Stands for DQ-10 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stands for DQ-10

dingus
09-01-2006, 11:54 PM
looking for plans to make a pair of stands for some DQ-10's as part of a group project. any and all help is greatly appreciated.

likeitloud
09-02-2006, 05:06 AM
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html

Check this project out, I've made two sets for friends, very simple, and turn out very
professional looking, if you take your time. Good Luck.

dingus
09-02-2006, 05:53 AM
very good link, i can use that for other speakers, but the DQ-10's take a specific non-standard stand.

from what i understand they are relatively simple in design, so any owners that could relay measurements should do the trick as well.

squeegy200
09-18-2006, 02:32 PM
looking for plans to make a pair of stands for some DQ-10's as part of a group project. any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I experimented with a couple of home brew stands for my DQ-10s. What worked best was a pedestal that was more of a block. I angled the top so that the speaker would rest in a laid back angle positioning the drivers directly at my listening position. Inside I placed a heavy weight to make it stable.

If I were to do it again. I think I would make them a bit taller as the lowest edge of the speaker was only eight inches off the ground even though the drivers were much higher. I would also match the finish to the side panels of the DQ10s.

I can post dimensions and pictures if you are interested

dingus
09-18-2006, 02:58 PM
I can post dimensions and pictures if you are interested

that would be great, thanks!

squeegy200
09-19-2006, 08:31 PM
I apologize for the poor photography. My camera is difficult to use in low light conditions.

My creation is crude but it works. These are part of a project in progress as I rebuild this pair of DQ10s.

For stands, I created small boxes for the DQ10s. They are rectangular in shape and slightly angled on the top platform.

The dimensions are
17" wide
9" tall in the front
8.5" in the rear
10" deep

Inside the small enclosure I've added weight in the form of a cinder block. It adds mass to the pedestal and keeps the DQ10 very stable. It also angles the speaker back a bit so that it points directly at my ear level where I will sit.

See the link for more pictures. (Again sorry for the blurriness but you will get the idea)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v78/squeegy200/Dahlquists/
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/squeegy200/Dahlquists/DSCF0544.jpg

dingus
09-20-2006, 09:15 PM
squeegy, those are pretty cool, very simple yet utile. thanks a bunch!

btw, do the speakers sit freely on the stands or are they screwed together?

squeegy200
09-21-2006, 10:20 AM
The speakers sit on the pedestals without any attachment. The weight seems to be stable enough without screwing them down.

I wasn't impressed with the stands offered for the DQ10s. And the stands often sell for somewhere around $300 a pair!.

So I decided to build my own.

I'll refinish them to match the wood trim of the DQ10s. Then the entire setup will look more cohesive.

dingus
09-21-2006, 11:55 AM
good to know.

thanks again, it is really appreciated.