tastes differ but in an expert point of view which is the more superior of these??

jrhymeammo
10-11-2006, 10:27 PM
in an expert point of view which is the more superior of these??

Dont worry, you already know the EXACT answer to what experts would recommend

There are this pair of KEF Q90'S and i thiught they sounded very good with NAD

Congratulation Tony:):):), sounds like you finally found a pair you have been searching for. And the other great thing is that you heard it with NAD.

jrhymeammo
10-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Give these are consideration

Monitor Audio S2
Jamo D430
Epos Acoustics M5
Castle Acoustics Richmond 3
Ruark Epilogue II
Monitor Audio S1
Acoustic Research AR15
Boston Acoustics VRB
Energy Loudspeakers C-3
JBL E50
JMLab 706BK
Mirage Loudspeakers FRXTHREEBK
Canton NESTOR 403 Bookshelf Speakers
Pinnacle Black Diamond
B&W DM601 S3
Jamo E825
PSB Speakers Century 800i
Canton LE107BK
Monitor Audio S10
Infinity Systems Alpha 50
Energy Loudspeakers e:XL 26
PSB Speakers Image 5T
PSB Speakers Image T45
Phase Technology V-12
Dynaudio Audience 40
Mission MSM74BK
Boston Acoustics VR 950
Dynaudio Audience 42
Polk Audio RTi12
Paradigm Monitor 7
Axiom Speaker Company Millennia M50 Ti
B&W DM 602 S2
Athena Technologies Audition AS-F2
Aperion Audio Intimus 533-PT
Magnepan MMG
JBL E100
Tannoy Mercury M2
and on and on and on and on.........

Keep looking:)
Or like someone said, you just gotta manup, and make a purchase once in a while.

-JRA

tony340
10-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Hey JRA, you were the one who said go for the Studio 20's, so why isnt it there in your list of speaker options??????

tony340
10-11-2006, 11:11 PM
And what exactly do the experts recommend??

jrhymeammo
10-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Okay, so here is the thing.
I dont think you are asking for a real advice. I have to think you are just getting a kick out of it thru this thread. We all kept tell you to go with your heart/ears. You'll graciously agree. Then a day later, you'll ask the same godamn question asking us what the best speakers YOU would love for your budget. I dont think it has to do with your english ability. I'm to a point where I think you are just messing with us. Or you have some kinda issue.
Do you own a car? house? furniture? shoes? Or how about this, have you ever bought anything in your life based on your preference? If so how did you come about making that decision. Speaker decision is exactly the same. If all the purchases you made to this point in your life was soley based on what others may think of you for having them. Then you need to go else where. Sure I may have jumped the gun on that one(as usual) but I'm really confused.
Okay, let assume you are honestly looking to purchase a pair of speakers. I have to applaud you on your patience and desire to purchase the best possible speakers with your budget. I must inform you. There is no contract that says you have to live with your speakers for the rest of your life. Go take a chance on a pair of speakers you liked. If you dont like them, then upgrade. I dont think budget is your problem. Even if you were filthy rich and had $1,000,000 to spend on a pair of speakers, I dont think you'll ever find a pair you will be happy with until you die.
This is the last time I'll post on your thread. I understand that you never asked for my help, so i have to think it wouldnt hurt you at all not getting my help. I'm not speaking on behalf of everyone who posted here, but I have to think you are starting piss off/confusing everyone on this thread. No one here is going to come out and say ABC speakers are the best speakers everyone can ever buy. Not because they would sound like a cocky individual, but making such statment is impposible. I'll say this again. We all have different taste. You even agreed, but on the next sentese you asked again which is better. That is one of the reason why there are so many speaker companies.

So here is my last honest and well intended advice to you. Go with what you think sounded good. No one is going to think less of you for choosing Paradigm over KEF, KEF over Mission, or whatever. They are all GREAT. I think you know this but I'll make it clear. I am no expert here. 99.9% of members here are not experts either. But we know alot. Alot more than the most we walk past on streets. Everyone here has told you to go with your preference. Since you dont really have much audio experience, then take that advice from all the experts here.

Best luck to you and I truly mean that.

-JRA

tony340
10-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Well JRA, to answer your questions, YES I DO OWN A CAR, its a BMW 7 SERIES and i made that decision because i'm a car enthusiast and i got the best for the money.
Yes i do own 3 Houses in South Africa, Singapore and Sri Lanka, i bought them because my Wife and i love what these countries have to offer and we made the best choice with the money, and i obviously have furniture (THAT WAS DUMB!!) And yes i do have several pairs of shoes,(THAT TOO WAS DUMB!!)I Obviously i was extremely offended by your remarks and i'm unable to say exactly how i feel because me vocabulary wont allow me to on this forum, which i think is a great one.
But none the less i must THANK YOU for your advice earlier and thats how i got to know about the Studio 20's and i think i'll get them.
But you really pissed me off and am glad that you wont be on this thread anymore.

tony340
10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
By the way you guys, i think i'll go with the Studio 20's, but i kind of need some advice on stands.
Can anyone tell me the Wood Technology agent in SIN?? I honestly tried but coudnt get any info..
What other stands can i get real cheap that will accomodate my speakers??

Rock789
10-12-2006, 04:41 PM
No one here is going to come out and say ABC speakers are the best speakers everyone can ever buy.
What about Bose :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:

By the way you guys, i think i'll go with the Studio 20's
I would suggest focal jm lab chorus 716S for your pricerange, but the Studio 20's are nice too

tony340
10-14-2006, 04:25 AM
Ok will SANUS Stands be ok for Studio 20's?

accastil
10-15-2006, 11:05 PM
By the way you guys, i think i'll go with the Studio 20's, but i kind of need some advice on stands.
Can anyone tell me the Wood Technology agent in SIN?? I honestly tried but coudnt get any info..
What other stands can i get real cheap that will accomodate my speakers??
hi tony, if you are serious with home audio, i really believe youll be hooked into this as well as much as you did with cars...and based from your narrative, i know you can afford something even better. i recommond you to audition the paradigm reference signature series, preferably the S2...this is an upgrade of the studio20 and i personally think there is a discernable improvement in terms of sonic quality.

but then again, audio preference is very subjective. what maybe good to me may not be as good for you and vice-versa. just give them a listen and let us see what your thoughts are...they are really good when paired with musical fidelity components. the last one i heard has a musical fidelity 150w dual mono integrated amplifier and an audiolab 8000cd player. it was by far the best sounding digital set up i have ever heard eversince i started this enthusiasm with home audio. i just like the sonic character of paradigm speakers above all other brands...but that is just me. KEF is also good but i notice they lack the bass end, especially on their bookshelf models. JM lab also makes really good sounding bookshelves.

finally, later on you may want to venture into analog audio as well. you can do this by adding a turntable into your rack...this is where it gets more and more exciting and addictive at the same time :) enjoy!

tony340
10-16-2006, 08:04 AM
OH NO NO NO, I'm not this filthy rich ASS who has more dough than sense!!
I love cars and thats why i finally got what i wanted (wifes gift actually), but where hifi is concerned i dont really want to spend that much at all.
So something like the Studio 20 will be ideal.
But what stands do you think must be used with it??
I mean i cant afford very expensive ones but sometghing in the region of about USD100 will be fine.
How about WOOD TECHNOLOGY? Or Soundstyle?
Please let me know

tony340
10-18-2006, 03:44 AM
Hey guys can anyone tell me a reasonable pair of stands for the Studio 20??

As i said earlier, my budget is around USD100-120, SO CAN SOMEBODY ADVICE ME?

tony340
10-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Hi guys, i've finally decided on the Studio 20's but i have to ask you what stands to buy for it with my USD100-130 Range.

Would the Mission Stancette stands do??

I've negotiated a good price for it.

Please tell me whether it will do for the studio 20

Thanks

tony340
10-26-2006, 05:21 AM
Hey fellows, long time no hear??? I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question that i've asked in my last couple of posts. Please reply me.

Rock789
10-26-2006, 08:05 AM
nail some 2x4s together, and you have a stand... much cheaper

tony340
10-26-2006, 07:53 PM
OKAY!! But will the Stancettes be alright?

And also i did hear a pair of QUAD 11L with Rotel components, and man they were MIND BLOWING, no words to describe, but i wonder if my NAD components will be as good???

Bcos the Quad is a much cheaper option than the Studio 20, What do ur'll think??

PeruvianSkies
10-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Ok, let me give you some friendly advice...

This site is great for opinions, feedback, and to learn about audio, video, etc. However, it's one thing to ask for everyone's opinion on what to buy or what 'we' think is better, but it really should be your final decision and so if you are wondering if this will sound better than that....try and check it out for yourself. There is virtually no way for one of 'us' to be know the definite answer to questions when we are not using the exact same gear under the exact same conditions. So my advice would be to use this site to your advantage, but also experiment yourself. Good Luck.

dev18283
11-11-2006, 02:00 AM
i have used Mission 753 Freedom along with Nad C320BEE the sound was very good ......check that out before u buy something else.....

dev.

tony340
11-25-2006, 01:25 AM
thanks everyone for their great input through these past few months, i've finally bought the Paradigm Reference Studio 20. they are absolutely mind blowing!!!!!!!! i'm virtually speechless! the best i've heard. thank you everybody.

tony340
11-25-2006, 01:27 AM
now the other big question what amp to use? i want to upgrade the nad so anyone have any advice as how to upgrade? how about the audiolab 8000a?

Florian
11-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Oh boy!

Well, since you like the Paradigm Studios you first have to know what their impedance response is and how efficent they are. Once you know that you can select a few amps in your price range that are suited to drive them while having enough power not to fail or become stressed. Once you have that list done it is time to hear those amplifiers in your home. I am not sure many dealers will let you demo at home at a not so highish price level but maybe you can find a nice dealer. My experience with most dealers is that if you shop in the general area of 5K that the service is **** and not much more then their typical stuff. Move to 10K or more and they start kissing your ass like it was Denise Richards (ok i got a soft spot for her) ;-)

A good companys that springs to my mind that could be a well match would be Bryston.

Cheers

Flo

Rock789
11-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Anthem PVA 20 would be perfect!

EDIT... sorry, I should have said, MCA 20, but the PVA 2 is a good amp... I have a PVA 2 running a pair of VR-1's and they sound great, also have the PVA-7 for my HT which also works great!
the PVA may not be more power than the NAD...

tony340
11-25-2006, 06:56 PM
thanks guys for the input. the fact really is that i'm not in a position to spend big bucks on a amp, so i'm looking for something on a budget.

i auditioned a rotel ra06 amp and it goes damn well with the studio 20's, but its fairly pricey, about USD600 here in singapore. so hence i'm looking for a second hand amp.anyway there is a audiolab 8000a second hand, and i would like someones advice whether it will go really well with the studio 20's because i cant bring the amp home to audition, they wont let me and i cant cart the speakers there either.

why i mean will it go really well is because i'm trying to upgrade and there is no point if it just sounds ok. i know my budget is not really great to upgrade but i'm still only a student and therefore might only be able to afford second hand gear.

Rock789
11-25-2006, 07:16 PM
I got my PVA-2 and a B&K PT3 s2 for ~$425 on ebay... both in great condition...
now shipping was about about another $75 on these things...

I'm not familar with the NAD 3020i but it may be worth it to use this amp with your studio's untill you can afford an amp which matches these speakers?

SlumpBuster
11-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Well JRA, to answer your questions, YES I DO OWN A CAR, its a BMW 7 SERIES and i made that decision because i'm a car enthusiast and i got the best for the money.
Yes i do own 3 Houses in South Africa, Singapore and Sri Lanka, i bought them because my Wife and i love what these countries have to offer and we made the best choice with the money, and i obviously have furniture (THAT WAS DUMB!!) And yes i do have several pairs of shoes,(THAT TOO WAS DUMB!!)I Obviously i was extremely offended by your remarks and i'm unable to say exactly how i feel because me vocabulary wont allow me to on this forum, which i think is a great one.
But none the less i must THANK YOU for your advice earlier and thats how i got to know about the Studio 20's and i think i'll get them.
But you really pissed me off and am glad that you wont be on this thread anymore.

why i mean will it go really well is because i'm trying to upgrade and there is no point if it just sounds ok. i know my budget is not really great to upgrade but i'm still only a student and therefore might only be able to afford second hand gear..

So, a guy with a BMW 7 series and 3 houses is now a student with only $600 bucks to blow on a new amp?

For those that may not know or have not read the thread, JRA accurately tagged this guy as a troll, and this was this piece of work's response.

I know a couple of guys with 7 series BMWs and not a one would fret over such a purchase, i.e. $600 amp to match $800 speakers. Their monthy bar tabs are more than that. Actually, they both own Lifestyle systems. :D

Tony, if you not a troll, then get an Arcam A65 integrated. They go for @ $500 and match extremely well with the 20. If you are a troll, as I think you are, then well.... feel my pwnage.

tony340
11-26-2006, 02:08 AM
The Big Issue Here Is That Jra And Now As I See It The Slumpbuster Too Have Got Severe Attitude Problems, They Have Lost The Whole Point In This Forum As To Be Talking Of Audio Related Topics And Not This S**t.

Look I Dont Want To Kind Of Go Down To The Cheap Cock That These Two Members Want To Go Down To, Because My Vocabulary Wont Let Me To, So All I'm Asking Is Will The Audiolab 8000a Be A Good Match With The Studio 20's Or Is There Something Else I Should Get Instead???

And Just To Get To The Point Slumpbuster, You May Be Living In A Goddamn Country Where A Bmw 7 Series Would Cost Your Ass But Thanks To My Dad And Brother Who Are Two Of The Biggest Businessmen In The Country, I Have All That. The Audio Issue Is Is Something Of A Hobby That Has Got Hold Of Me Of Late And I'm Trying It The Hard Way By Trying To Work For It. In Fact If I Want Them To Buy It For Me Then I Really Dont Have To Be In This Forum Cos My Brother Owns Meridiens And Mcintosh Gear!! In Fact Please You Wonderful People At Ar, Please Dont Take This As A Bad Point, Cos I Really Think That These Guys Have Got It All Wrong That I'm A Troll, Just Trying To Build Up My Setup In An Honest Way, Not Just Asking My Dad To Do It For Me.but Getting It With A Little Sweat.

tony340
11-26-2006, 02:45 AM
So without further hindrences, i urge whoever to give me advice that i'm looking for, will the audiolab 8000a go very well with my studio 20's??? Because the guy at the shop is waiting for my reply, he wont allow me to take the amp and its a real pain to carry them to the shop. Or else what should i buy.?

Florian
11-26-2006, 05:00 AM
If you have all that, then why are you buying cheap Paradigms and Audiolab stuff?

If you are in Singapure then go to the nearest Goldmund Dealer and buy a Goldmund Apologue speakers, Golmund Reference CD Transport and Goldmund Amplifiers and shut up!

The people on this forum are great and have tried to help you and if they find that A-Lab is a bad choice then accept it. But for godsacke stop the bull****!

tony340
11-26-2006, 05:22 AM
So Obviously My Long Narrative Was To No Awail.......

Thats Ok I'll Just Keep My Cool Cos It Doesnt Really Matter What Anyone Thinks Anymore.

The Thing Is No One Told Me That Audiolab Is Rubbish, So You Cut Of The Bulls**t There Florian, I'm Really Loosing It Now.

All I Asked Was Will The Audiolab 8000a Go Well With My Studio 20, Thats All.

Florian
11-26-2006, 07:05 AM
No it wont, its rubbish. Buy a good Bryston amp or similar.

-Flo

basite
11-26-2006, 07:35 AM
it indeed won't, it is rubbish, go out there spend some money on something decent, if you're going budget, that's fine, but at least buy something decent,

for a guy like you, what's that extra $200? we have the rotel ra-06, and i can't complain, it plays good, no issues at all, but for gods sake, listen to some advice too, please, if someone says he haves an amplifier, and he says it's good, then look for that too.

think about it,
these guys helped me out alot,
in fact, without them, i'd end up buying crap, and still don't know what to do with it,

just listen to them, ask questions, and trust them.

Peace,
Basite

SlumpBuster
11-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Hey Tony, a troll is as a troll does. You keep asking the same question, "What amp should I get." Even though we keep giving suggestions. Rock suggested Anthem and B&K, Flo suggested Goldmund and Bryston, and I suggested Arcam.

So, go shopping already. Jeez!

P.S. Your brother's system blows!:ciappa:

Florian
11-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Hey Tony, a troll is as a troll does. You keep asking the same question, "What amp should I get." Even though we keep giving suggestions. Rock suggested Anthem and B&K, Flo suggested Goldmund and Bryston, and I suggested Arcam.

So, go shopping already. Jeez!

P.S. Your brother's system blows!:ciappa:

I actually only meant the Brysron, Goldmund is darn overprized :)

tony340
11-26-2006, 09:47 PM
thank you all very very much, i really appreciate the expert advice.

i'm very amateur in this hifi game and need a lot of advice.

thanks for also telling me that the audiolab is a piece of s**t!!

sorry for any misunderstanding that we've had but at the end of the day i'm glad the AR is the winner

thanks again EVERYBODY.

accastil
12-01-2006, 09:58 AM
thank you all very very much, i really appreciate the expert advice.

i'm very amateur in this hifi game and need a lot of advice.

thanks for also telling me that the audiolab is a piece of s**t!!

sorry for any misunderstanding that we've had but at the end of the day i'm glad the AR is the winner

thanks again EVERYBODY.
tony, paradigm makes use of anthem gears to tone their speakers. you might want to give them a listen through your 20's.if you dont like them, rotel, arcam, BnK are nice pairs for your 20's as well. a 70 to 150W power rating is more than enough to make your 20's sing so dont you worry on spending too much on the amps.

tony340
12-01-2006, 08:03 PM
thanks accastil, i did listen to the Rotel RA-06 and it went brilliantly with the studio 20.

i was just wondering whether the RA-05 would be as good? its a 40 wpc as compared with the 70 wpc RA-06, but do you think there is a real big difference in the two?

Carl Reid
12-01-2006, 08:43 PM
I need to also emphasise that i got a Brand new NAD C320BEE 2x50w RMS, Amplifier, which now is my main amp.........
.................................................. .........................
.................................................. ........................

So now that you've found speakers that are a great match to it, why do you want to upgrade your brand knew NAD amp?

emorphien
12-01-2006, 09:31 PM
So now that you've found speakers that are a great match to it, why do you want to upgrade your brand knew NAD amp?
Agreed. The NAD is a nice amp which if it matches with your speakers well, I don't see a reason to replace.

tony340
12-02-2006, 05:42 AM
i feel the rotel sounds much better with the studio 20 than the nad.

thats why i ask whether there is a real difference between the RA-06 and the RA-05? i have only heard the 06

please let me know.

basite
12-02-2006, 06:19 AM
hmmm, i'd go for the RA-06, there is most likely to be a difference between the 2, being that the ra-06 might be able to give you more bass (more loudness in fact), it will also play a little cleaner, there is somekind of a rule (not really a rule, more a guideline), the more watts, the better, this, of course, does not apply for those cheap crappy party 'power' amps.
anyways, i'd go for the RA-06, if you can, you should audition the ra-05 too, and whichever one you buy, they both have pre outs so you can add an extra amp (power amp) when you feel like you need more power.

Greetings,
Basite.

accastil
12-02-2006, 11:50 AM
i feel the rotel sounds much better with the studio 20 than the nad.

thats why i ask whether there is a real difference between the RA-06 and the RA-05? i have only heard the 06

please let me know.
if im not mistaken, the recommended amp range for the studio 20 ranges from 15 to 150w. i personally would recommend you to maximize the full potential of your 20's by choosing the amp nearest to 150w. the lower rated amps should be ok but then, the 20's might not give you what it is capable of delivering. im now using the rb03 for my 20's but im planning to replace it with the rb1070...i believe this would push my 20's further to its full potentials.

tony340
12-04-2006, 02:36 AM
thanks fellows, i think the ra-06 sounded brilliant with the studio 20, and i think i'll take it.

cheers

tony340
12-18-2006, 06:30 PM
hi
i'm now in search of speaker stands for my 20's, i've looked at the mission stancette stands which are retailing at a very good price.

do you think this is a good stand for the studio 20?

thanks

emorphien
12-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Depends, how much are they selling for? :)

tony340
12-18-2006, 07:18 PM
its going for around USD135.

what do you think?

tony340
01-01-2007, 07:42 PM
hi folks
any input on what stands i should get for my Studio 20? how about the mission stancette?

please let me know.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AT AR!

Rock789
01-01-2007, 09:00 PM
build some stands
how much are some 2x4s?

tony340
01-02-2007, 01:54 AM
hey man i'm no good with building stuff and getting something made here in singapore would cost three times the price of buying one!!

just let me know what i should get

thanks

Feanor
01-02-2007, 04:54 AM

Tony,

These are valid questions but the answers aren't necessarily easy -- just like a lot of things in life.

The consensus is that the Paradigm Studio series is a significant step up in refinement over the Monitor series -- smoother, more detailed sound. However the trade-off is, as you've heard, that the bass goes somewhat less deep and -- more importantly perhaps -- the speaker simply isn't able to play as loudly.

I haven't checked the price of stands lately, but minimally acceptable stands for the Studio 20 are likely to run $200 or more, so that is a cost factor.

So if it's refinement you crave, go for the Studio 20's. In the future you might trade up to floorstanding Studios, or you might add a reasonably good subwoofer to your system for say $600-700 which can give you even more depth and power handling than the floorstanders. But if you need that power handling right now, go for the Monitor 7's.

tony340
01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
hi feanor thanks for your very expert advice, but i did go ahead and buy the studio 20, and all i can say is WOW!! they are super!

so now i need some stands for them, i have looked at very reasonably priced mission stancette stands at USD135, so what do you think?

please keep me posted

thanks

accastil
01-04-2007, 03:01 AM
hi feanor thanks for your very expert advice, but i did go ahead and buy the studio 20, and all i can say is WOW!! they are super!

so now i need some stands for them, i have looked at very reasonably priced mission stancette stands at USD135, so what do you think?

please keep me posted

thanks
congratulations for owning both the 20's and the ra06 tony. they are indeed sounding very good together. btw, what source gear are u using for these? on stands, any good looking stands will do...if you feel it lacks the bass then add a decent subwoofer and that should be more than enough to shame floorstanders costing 3 to 4x your 20's.

tony340
01-04-2007, 04:36 AM
actually accastil i've not hooked them up yet, i'm still to buy the ra-06!

i will buy it very soon, cos i think its a perfect match for the studio 20.

but i need advice on stands and cables etc, what should i get?

accastil
01-06-2007, 04:56 AM
actually accastil i've not hooked them up yet, i'm still to buy the ra-06!

i will buy it very soon, cos i think its a perfect match for the studio 20.

but i need advice on stands and cables etc, what should i get?
get whatever stands appealing to your ears. as for the cables, be careful in choosing since the 20's may sound a bit bright with rotel when paired with a wrong speaker cable. im using a platinum exposure speaker cable for mine and it sounds just right