Need tv and dvd unit which turn full-on when powered up. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need tv and dvd unit which turn full-on when powered up.

koehler
08-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi All,

I have a firend who would like to make a kiosk type machine. Having a problem find either which will automatically power-up fully when power is applied.
The wish is to have both units turn on when power is applied, and have the dvd automatically start playing.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

paul_pci
08-31-2006, 09:27 PM
One suggestion that comes to mind is to use a macro based remote control. With the macro remote control, you can program the dvd and tv into the remote then set a macro to turn on all related components and switch to the appropriate tv input, but then there'd have to already be a dvd in the unpowered dvd player, which sounds kinda screwy because once you insert a dvd, the power is on. So, in sum, a macro function on a remote control executes multiple steps with the touch of one button, but it does need to be programmed.

elapsed
09-01-2006, 06:15 AM
have a firend who would like to make a kiosk type machine. Having a problem find either which will automatically power-up fully when power is applied.
The wish is to have both units turn on when power is applied, and have the dvd automatically start playing.
Any suggestions?
Hi koehler - take a look at the Logitech Harmony line of remote controls. For instance, you can setup a macro for "Watch DVD" which will power on the TV, set the source to component, power on the DVD player, and power on your receiver with the correct source. The macro's are configured online, and then uploaded to the remote via USB Cable, making this process very simple.

AVMASTER
09-01-2006, 09:10 AM
check out Niles automated switching systems; model AC-3, CS12V, LS-1

koehler
09-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Appreciate the suggestions.
However, the remote idea will not work as these will be kiosk-type machines that may lose power at any time (power outage, janitor unplugging unit, etc). No one will be there with the remote.

So, I guess I need to get an older type of TV/DVD with an actual on/off switch.
Wonder if any of the real cheap Walmart units still have them?

Either that or find a hack on the net which bypasses the on switch to insure that when power comes back, the unit is automatically turned on.

Thanks for your help guys, any other suggestions?

paul_pci
09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Appreciate the suggestions.
However, the remote idea will not work as these will be kiosk-type machines that may lose power at any time (power outage, janitor unplugging unit, etc). No one will be there with the remote.

So, I guess I need to get an older type of TV/DVD with an actual on/off switch.
Wonder if any of the real cheap Walmart units still have them?

Either that or find a hack on the net which bypasses the on switch to insure that when power comes back, the unit is automatically turned on.

Thanks for your help guys, any other suggestions?

You can still find TV/DVD combo units at Best Buy and Costco.

koehler
09-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Paul thanks, we're going to BB today to order a fridge anyways.