Shopping With The Boss [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shopping With The Boss

likeitloud
09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Well, buy boss walks into my shop today and announces "Lets Go Speaker Shopping"
I go, whata nuts, He's been wanting to upgrade ever sense I told him his Bose Life-
style system sounded like crap. So off we go to get the Polk Audio Monitor 70/40
combo, with matching center and a 12" sub, psb12 or something. Also the Pioneer
Elite VSX 74TXVi A/V receiver. Dropped like 3g's in 15 minutes. I guess he knew
what he wanted. On paper, it looks like a pretty good rig. I'll check it out over the
weekend. Anyone familar with those speakers? I know the lowdown on the receiver.
Thanks

drseid
09-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Well, buy boss walks into my shop today and announces "Lets Go Speaker Shopping"
I go, whata nuts, He's been wanting to upgrade ever sense I told him his Bose Life-
style system sounded like crap. So off we go to get the Polk Audio Monitor 70/40
combo, with matching center and a 12" sub, psb12 or something. Also the Pioneer
Elite VSX 74TXVi A/V receiver. Dropped like 3g's in 15 minutes. I guess he knew
what he wanted. On paper, it looks like a pretty good rig. I'll check it out over the
weekend. Anyone familar with those speakers? I know the lowdown on the receiver.
Thanks

Those speakers wouldn't be on *my* list if I were shopping in that price range (then again, I have already gone on record previously as not caring for the Polk speakers I have heard in the past, so please note my bias)... Everyone has different tastes though, so maybe they match up with your boss's? The PSB sub also would not be on my list but is a quality product IMO that I am sure most would be happy with.

My guess, though, is he again went with brand name recognition as opposed to sound. 15 minutes is hardly enough time to really make any serious speaker purchasing decision IMO.

---Dave

likeitloud
09-02-2006, 04:59 AM
Those speakers wouldn't be on *my* list if I were shopping in that price range (then again, I have already gone on record previously as not caring for the Polk speakers I have heard in the past, so please note my bias)... Everyone has different tastes though, so maybe they match up with your boss's? The PSB sub also would not be on my list but is a quality product IMO that I am sure most would be happy with.

My guess, though, is he again went with brand name recognition as opposed to sound. 15 minutes is hardly enough time to really make any serious speaker purchasing decision IMO.

---Dave
Totally agree, He had in his mind made up, and that was that. God knows I gave him
plenty of reviews from axiom/b+w/svs etc. He wanted to be able to drive to a store
buy his gear, and drive home, and if there were any issues, have a easy return
transaction. At least he canned the Bose stuff. BTW, with the dvd "Gone in 60
Seconds" playing, the system was'nt to bad (with a H/K AVR). In music mode,
so, so. Not my thing, but hey, it wasn't my 3k.

PHiX
09-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I bet he is much happier with speakers which he decided to get (regardless of whether they sound better), than having some wise ass from work (you ;)) tell him exactly what he should get. Especially bosses usually like to caress their own ego and tell themselves in the mirror that they did a good job today. Even if you think it sounds like ****, if you're at his house listening to his new gear tell him that it sounds as good or maybe even better than your own set-up... that is if you want a raise any time soon. :D

GMichael
09-02-2006, 04:37 PM
I thought this thread was about shopping for speakers with the wifey.

The system he/you picked out should sound many times better than that Life-style system. Welcome your boss to our road to audio bliss.

emorphien
09-02-2006, 08:00 PM
For what it's worth, Polk and H/K usually make a good match in my experience, even if Polks aren't the best speakers out there.

likeitloud
09-03-2006, 04:33 AM
I bet he is much happier with speakers which he decided to get (regardless of whether they sound better), than having some wise ass from work (you ;)) tell him exactly what he should get. Especially bosses usually like to caress their own ego and tell themselves in the mirror that they did a good job today. Even if you think it sounds like ****, if you're at his house listening to his new gear tell him that it sounds as good or maybe even better than your own set-up... that is if you want a raise any time soon. :D
Not a bad idea, but I'm never down with any ego boosting, I'm going over today to do
the SPL/TEST DISC, routine, and check his bi-wiring, We'll see how it all goes later
today.

likeitloud
09-03-2006, 04:41 AM
I thought this thread was about shopping for speakers with the wifey.

The system he/you picked out should sound many times better than that Life-style system. Welcome your boss to our road to audio bliss.

I wish that was the case, but audio shopping with her can get touchy. I swear, if
I bring one more speaker in here, I don't think I'd be waking up tomorrow. Not
having a dedicated "listening" room set up yet, has shall we say, put the friggin
"no mas" on the hobby, till the next purchase. Having 3 sets of vintage monitors
that weigh 50lbs each was not a good plan for a living room (my fault), but hey
I had no choice.

bobsticks
09-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Interesting thread.
Like most not associated with forums like this, convenience is probably a major issue with yr. boss. No problem with that. The cool thing is that he's taken that first step toward the addiction:) Several of my buddies have undertaken the upgrade path after "inheriting" pieces of equipment. Usually, one just has to hear the difference and maybe after some tweaking bossman's system will have some synergy.
In any event it's going to be an improvement...

Cheers

carl h
09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone..my first post. I am looking to upgrade my main speaker, which are Energy e:xl 26's. I have a budget of $1200.00 and would be open to suggestion's as to what I should test drive. My music tastes range from Joni Mitchell to Slayer and I equally enjoy the home theater experience. My receiver is a Yamaha RXV-1300, rears are Energy c-1 and my sub is a Paradigm pdr-12. Where I live (Nova Scotia) I have the oppertunity of testing Warfedale Diamond 9.6, Energy c-500, Klipsch rf 62, Monitor Audios RS 6 and Paradigm Monitor 7V2 .

drseid
09-04-2006, 01:38 AM
Hi everyone..my first post. I am looking to upgrade my main speaker, which are Energy e:xl 26's. I have a budget of $1200.00 and would be open to suggestion's as to what I should test drive. My music tastes range from Joni Mitchell to Slayer and I equally enjoy the home theater experience. My receiver is a Yamaha RXV-1300, rears are Energy c-1 and my sub is a Paradigm pdr-12. Where I live (Nova Scotia) I have the oppertunity of testing Warfedale Diamond 9.6, Energy c-500, Klipsch rf 62, Monitor Audios RS 6 and Paradigm Monitor 7V2 .

Welcome Carl. You may want to post this as a new thread as it really has nothing to do with the OP. I am sure that way you will get the responses you need.

Regards,

---Dave

likeitloud
09-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Interesting thread.
Like most not associated with forums like this, convenience is probably a major issue with yr. boss. No problem with that. The cool thing is that he's taken that first step toward the addiction:) Several of my buddies have undertaken the upgrade path after "inheriting" pieces of equipment. Usually, one just has to hear the difference and maybe after some tweaking bossman's system will have some synergy.
In any event it's going to be an improvement...

Cheers
Well I went over and balanced everything out, he used pioneers MCACC set-up mic,
as he should have for start-up, but he had everything set to "large", and the cross-
over was way off. He started goofing with the manual speaker settings. Fixed all
that, did the SPL set-up, and got the audio right for his HD. It sounds great in DVD
playback, we checked out KING KONG as a test, but for rock music, it ain't
gonna cut it, for me anyway. He's into CW/Classical/Jazz. We threw on some
Toby Keith, and it was ok. BTW, that Elite receiver, not to bad, and say what you
like about polk stuff, but that sub also, not to bad. Thanks, later

westcott
09-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Even marginal speakers can sound better than good speakers improperly calibrated or poorly placed.

I see a lot of nice equipment from members on this site but very few of them have them properly set up or calibrated.

If you help him more with the latter, I am sure those Polks will sound just fine.