Will splitting HDMI degrade the signal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will splitting HDMI degrade the signal?

rbdopp
09-01-2006, 06:38 PM
If i split my HDMI output from the cable box to go to both my SONY LCD TV and my Surround sound system to get full audio... will I lose resolution to my TV?
Thank!
Bob

elapsed
09-02-2006, 12:22 AM
A more typical solution would be to run HDMI from your Cable Box to your LCD, and run seperate Digital Coax or Optical Audio from your Cable Box to your reciever. :)

rbdopp
09-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Thanks for reply.

The problem is that both those options are only two channel – my surround is seven, and does a nice job of "faking" it with it's algorithms (Pioneer VSX-82TXS). To get true surround (like an airplane flying in from behind cannot be "guessed" at by L/R inputs) I need the HDMI. After posting, I realized the Pioneer has an HDMI "Out" just for this purpose. I run the signal through the tuner rather than splitting it.

This sure has a some learning curve associated with it – but the results are amazing.

Thanks again,
Bob

elapsed
09-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Bob - both Digital Coax (S/PDIF) and Optical Audio (TOSLINK) are digital connections, and are fully capable of passing multi channel audio. These are not the same as your L/R RCA Audio inputs, which are capable only of stereo sound.

But as you said, you can certainly use the HDMI switching capability on your receiver. The vast majority of consumers do not yet have HDMI capable receivers, and so they use Digital Coax or Optical Audio for their surround sound.

rbdopp
09-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I am slowly learning. Thank you for your help, i just got optical connection for it. Amazing sound.
:)